Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

ACT clutch installed...driving impressions..

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 10:09 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACT clutch installed...driving impressions..

Well picked up the car this morning with an ACT street disc clutch setup installed. Unfortunately my ACT Streetlite flywheel did not make it in time. I had to go with a JWT flywheel as there was nothing else available last minute. The difference between the Prolite ACT flywheel and JWT flywheel are pretty significant if you ask me. The Prolite definitely revs up faster then the JWT. Good or bad it does. The setup I have now is no less streetable then the ACT street/Prolite setup I drove last week. My clutch engagement seems to have moved a little lower then it was with the stocker and te clutch being new is still pretty grabby till its broken in. This setup is slightly noiser then the other ut still not as noisy as the JWT clutch/flywheel setup I drove before. With the JWT flywheel the car does definitely revup faster and boost seems to come on a bit sooner mostly in part to the engine spinning up faster I'm sure. All in all this is a good setup and I am happy after day 1. I still kind of regret not using the ACT Prolite flywheel with the clutch as I definitely liked it better then the JWT but this setup is nothing to be upset about.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:35 AM
NISMOFO

Sounds good and very streetable.

I have the ACT street clutch/flywheel combo in my car, but I'm getting a really annoying noise when I let off the gas. I usually have to be in gear to hear it. But I could also be in neutral, and if I rev it past 2K it'll do it just barely. I don't know what it could be but I'm tempted to drop the transmission myself.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:31 AM
caliprincejr

I dropped the transmission myself with two buddys last weekend, to replace the stocker. Diffinitely, NOT a walk in the park. I replaced it with the Act street and stillen flywheel. Revs up a lot faster, have some chattering, not that bad. Well worth the mod, and time for a stronger clutch. I did it myself because I didn't have the money to pay someone to do, or else I wouldn't of done it myself by far.....
Old 05-24-2006, 07:05 PM
dbmtrx123

I've had the ACT setup for about 9 months now. It does make a lot of chatter in the lower rpms. This is due to lack of a rubberized grommet that buffers the stock pressure plate and flywheel to keep the noise down. However, I don't know of any aftermarket clutches that offer that. Other than the noise, I am still pleased that I went with this set up. It is still very grabby after 12,000 hard miles, although next time I think I will go with something different.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:02 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caliprincejr
I dropped the transmission myself with two buddys last weekend, to replace the stocker. Diffinitely, NOT a walk in the park. I replaced it with the Act street and stillen flywheel. Revs up a lot faster, have some chattering, not that bad. Well worth the mod, and time for a stronger clutch. I did it myself because I didn't have the money to pay someone to do, or else I wouldn't of done it myself by far.....

First clutch change on a car or something???

I think the 350Z is REALLY REALLY easy to do a clutch/flywheel swap on. You can have the trans out in under 2 hours if you know what you're doing. Easier than other cars I've pulled tranmissions on.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:50 AM
taurran

How much clamping force on this clutch, and any estimations as to how much power it can hold reliably?
Old 05-26-2006, 01:19 AM
KingOfV6

on my 05 Z i had my clutch go out at 15k, so i picked up a slightly used ACT street duty clutch and flywheel w/ pressure plate it was great, and i loved the stiffness of the clutch, it also probably gave my calf muscles a good workout , Felt lighter, also made that cluttering sound, didnt care I dig it...I could do with it in heavy traffic too...

BTW if you sell your car, explain to the newbies why it makes that cluttering sound, otherwise they might be skeptical on low rpms lol

Last edited by KingOfV6; 05-26-2006 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:49 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all you have to do is rev it higher and ride the clutch a bit more to get rid of that chatter. its a much stronger clutch and can take you riding it more...
Old 05-26-2006, 06:40 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by taurran
How much clamping force on this clutch, and any estimations as to how much power it can hold reliably?
According to Daryl at ACT 519 ft/lb
Old 05-26-2006, 06:47 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by audiblemayhem
all you have to do is rev it higher and ride the clutch a bit more to get rid of that chatter.
And wear your clutch out faster just so you don't feel any chatter?

its a much stronger clutch and can take you riding it more...
Clamping force of the cluch has absolutely NOTHING to do with how much slipping it can handle. The clutch friction material determines that. And the ACT clutch has an organic disc just like a stock clutch. Riding ANY clutch excessively isn't a good idea.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:20 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
And wear your clutch out faster just so you don't feel any chatter?

Clamping force of the cluch has absolutely NOTHING to do with how much slipping it can handle. The clutch friction material determines that. And the ACT clutch has an organic disc just like a stock clutch. Riding ANY clutch excessively isn't a good idea.
Agreed...the chatter is no worse then the stock one was. In fact it chatters a little less....so far I have 500 miles on it and I like it a bit more now. The pedal firmness seems to have gone down a little. Maybe its a result of break in or maybe I'm just used to the forced required now but its not as stiff as it was day 1. Overall I'm very happy with the setup...The car DEFINITELY moves better with the flywheel on there. I find myself at higher speeds then I used to be with the same amount of throttle input so there was a bit of a learning curve. The turbo seems to spool all the time now prolly as a result of the revs jumping up quicker. I would recommend this setup to anyone who daily drives their car. While I would still recommend the ACT street/Prolite setup more so then what I have the JWT flywheel is nothing to be sad about if thats what you get..
Old 05-26-2006, 09:27 AM
TheCajunStyle

What's the range on the clutch pedal between engagement/disengagement with your new setup? The Tilton setup I'm using is nearly on/off with about 1/8" of travel in between disengaged and FULLY grabbing. It makes it a little bit tougher at the track, but it's all about getting used to it and allowing maximum torque to the wheels without spinning.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:48 AM
05-Z

I have the JWT flyweel/clutch combo, the chatter is definitely noticable. It doesn't bother me that much though.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:53 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
First clutch change on a car or something???

I think the 350Z is REALLY REALLY easy to do a clutch/flywheel swap on. You can have the trans out in under 2 hours if you know what you're doing. Easier than other cars I've pulled tranmissions on.
took me 6 hours to do a tranny swap on the maxima