Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Strange consistent knocking/rattle noise coming from the engine i think.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 04:32 AM
sicilianoNYC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange consistent knocking/rattle noise coming from the engine i think.....

So I just passed 62k on my 03' and Since a couple days ago I have noticed that at idle I am hearing a knocking or thudding noise coming from what seems like the passenger floorboard area of the car (this is where the noise is its loudest)....I never had this issue till a couple days ago, and now whenever the car is idle it does this. The effect of having the clutch in or out has nothing to do with it, it happens regardless. I did a search and couldnt find that much about this....has anyone else experienced this knocking noise coming from that area? Like I said its consistent and doesn't let up until you start to drive and then I don't know if its just the engine is loud and overtakes the noise. This kind of worrys me as I have never heard this before and im at 62k miles.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:49 AM
sicilianoNYC

I also notice that the noise isnt there for the first few mins the car is on, once it gets warmed up the noise occurs at any idle...
Old 04-12-2006, 04:52 AM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Busted engine mount?
Old 04-12-2006, 04:53 AM
stein

Do you drive your car hard? Does the knocking go faster when the rpms go up? Does it go away when the rpms go up? Hard to tell from this distance and could be anything from a rod bearing to a motor mount, doesn't sound good though... I would suggest take it to someone that knows engines that can listen to it.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:04 AM
sicilianoNYC

It seems to go away once I am not idle and driving, but then again it could just be that the regular sound of the engine is overtaking that noise.....
Old 04-12-2006, 05:29 AM
sicilianoNYC

anyone else encountered this before?
Old 04-12-2006, 06:59 AM
sicilianoNYC

bump....
Old 04-12-2006, 09:52 AM
1 2 NV

It could be anything. It may even be your exhaust vibrating against something, along with the other suggestions. Why dont you put her on some jack stands and crawl under there to see if you can spot something?
Old 04-12-2006, 12:12 PM
undercat

Originally Posted by 1 2 NV
It could be anything. It may even be your exhaust vibrating against something, along with the other suggestions. Why dont you put her on some jack stands and crawl under there to see if you can spot something?
+1
If it does it when you're idling, have you gotten out of you car and walked around it to look for the noise? Or drive it up on some ramps so you can look under it.

But it might be you manifold about to blow because you hit 2 shots of nos and your floor board rivets are about to shoot out j/k

I guess you don't have the extended warrenty otherwise you would have just taken it to the dealer. Hope you can figure it out.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:41 AM
sicilianoNYC

I noticed this morning, the sound does go away when the car is in gear...once i put it in first and start to move it goes away...what could this be if it only occurs at idle...strange
Old 04-13-2006, 07:38 AM
Miraclekidjr
Banned

I have the same problem with my 03 (36K) I have no idea what it is so I'm going to get it checked out with my free 100 point inspection
Old 04-13-2006, 12:21 PM
devildoc

I've noticed it also. Although it's on my drivers side and it only seems to happen in the morning It's kind of like a loud pulsating sound coming from the farthest forward outboard part of the passenger floor board. It seems to go away when I accelerate and I'm not sure if the sound is just canceling it out. It also has nothing to do with the clutch being in or out. Last, it doesn't happen right when I start the car up, it's only after it warms up.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:16 PM
highside107

Is this the axle TSB that everyone has? I don't think it is from what you guys described, but it's worth a search on this forum... plenty of threads about it.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:08 PM
lex350

my old max did this when ever I used cheap crappy gas.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:10 PM
undercat

Originally Posted by highside107
Is this the axle TSB that everyone has? I don't think it is from what you guys described, but it's worth a search on this forum... plenty of threads about it.
the axle TSB was a clicking coming from a rear axle that could be heard when accelerating (generally in first or reverse). at least thats what i had when i brought my car in for the fix
Old 04-14-2006, 11:42 AM
sicilianoNYC

no only when the car is idle, i had the axle click fixed 2 years ago....this si something else
Old 04-14-2006, 05:22 PM
chazo

Originally Posted by undercat
the axle TSB was a clicking coming from a rear axle that could be heard when accelerating (generally in first or reverse). at least thats what i had when i brought my car in for the fix
btw: what did the dealer do when you took it in to get fixed?
Old 04-14-2006, 09:18 PM
undercat

Originally Posted by chazo
btw: what did the dealer do when you took it in to get fixed?
i think it was just a bearing on the rear axle that was replaced. they were nice enough to replace the wrong one the first time so I ended up with two new bearings after it was all over. it was all done under warrenty
Old 04-15-2006, 06:40 AM
sicilianoNYC

I had to go to nissan this morning anyways to get my tranny fluid flushed and rear diff fluid changed (60k mileage norms), and i asked them about the noise...nissan is obviously clueless and told me its the throw out bearing in the clutch.....now i doubt that cuz the noise he is prolly talking about has been there since i bought the car and many of you know that noise where the clutch is out and you hear some clanking....this is a different noise that only seems to happen when the car is idle and it is loudest near the passenger floorboard if you were to put your ear to it. When i try to listen under the car i dont hear anything like that though, which is weird. This noise just started happening 1 day after i got my latest oil change....coincidence? also what is RIGHT below the passenger floor area???
Old 04-15-2006, 09:55 AM
zedated

Originally Posted by sicilianoNYC
This noise just started happening 1 day after i got my latest oil change....coincidence? also what is RIGHT below the passenger floor area???
Mine started right after my last oil change, as well! That's very curious. The fuel line runs under the passenger floorboard. Did you inquire about the fuel line damper problem?

Quick Reply: Strange consistent knocking/rattle noise coming from the engine i think.....