Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Turbo Kit for 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 03:53 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo Kit for 350Z

Originally posted by axis007
WE are in the process of developing a TUrbo Kit for the 350Z. we are using my (axis 350Z as the platform) we have experince good results previousl in my Axis MR2 Spyder.

Single turbo about 400hp at the wheels about $5,000.00

Twin turbo about 400hp at the wheels about $7,500.00

1. which option would you choose,

2. would you buy it?

thanks for your input
1. I would consider buying a TT at $5,000.00 if it were installed. $7,500 is clearly too much. $35.5k + $7,500k = $43k. That's about how much the old Z31s cost and we all know what happened there. Even $40.5k seems high. Remember, we know we're getting affordable sports cars.

2. Not for 3 years/36k miles unless my warranty is preserved, something I think will only happen with Nismo.

In short, sorry James but, probably not in my near future.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:45 PM
jran76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Chebosto
the stock internals on the VQ30 can hold up to around 11

VQ35, maybe around the same. ..

where's Mardigrax?

SX7r (Thomas in Dallas) runs 12.8 on his VQ30DE (4th gen Max) with a FMIC and single turbo, the compression is slightly lower than the Z, but I would think the internals are slightly improved.... So, I would guess a max of 12, and that may be pushing it for the long term. 10-11 would probably be about right.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:15 PM
Rahtok

There would have to be some significant advantages to the TT setup. I had already thought that I'd limit an FI solution to about 5k, and I'm reluctant to do even that if I'm voiding my warranty with no other warranty to put in its place.

I'd vote option 1.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:41 PM
axis007
Banned

We are gathering interest at this moment,

The car is being taken apart for evaluations next week,
we car currently planing to use a T3/T4 turbo, I like to use the ball bearing version as it does spool up considerable quicker.

The VQ35 from inside sources at Nissan should take 8 psi with the stock internals, i will be using my 350Z for durablility testing, from my sources at Nissan , the tranny (6 speed) is comfortable on taking 400hp / 400 pund of torque.

I will keep you posted on the project.

As for the Twin TUrbo set up by the other company, from a marketing perspective I agree the Twin Turbo sounds awesome, but in terms of marketbility (due to the high cost) we don't know if the public will accept the high cost, that remains to be determined.

I have had good luck on our MR2 spyder turbo thus far, I like the 350Z very much , and i think it has great potential.

Regarding the fake HKS interfooler question, yes it is my car, yes it is a REAL intercooler, no it is not functioning, we fab it to see if they is room for the intercooler and piping, the people form Nissan really like it and ask us to leave it in for the SEMA show and LA auto show, it will be turbo soon, (hopefully in a month)

James Chen
Axis Company Car
Nissan 350Z (yellow)
Nissan 300ZX TT Z32 about 550HP
Toyota MR2 Spyder now at 350hp to the wheel
and a bunch of other cars.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:47 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

whoops. sorry James
didnt meant to call it 'fake hks intercooler'

just meant

'non operational hks intercooler'

:P

good luck
Old 01-23-2003, 12:12 PM
hoglecl

option 1 for me.

I currently have a T3/T4 on my old (and recently undriven) 280Z. The ball bearing mod should help lag which is acceptable on the 280. However, if I were doing it again I would consider an air to liquid to air intercooler system so that the piping length could be reduced (this would also reduce lag). Since I in don't spend time on the track so I would not be in the turbo for extended times the air to liquid to air intercooler would work. (I would also like to try to cool down the liquid reservoir to a little extra).
Old 01-23-2003, 02:32 PM
gfornal

What are you going to pull over at every stop light to put more ice in when summer comes around? Air to Air setup is best for street use. Water to Air is the best setup for drag racing. It you have a properly tuned kit the lag will be very short.

thanks,
Greg
Old 01-23-2003, 03:57 PM
Cintel7

------------------------

Guilty as charged, DSMer here ...my fourth vehicle is a 95 talon. Do you mean you think a 20g would spool at a lower rpm on the VQ35?
------------------------

Based on our gearing, compression ratio, and engine size.. I think we can make 8 lbs at 2700s rpm range.

But I like the T3/T4 since there are so many different variations out there (good for prototypes). The 20G was easy for us since we don't have to change the exhaust manifold on DSM.

Good luck Axis!
Old 01-23-2003, 11:44 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how about a t3/60-1 for the single option
Old 01-25-2003, 10:14 AM
Zyal8tr

Default DOESN"T SOUND RIGHT

Why isn't the Single turbo pulling more horses out? How big is it? Obviously small if it can't get better numbers! My brother had twins on his supra with 320 hp and when we put the T-66 single it took it to 627 RWHP with an upgraded fuel system!
Old 01-25-2003, 02:16 PM
ColecatZ

Default Re: DOESN"T SOUND RIGHT

Originally posted by Zyal8tr
Why isn't the Single turbo pulling more horses out? How big is it? Obviously small if it can't get better numbers! My brother had twins on his supra with 320 hp and when we put the T-66 single it took it to 627 RWHP with an upgraded fuel system!

you are comparing a car designed for low compression and turbos to the Z with high compression and internals geared for NA use.

