Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

I think I found my marble in the can engine problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 07:15 PM
Zmego1985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I found my marble in the can engine problem.

Ok everyone let me state that I made a mistake when I cleaned my air intake the other day. I did not attach the hose underneath, causing my idle to get lower than usual. Second I have ported heads and the ferrea valve kit with JWT cams, and never had my idle bumped up causing my car to almost stall as it is. Well I just put the hose back on the intake, and the noise was almost gone, but did it sometime. So what I have came to is the plenum noise is the car trying to shut, but not being able to because of the 3200 stall converter I installed earlier last week. So what I did was test my car out. I start it up cold and the noise is not present. So I waited until the engine was warm still no noise. So then i drove it for 20 miles. At a stop my idle was going low and the noise came back left and came back again. So to prove to myself that its just low idle from not having a bump; I took off the vaccum hose quickly and reattached it fast. I deattached it and reattached it repeatedly. While it was disconnected the noise got worse, and when attached it was almost gone. So what im doing now is buying a Cipher and rasing the idle to 900 plus to get rid of the noise. When I put my ac on or kept the idle at 900 with my foot on the gas. The noise is gone, but when I let off it comes back somewhat. So after all this crazy sh#t I think im going to fix the dam problem by rasing my idle finally.

Feel free to write your opinions. I hope this helps so if anyone on here has the problems like myself this post might help.

Sinncerely Glen

Last edited by Zmego1985; 05-28-2006 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:36 AM
jpc350z

Originally Posted by Zmego1985
Ok everyone let me state that I made a mistake when I cleaned my air intake the other day. I did not attach the hose underneath, causing my idle to get lower than usual. Second I have ported heads and the ferrea valve kit with JWT cams, and never had my idle bumped up causing my car to almost stall as it is. Well I just put the hose back on the intake, and the noise was almost gone, but did it sometime. So what I have came to is the plenum noise is the car trying to shut, but not being able to because of the 3200 stall converter I installed earlier last week. So what I did was test my car out. I start it up cold and the noise is not present. So I waited until the engine was warm still no noise. So then i drove it for 20 miles. At a stop my idle was going low and the noise came back left and came back again. So to prove to myself that its just low idle from not having a bump; I took off the vaccum hose quickly and reattached it fast. I deattached it and reattached it repeatedly. While it was disconnected the noise got worse, and when attached it was almost gone. So what im doing now is buying a Cipher and rasing the idle to 900 plus to get rid of the noise. When I put my ac on or kept the idle at 900 with my foot on the gas. The noise is gone, but when I let off it comes back somewhat. So after all this crazy sh#t I think im going to fix the dam problem by rasing my idle finally.

Feel free to write your opinions. I hope this helps so if anyone on here has the problems like myself this post might help.

Sinncerely Glen
Some folks have reported drilling a 1/16 hole in the throttle plate to overcome the stalling at idle.. Sounds crazy but apparently it works Do a search..I cant find the article now..
Old 05-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Gman2004

it's a 1/8 hole not 1/16.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....throttle+plate
Old 05-30-2006, 01:12 PM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what's the problem? What is making the noise?
Old 05-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Zmego1985

I think it was not anofe vaccum causing the noise. I think is was my ferrea valve kit. You could here them opening and closing more than usual. I just bumped my ilde to 950 with my cipher tonight, and the car runs like a champ.