Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

ACT Clutch/PP opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 09:51 AM
trescincuenta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACT Clutch/PP opinions

I have the opportunity to get a GREAT deal on an ACT heavy duty pressure plate and street disc. Is anyone running this setup? Any opinions? Ideas? Complaints?

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2006, 10:00 AM
billly

heavy duty? or street-strip?

I have the street strip and pedal feel is like stock with an extra bite/grab. all in all a great piece
Old 04-25-2006, 10:11 AM
trescincuenta

The PP is the heavy duty and the clutch disc is the full face street one
Old 04-25-2006, 02:02 PM
sprazyo

Will you ship free to Newark DE?
Old 04-25-2006, 02:05 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trescincuenta
I have the opportunity to get a GREAT deal on an ACT heavy duty pressure plate and street disc. Is anyone running this setup? Any opinions? Ideas? Complaints?

Thanks!
For NA use, thats a nice setup. For FI, I would get the 6 puck. What do you mean by "great deal"
Old 04-25-2006, 02:42 PM
MIAPLAYA

I have an ACT clutch coming to me right now that I'll be installing with their flywheel. After talking with Daryl at ACT (I know him pretty well) they are confident the disc he is sending me (need to cinfirm disc type) will hold 500+ ft/lb which I will need for Stage 2 Turbonetics. I know it works well now in the Mossy car with Stage 1. I'll let everyone know how it goes for me. And I'll do the best write up I can...
Old 04-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice! One other note for those looking for ACT clutches. I had a customer that was VERY sensitive to clutch grab, feel etc, and was adamant about wanting a smooth operating clutch. Anyways, I ordered the ACT clutch, with Fidanza flyhweel. I ordered their race 6 puck with sprung hub, only to my surprise, I recieved the unsprung version of the 6 puck. Anyways, after a talked with the customer, we decided to go ahead and install it, and I was pleasantly suprised with how darn smooth the thing was. The customer loved it, and all is well.

So dont be afraid to try the ACT unsprung 6 puck hub....VERY streetable.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:45 PM
dbmtrx123

I am running that set up, and I like it alright... It has good bite, and seems to help in acceleration (more direct feel and a lot less clutch play) over stock. The draw back is that it is very noisy, especially when warmed up. It will rattle at low rpms and at idle. Rob at Z car garage told me that it was the loudest clutch/flywheel setup he had heard, and I agree. It almost sounds like something is broken, but if you can deal with the noise, it is a good set up.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:44 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by dbmtrx123
I am running that set up, and I like it alright... It has good bite, and seems to help in acceleration (more direct feel and a lot less clutch play) over stock. The draw back is that it is very noisy, especially when warmed up. It will rattle at low rpms and at idle. Rob at Z car garage told me that it was the loudest clutch/flywheel setup he had heard, and I agree. It almost sounds like something is broken, but if you can deal with the noise, it is a good set up.
My car is absurdely loud anyways thanks to the Nismo LSD so why not add something else to the noice making mix..I'll make sure and let everyone know how the clutch does. I'm using their flywheel too.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:38 PM
trescincuenta

Id love to hear what you think of it MIA once you get it installed.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:54 PM
dbmtrx123

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
My car is absurdely loud anyways thanks to the Nismo LSD so why not add something else to the noice making mix..I'll make sure and let everyone know how the clutch does. I'm using their flywheel too.

You could have a rolling percussion band. heh heh, good luck. Like I said, I'm happy with it...other than all the racket!
Old 04-25-2006, 08:56 PM
MIAPLAYA

Id love to hear what you think of it MIA once you get it installed.
I'll do a nice write up and post my opinions once its on the car. Should have the clutch next week. Still technically deciding on the flywheel. Mossy uses the ACT flywheel with their ACT clutch and it works well at the track. I'm thinking of using the Fidanza though as I have heard god things about that as well. I'd love to use the Jun flywheel but I'm unsure of compatibility with the ACT unit. Decisions decisions...
Old 04-26-2006, 06:39 AM
trescincuenta

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
For NA use, thats a nice setup. For FI, I would get the 6 puck. What do you mean by "great deal"
Well lets just say its under $350 for both the HD PP and the street disc. Funny how the street disc actually is more expensive than the 6 puck race disc. I would go with the six puck if it was a sprung hub but its not its solid. I got burnt in the past with a sr20det swapped 200sx i had and I went through 3 transmissions ont hat car till I put in a sprung hub clutch and then all was well. According to the ACT site the HD pressure plate and street disc combo is good for 517 lb/ft of torque. The race 6 puck holds 662 lb/ft. I think even if I go boost ill probably be in the low to mid 400's in torque so I should be fine with the street disc setup.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:10 AM
MIAPLAYA

Well lets just say its under $350 for both the HD PP and the street disc. Funny how the street disc actually is more expensive than the 6 puck race disc. I would go with the six puck if it was a sprung hub but its not its solid. I got burnt in the past with a sr20det swapped 200sx i had and I went through 3 transmissions ont hat car till I put in a sprung hub clutch and then all was well. According to the ACT site the HD pressure plate and street disc combo is good for 517 lb/ft of torque. The race 6 puck holds 662 lb/ft. I think even if I go boost ill probably be in the low to mid 400's in torque so I should be fine with the street disc setup.
I have the Street disc coming to my knowledge. If it slips with Stage 2 on the car you better believe I'm gonna switch to the 6 puck...
Old 04-26-2006, 07:26 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the street disk is more than enough clutch for all but the hardest core drag guys, or guys make BIG (over 500 whp) power

Sprung 6 disk is a sweet - I have one of those in my 280ZX (594 at the wheels, 630 torque). I would stay away from a solid hub 6 disk if it were me and go with a proper triple disk if you needed something that aggressive
Old 04-26-2006, 07:53 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
the street disk is more than enough clutch for all but the hardest core drag guys, or guys make BIG (over 500 whp) power

Sprung 6 disk is a sweet - I have one of those in my 280ZX (594 at the wheels, 630 torque). I would stay away from a solid hub 6 disk if it were me and go with a proper triple disk if you needed something that aggressive
See that concerns me...When I talked to Daryl at ACT his info was that he felt the street disc would hold low to mid 500s tq wise. The Stage 2 Turbonetics kit should put down 550 RWHP and about 530-540 ft/lb of Tq. Maybe I should change and get the sprung 6 puck disc instead knowing full well that by this summer I should be making those numbers.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:56 AM
trescincuenta

They dont have a sprung 6 puck application for the Z, only 6 puck unsprung
Old 04-26-2006, 08:04 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've known Daryl for most of my adult life...I would trust exactly whatever it is he told you
Old 04-26-2006, 08:10 AM
MIAPLAYA

They dont have a sprung 6 puck application for the Z, only 6 puck unsprung
Hmm I'll ask Daryl when they plan to have one. I know it doesn't show their flywheel on their site but I know they make one. Its on Mossy Performance's Z car right now...

Quick Reply: ACT Clutch/PP opinions