Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery
View Poll Results: Carbotech brake pad survey
I have a track model, and if Carbotech made excellent, but less expensive street and track pads for my car, I would definitely be interested.
23.21%
I have a base/touring model, and if Carbotech made excellent, but less expensive street and track pads for my car, I would definitely be interested.
76.79%
I wouldn't buy them, no matter how good or inexpensive they were.
0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Carbotech needs your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 07:04 PM
MaddMatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: Carbotech needs your opinion

OK, so I told you I was going to get in some samples of backing plates for the front of the track model and rear of (what I think is) the touring model, and I did.

Short story:
For the track model, we can make pads relatively inexpensively for you. I'm thinking in the $129-$139 for the track worth Panther Plus/Panther XP compound. For a high perf. street product, we can likely bring something to market for ~$110. As a comparison, Track compounds like Hawk Blue list for ~$170, and a good street material like Hawk HP+ lists for ~$130.

As for the base/touring model, as far as I can tell, the rear brake pad is ideltical to the rear of a 2002 Altima. I was just at the Nissan dealer today and stared at the rear brakes of a 350Z for 10 minutes and damn if I can tell a difference. I already know what the front of your car is (same as the Altima from 93-01) and we have that.

So what I need is feedback. Take a second to vote in this poll. The parts are readily availible but I'm not going to waste time/money getting them and stocking them if you guys don't care. So let me know what you want.

Last edited by MaddMatt; 02-03-2003 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:24 AM
Alang

If you can offer pads with performance at least as good as the stock pads, but without the dust problem, I would probably buy them. If these pads are low dust and perform better, then there is no question I would be interested.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:01 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont swap pads unnescesarrily, but when it comes time to get new pads, I will buy whoever makes the best pads. simple.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:03 PM
Flyingscot

Matt,

If you need a test mule, I'd be willing. In return, you would get my street and track commentary.

If you're interested, PM me. I have the Track Model.

Cameron
Old 02-04-2003, 05:26 PM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I agree with ares...

I won't change the pads before time, but when time comes I will most likely NOT use stock ones and try to find something with better performance, less dust, at a reasonable price.

I have never bothered with dust, until this car. Good lord! Day after the wash the rims are all black again...

In comparision, my Expedition goes a couple of weeks before you start to notice the dust build-up. And before somebody brings up there is a big difference, I know that. But I drive them both to work, around the same streets, around the same speeds, and the Expedition has a much bigger load/weight to stop...
Old 02-04-2003, 11:04 PM
uro279

Default Extremely intereted

Matt,
I called you and spoke extensively with you about primarily street/light track pads for my Track model. I would definately buy a pad with the above criteria especially if it performed better than stock but dusted less and wore well.

Count me in!
Old 02-05-2003, 07:39 AM
12SecZ

Default I voted Touring would buy

Like most others say, it's the dust that I hate.

Blackens the rim in less than a week.

Performance would be a factor too.

Great performance and no dust.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:39 AM
MaddMatt

I hear you guys. Just wanted to interject that there is not such thing as a "dustless" pad. And if you find one, I garuntee it won't stop for ****.

Having said that, our new Bobcat appears to produce a much lower level of dust (read this next part carefully) compared to it's closest performance competition. I place our new street material on the same palying field as Hawk HP+, Axxis Ultimate and Porterfield R4-S in terms of performance. So when compared to those pads, I would definitely say the Bobcat will produce less dust. I simply do not know how good/bad the OE pads are, so I cannot make a definitive statement one way or the other in that regard.

Anyway, feedback seems positive. Looks like I'll be ordering some plates when we make our next big order. I will, of course, keep you guys posted.

Matt
Old 02-05-2003, 06:12 PM
mcclaskz

I recently installed the Panther+ on the fronts of my Performance model in addition to some SS lines and motul 600 fluid. I can notice a huge difference in pedal feel, and it feels like i can stop shorter than I used to, especially at high speed. There is a fair amount of dust compared to oem, and a little squeal, but I feel it is worth the performance benefit. I will install the matching rears as soon as they are made.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:58 AM
MaddMatt

I recently installed the Panther+ on the fronts
Just wanted to clarify for everyone that Robert is talking about our track compound, which is a completely different line of material from our Bobcat. Panther does dust quite a bit when used on the street.

Robert, see you next weekend at VIR
Old 02-06-2003, 10:30 PM
uro279

Thumbs up Thanks for clarifying the dust issue

Originally posted by MaddMatt
I hear you guys. Just wanted to interject that there is not such thing as a "dustless" pad. And if you find one, I garuntee it won't stop for ****.

Having said that, our new Bobcat appears to produce a much lower level of dust (read this next part carefully) compared to it's closest performance competition. I place our new street material on the same palying field as Hawk HP+, Axxis Ultimate and Porterfield R4-S in terms of performance. So when compared to those pads, I would definitely say the Bobcat will produce less dust. I simply do not know how good/bad the OE pads are, so I cannot make a definitive statement one way or the other in that regard.

Anyway, feedback seems positive. Looks like I'll be ordering some plates when we make our next big order. I will, of course, keep you guys posted.

Matt
Now I must clarify my statement. For me, I just want a brake pad that performs better than stock, is rotor friendly compared to similar performance competition, and also dusts compared to similar competition.

Yes, dust is a pain, but it's livable. I'll be waxing my wheels as I heard that that makes it much easier to clean the dust.