Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Strange consistent knocking/rattle noise coming from the engine i think.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 12:52 PM
sicilianoNYC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did u get that fixed?
Old 04-15-2006, 10:52 PM
zedated

Not yet. Trying to confirm whether that is the problem or not.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:06 AM
screener
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zedated
Mine started right after my last oil change, as well! That's very curious. The fuel line runs under the passenger floorboard. Did you inquire about the fuel line damper problem?
I agree with zedated look into the fuel line damper problem first.I to have the same noise as described but I'm not worried about it.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:43 AM
sicilianoNYC

beddow you arent going to get it fixed? i mean i agree i doubt anything bad can come from it, its just a bit annoying (then again my stereo is on full blast 99.9% of the time so the only time i notice it is when i turn it down when entering my subdivision)
Old 04-16-2006, 11:32 AM
screener
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sicilianoNYC
beddow you arent going to get it fixed? i mean i agree i doubt anything bad can come from it, its just a bit annoying (then again my stereo is on full blast 99.9% of the time so the only time i notice it is when i turn it down when entering my subdivision)
You wrote this earlier:
I also notice that the noise isnt there for the first few mins the car is on, once it gets warmed up the noise occurs at any idle...

Mine gets the noise just before the car warms up to 150* stays consitent until I drive then my noise is gone totally.This only seems to happen to mine after car has sat overnight,and my SRT4 did the same exact thing.Thats my symtoms I thought they sounded the same as yours but it appears yours is doing it all the time at idle.You might have something to worry about mine on the other hand is nothing big at this moment.
Keep us posted on what it is the dealer finds.
Eric
Old 04-16-2006, 12:17 PM
lilaznxboi08

i get alota annoying noise from the dash, no mods to dash at all.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:35 PM
groovin_350z
Sleeps in 350Z

my 06 does it right now and im really worried . it only has 3100 miles on it and it has this weird knocking noise at idle and goes away when i accelerate too. when i release the throttle it comes back every so often. im taking it to the dealer tomorrow to get it checked but it sounds nasty.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:33 AM
up2nogood

^ Keep us updated. My 05 has been doing this since about 1,000 miles - has 3800 now. I know that it is the noise you are talking about.

If you really want to hear it, pull in a garage and the sound bounces off the walls. It sounds a lot like an engine knock from bad gas, but I use shell so that can't be the case. Actually, the sound is present no matter what gas I use. It also has a slight vibration that goes with each "knock", "clunk", or whatever you wanna term it.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:23 PM
tmounk

I have the same problem when idling, I first noticed when I got home after pushing it a little and when I parked, I can feel the vibration and walked around the car and heard it best from the front left wheel.

I'm clueless myself
Old 09-21-2006, 04:06 AM
markimuzz

Hi guys

I'm from the UK - but it seems this noise is an international one!! Any updates on this since the last postings?

Thanks

Mark
Old 09-21-2006, 06:59 AM
mikead_99

This really sounds like the fuel damper TSB to me.

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB06-042.htm
Old 09-21-2006, 07:08 AM
markimuzz

That's precisely it! Spent ages on the UK sites looking for this with no joy.

Thanks for your efforts - i'll send this my tuner.

Mark
Old 09-21-2006, 07:09 AM
woodstock300s

i have the same problem...i took it to the dealer and they told me as long as the cel isnt on they cant do anything and that i prob just bought bad gas...they wont do anything for me...im gonna primnt that out and show them...thanks mikead99
Old 09-21-2006, 01:49 PM
markimuzz

HI guys

Just for the record, I am running on 99 Ron grade, so the fuel spec doesn't seem to be a factor - mucky fuel yes, but not octane.

My 05 Zed has the full APS TT, pipes etc etc. - so I dont think the turbo is a factor either. It seems to happen on N/A set ups too.

Thanks again - and God bless USA for helping me out!!
Old 09-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Jason021174

Originally Posted by sicilianoNYC
I had to go to nissan this morning anyways to get my tranny fluid flushed and rear diff fluid changed (60k mileage norms), and i asked them about the noise...nissan is obviously clueless and told me its the throw out bearing in the clutch.....now i doubt that cuz the noise he is prolly talking about has been there since i bought the car and many of you know that noise where the clutch is out and you hear some clanking....this is a different noise that only seems to happen when the car is idle and it is loudest near the passenger floorboard if you were to put your ear to it. When i try to listen under the car i dont hear anything like that though, which is weird. This noise just started happening 1 day after i got my latest oil change....coincidence? also what is RIGHT below the passenger floor area???
does it do this when you turn the a/c on? i have heard something like this on mine when at idle and a/c is not on. but as soon as i turn the a/c on the idle goes up a little and no more funny noise. i have had the dealer run diagnostics on it and nothing came up abnormal.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:53 AM
Brocken

Have you checked your oil?
My engine made noises like that when the oil was really low.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:01 AM
mikead_99

I just wanted to follow up and point out another possible sollution. I would start with feeling that fuel damper hose as instructed in the TSB, just to make sure that isn't your problem. It wasn't in my case. I was getting a random thunk, but showed no codes in ODBII. I hooked up Scantool (Cipher would work just as well, or any other ODBII toll w/Nissan Enhanced support) yesterday and bumped my idle up from 650-660 to 750 rpms. Problem solved, idle is perfectly stable there. I'm not sure if this applies in the UK, but I know for emissions compliance in the states the idle is set that low and IMO it is pretty close to the stall point for this motor. My 03 Maxima had a similar issue, although it is louder with this car, and had the same idle point. It could well be that your problem is that simple.

Last edited by mikead_99; 09-24-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:10 PM
bofa

Originally Posted by groovin_350z
my 06 does it right now and im really worried . it only has 3100 miles on it and it has this weird knocking noise at idle and goes away when i accelerate too. when i release the throttle it comes back every so often. im taking it to the dealer tomorrow to get it checked but it sounds nasty.
I had the same problem.. it was an annoying rattling thud'ing sound... almost sounded like a bad exhaust least right under the floorboard.. it turned out to be a low oil problem (possible consumption issue). I'm guessing it was the valves tapping because of the lack of oil. The car only had 2000 miles and was about 2 quarts low. Yikes... dealer is doing a consumption test now. Is your oil pressure guage running oddly low and not moving when driving?

For the OP though, I'm sure it's something else...