IF the internals would take it and you lowed the compression ratio (ie...more boost could be dialed in) then we'd see the monster numbers like the Supra puts up. Not to mention those cars were way over engineered...perfect for enthusiasts though.

Several 500+ hp 300zx's running around Dallas as well as monster Supras, but they were all designed for forced induction. As we see more parts for the Z.....we;ll start seeing these numbers climb. Personally I think 360ish to the wheels will satisfy me. I would live with that.

OH YEAH.....Axis, I have to vote single turbo as the Z has enough torque down low to be sufficient with only the one. A sequential setup with a smaller turbo would only make a good launch and 60' time almost unattainable. You'd spin all over the place. Full boost at 3-3500 would be perfect.....IMHO.

Good luck and please keep us updated.
Old 01-25-2003, 02:25 PM
Michael-Dallas

Default Re: DOESN"T SOUND RIGHT

Originally posted by Zyal8tr
Because boost is boost. A single turbo generating 1 bar is pumping the same amount of air as twin turbos generating 1 bar. Likewise, a small turbo generating 1 bar is pumping the same amount of air as a large turbo generating 1 bar, granted that more stress may be placed on the small turbo and the large turbo may be more efficient in generating that boost.

If I were to go the turbo route, then I would opt for the simplest solution. Simple = less headaches. 300ZX twin turbo = complicated = worries = headaches = $$$

Michael.

Last edited by Michael-Dallas; 01-25-2003 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-26-2003, 04:23 AM
Guru

Default Re: Re: DOESN"T SOUND RIGHT

Originally posted by Michael-Dallas
Because boost is boost. A single turbo generating 1 bar is pumping the same amount of air as twin turbos generating 1 bar. Likewise, a small turbo generating 1 bar is pumping the same amount of air as a large turbo generating 1 bar, granted that more stress may be placed on the small turbo and the large turbo may be more efficient in generating that boost.
Well boost is boost but boost means nothing. What you want is power. I can generate more power at 10 PSI with one turbo than another at 18 PSi on the same exact motor. Why? Efficiency. Same reason why you'll pick up HP with a bigger front mount intercooler even at same boost pressure. Denser air and less presure loss means more power (assuming you're also increasing fuel). People who don't know any better often talk about boost pressure but really that is irreletive. What you want is a properly matched turbo to your engine size and your power goals.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:03 PM
tek

Default Re: Turbo Kit Feedback

Option 1.

Twin turbos would be "nice" there's really not much reason for them other than a less complicated exhaust manifold setup if the single turbo is properly sized.

Honestly, I think the car has plenty of torque low-end so I could care less about a little turbo lag. Nobodys going to be running obscene levels of boost anyway on the stock internals so such a kit should have an appropriately sized turbo.

At the point where someone is building up their engine with low compression pistons and beefy rods they can go for a much bigger turbo and simply bolt it on and adjust mapping.

Too bad no one at Nissan is smart enough to give us an engine option for "stregthened internals" straight from the factory. I'd have ponied up $3k for that without hesitation... Ahhh one day they will get enlightened.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:50 PM
joeshow750

Honestly, I think the car has plenty of torque low-end so I could care less about a little turbo lag.
I agree.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:23 PM
Aloharacing

Option #1.

Old 03-20-2003, 08:51 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Well??? Almost 2 months, any news Axis
Old 03-21-2003, 12:20 AM
Smooth350

What are your thoughts for an automatic drivetrain with the single turbo. Can the automatic drivetrain handle it?
Old 03-21-2003, 05:01 AM
mcduck

I can generate more power at 10 PSI with one turbo than another at 18 PSi on the same exact motor. ....................... What you want is a properly matched turbo to your engine size and your power goals.
While I agree wholeheartedly with this second sentence above. The first is just flat out wrong. I think everyone here is talking about a car in which all other factors are equal... the only thing being changed is boost pressure. In that case, you would never generate as much power with 10 PSi as you would with 18PSi. The higher boost may not be as efficient because the entire system is not matched, but without changing any other parts, the 18 PSi car will generate more power. Well, as long as you don't blow the motor!

As for the Axis set up (if it is still under development), I think I would go with option one.

Same output... less headache... and more within my budget.

The only reasons I would go TT would be if it produces more power and because it looks and sounds cooler to say you have a Twin Turbo.

Regardless, I would not buy either of these set ups unless the target price includes install and comes with some sort of warranty. Without these elements, I'll wait on GReddy or Nismo to roll something out.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:03 AM
whosdady

Default Interesting thread

I had a small (SP63) Single turbo on my Supra. It spooled nearly as fast as my stock twins but produced significantly more power. On low boost it would hit over 500RWHP and 600RWHP on high boost. I would not be worried about the lag of a single turbo.
A single will be less expensive, weigh less, produce the same amount of power and will fit better in the engine bay. Sounds like a simple solution to me.
I would be more concerned about traction isssues with this car. My car with CAI and grounding kit breaks loose in shiftronic mode at roughly 287HP. I can only imagine what would happen with 400HP. I would need to purchase slicks just for my commute to work

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit for 350Z