Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Dynamat on Pop Charger Heat Shield

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 06:45 PM
blap0220

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamat on Pop Charger Heat Shield

What do you guys think about putting dynamat on the pop charger heat shield? My theory is that the heat shield is like a big plate acting as a heater for the filter since it conducts the engine heat so well. If I dynamat the inner side of the heat shield, I think it might work better as an actual heat shield. Opinions?
Old 03-22-2006, 06:59 PM
zz350zz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could do that but to tell you the truth....it wouldn't make a difference
Old 03-22-2006, 07:04 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Check out a company named Thermo-Tec: http://www.thermotec.com/

They make aluminized heat sheilds for the exact purpose you're looking for.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:06 PM
mikead_99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess my thought is that yeah, the shield will conduct heat pretty well, but air is really not a great thermal conductor. The air passing over the shield will pick up a little heat, but I think it is passing over the shield so quickly the effect is pretty minimal. This is a bit of conjecture as I have no idea what the actual flow rate and air exchange rate in that area actually is, but I'm assuming it doesn't stay in the area very long and is pulled through the system before much heat is transferred. I would think the plenum directly on top of the motor would have the same effect, if not worse due to the proximity to the heat source, the direct contact to the source, and the turbulence of the air within which would increase the thermal transfer from the plenum to the air entering the engine. I also think that since there really isn't a true, good seal to isolate the engine bay from the intake the pc probably pulls in plenty of heated air from within the bay. (yeah I don't think that gasket material on the shield does much for us, it helps I'm sure, but it ain't perfect by any means) The lack of internal/external isolation is probably the main deficiency with the pc, but hey if you want true CAI there are alternatives. The pc is what it is, and for the price to performance it is hard to knock.