Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

HELP: What suspension should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003 | 10:11 AM
sdpearso

Default HELP: What suspension should I get?

So I am ready to buy a suspension kit but need help deciding which one to get.

This car is my daily driver but I also will be tracking it frequently and want the best of both worlds. I can sacrifice a little ride comfort though.

Here's what I've been considering:

Tein Flex
NISMO kit
JIC FLT-A2
Others?

I know some of you have heard or read some reviews on these and I have not been able to find anything on the topic.

SKiDaZZLe and RaceBoy, I want to hear what you think about each of your kits. Lemmeno.

Help!
Old 02-05-2003 | 10:41 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict
Premier Member

Hey Shaun,

What did you decide to do about the rear fender skirts? Keep 'em or ditch 'em?

Bill
Old 02-05-2003 | 01:11 PM
sdpearso

Originally posted by zwindsor
Hey Shaun,

What did you decide to do about the rear fender skirts? Keep 'em or ditch 'em?

Bill
I ditched them.
Old 02-05-2003 | 01:12 PM
SandMan

Default $$$

How much do you want to spend?
Old 02-05-2003 | 01:16 PM
sdpearso

Default Re: $$$

Originally posted by SandMan
How much do you want to spend?
From what I've seen they are all around $2K so that is my target.
Old 02-05-2003 | 01:19 PM
SandMan

They are all good suspension systems.
But I went with TEIN Flex (16 way adjustable), because of the EDFC setup they have. You can control from inside the car. Nismo is very nice, you can get stabilizer bars with those, but aren't adjustable. JIC is adjustable 15 way, but doesn't have an EDFC to adjust. Your best bet is TEIN if you are willing to spend the cash for it. But they are all great systems.
Old 02-05-2003 | 01:21 PM
sdpearso

Any modifications required for the EDFC?
Old 02-05-2003 | 01:21 PM
SandMan

Do you have the Nav system? If not you can always put your EDFC in that compartment. The EDFC is very small, saw it at Fizz autosports and easily able to fit into the Nav compartment.
Old 02-05-2003 | 01:23 PM
SandMan

EDFC is just a small computer that controls the suspension with wires. You just need to hook those wires to the suspension system and they will be able to adjust for your ride prefrence. Plus the EDFC has 3 custom memory setting. So it is a one button push setting for either city driving, autocross, or whatever you want.
Old 02-05-2003 | 01:24 PM
sdpearso

I do have the Nav but I was reffering to the boxes that attach to the shocks. (They do attach in some way I assume) I have heard that they fit with the front strut brace but I haven't heard how they mount on the rear shocks.
Old 02-05-2003 | 01:27 PM
SandMan

Well I am sure they will be able to fit in the rear without any problems. I am not installing these myself, but having them professionally installed. These are made for the 350Z so I doubt you will have any problems with them.
Old 02-05-2003 | 03:05 PM
DocofMind

We just did a 350z last week and outfitted his car with the JIC FLTA2. I also have these exact coil overs on my S2000.

From what i can tell you is that there are a few differences between the Tein and the JIC.

Pros for Tein: They have the ability to be adjusted from inside the car. You can change the damper settings with the push of a button. Cool.

Cons for the Tein: Standard piston size and single level of height adjustment

Pros for JIC: JIC is one of the only manufacturers that uses a thicker piston in their units. By doing this, the ride quality is greatly improved. It also minimizes the pogo effect. Another technological advancement that these units have is that the height is double adjustable. What i mean is that not only is the spring perch adjustable, but so is the entire shock body. Lowering the car this way will allow you to drop the car without the loss of any suspension travel.

If you need any more info or specifics, let me know, be glad to help any way i can.
Old 02-05-2003 | 03:30 PM
sdpearso

Originally posted by DocofMind
Pros for JIC: JIC is one of the only manufacturers that uses a thicker piston in their units. By doing this, the ride quality is greatly improved. It also minimizes the pogo effect. Another technological advancement that these units have is that the height is double adjustable. What i mean is that not only is the spring perch adjustable, but so is the entire shock body. Lowering the car this way will allow you to drop the car without the loss of any suspension travel.

If you need any more info or specifics, let me know, be glad to help any way i can.
This point interests me because in the limited research I have done on the JIC setup, I have only seen a lowering range of 1.7"-2". This is too low for daily driving.

Are you saying that I would be able to setup the kit with maybe .75" of drop?

Last edited by sdpearso; 02-05-2003 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-05-2003 | 06:45 PM
sdpearso

Originally posted by VQracer
Have you checked DA LIST?

Victor
I just did. All it did is add more options.

HELP!
Old 02-05-2003 | 08:49 PM
valuetl

HKS or CUSCO for me.
Old 02-05-2003 | 11:01 PM
fdao

HKS sounds like a good compromise between ride quality and performance.
Old 02-06-2003 | 05:58 AM
valuetl

CUSCO has new sway bars out now also.
Old 02-06-2003 | 07:27 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

main question is:

Sure, you get a 35/40/whatever way adjustable suspension, but How often are you really going to change the ride height, camber, toe. whatever on it.

sure you might raise the car in the winter and then lower it back, but r u really going to mess it with all the time? when you DO change something, the characteristics of the car changes and you'll eventually settle, then you'll learn the way the car handles like that. but then when you mess it with again, you'll have to get used to it..

granted its nice to have all those options, but with my racing coilovers i have on my other car, i rarely change the settings once it was 'dialed in'

if you want a nice factory sport ride, im sure NISMO's stune suspenion is the way to go. ask raceboy, he seems so happy with his new purchase, and you know him and his racing background, why didnt HE go for the Tiens?

if you wanted the bells n whistles...probably the best bet would be TIENs. since you can adjust the dampening inside the car, so your lazy butt doesnt have to open the hood and turn a ****.

its just practicality and money issues.
Old 02-06-2003 | 07:31 AM
valuetl

Some cars you have to take out the back seats to get to the coils so I can see using it then.
Old 02-06-2003 | 07:42 AM
ProjectGoose

i agree with Chebosto, but that is what will be good for me.

What are you looking for in your setup? does the EDFC matter that much to you? that seems to be the main crux of the argument here.

Quick Reply: HELP: What suspension should I get?