Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

New tranny and problems getting into gear from a stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 01:22 PM
daveh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tranny and problems getting into gear from a stop

I just got a new tranny underwarranty and had the dealer install a JWT clutch and flywheel while they were at it.
The car shifts fine when the car is cold, but when it is warmed up it does not want to go into gear from a stop. When I try to slide it into gear I get a thud and the car moves forward slightly like the clutch is not disengaging all the way. If I force it into gear, the pickup point of the clutch is normal indicating that the clutch is indeeed being completely disengaged. The stealer is not supporting me because of the aftermarket clutch/flywheel.

Things I have tried:

Bleeding the clutch fluid - Bled the old fashioned way with a helper pushing the pedal while I opened and closed the bleeder valve. Some air did come out of the system but there is no change in pedal feel or the warm shifting. I bled the system all the way through. Do yo think pressure bleeding would be better?
Adjusting the clutch pedal - I even tried adjusting it so the engagement happened half way through the travel.

Any suggestions??
Old 06-05-2006, 02:21 PM
1 2 NV

I had the same problem my self. I too thought maybe there was air in my hydraulic system. So I bled it with no change. I then bought a reinforced clutch line from Mossy thinking that maybe I was boiling my clutch fluid. No luck there either. I then took it to a shop and the tech told me it was my slave cylinder. So in went a new one....guess what......that didn't help either. The tech then said it was the master cylinder, so in went a new one of those and just like everything else, no help. He then dropped the tranny and shimmed out the pivot point bolt either 4 or .4 millimeters and guess what.....it worked like a charm. I got a new tranny do to "the grind" and received the 008 series, so I don't know if when the Nissan tech installed it he did'nt do something right or what ever. I haven't read about anybody else having to do this so I cant explain why I needed to, but oh well I am just glad to have my ride back and fully operational!!
Old 06-05-2006, 03:09 PM
done12many2

I know when I got my JWT Clutch/Flywheel combo, it came with a new throwout bearing. It was noticeably larger than the OEM bearing. We almost reused the OEM bearing by accident because we didn’t notice the new bearing at first.

My clutch engagement occurred much sooner when letting the clutch out so I assumed that the new thicker bearing had something to do with it.

I just recently bought and installed a new JWT clutch and pressure plate when I rebuilt my motor and I noticed that there was no new throwout bearing included so I think the bearing only comes with the combo/flywheel.

Due to the fact that I think the new bearing moved the engagement point much closer to the floor, I think that if you installed a new bearing yourself, maybe the clutch is no longer fully disengaging because of this.

Just an idea.

Last edited by done12many2; 06-05-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:27 PM
daveh

Originally Posted by 1 2 NV
He then dropped the tranny and shimmed out the pivot point bolt either 4 or .4 millimeters and guess what.....it worked like a charm.
I've never seen a tranny apart. Can you describe what exactly this is? Is there any way to adjust the pivot point when installing the unit? Is it an install error by my dealer?

Due to the fact that I think the new bearing moved the engagement point much closer to the floor, I think that if you installed a new bearing yourself, maybe the clutch is no longer fully disengaging because of this.

Just an idea.
My clutch engagement was at the floor when I picked it up so I'm assuming they used all the parts that were included with the jwt flywheel. I'll check my bill when I get home and see if they threw a nissan thow out bearing in there.

thanks for the replies.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:43 PM
1 2 NV

Originally Posted by daveh
I've never seen a tranny apart. Can you describe what exactly this is? Is there any way to adjust the pivot point when installing the unit? Is it an install error by my dealer?

My clutch engagement was at the floor when I picked it up so I'm assuming they used all the parts that were included with the jwt flywheel. I'll check my bill when I get home and see if they threw a nissan throw out bearing in there.

thanks for the replies.
When I said he dropped the tranny, all he did was disconnect the tranny from the engine by removing 10 or so bolts and some other things such as removing the drive shaft. The pivot point is not "inside" the tranny per say, you have to remove the tranny to get to it though.

And about that whole new throw out bearing....I don't think that has anything to do with it. I too ordered the fly/clutch combo from Mossy and mine did not com with a JWT throw out bearing or any thing. I did order a new one with the combo kit just to replace it while I had it out. But the packaging it came in had a Nissan stocking sticker on it so I am 100% positive it was just a regular oem bearing.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:41 AM
daveh

Was your problem only when the car was warm? My car is fine when it's cold, it only has the problem when warm.
I want to make sure our problems are identical before I spend any more time and money on labor.

JWT suggested checking the clutch alignment. What would be the symptoms of a misaligned clutch?
Old 06-06-2006, 05:07 PM
1 2 NV

My problem did seem to be worse when it got hot. That is why at first I thought I was boiling my fluid. But after having it fixed by adjusting the pivot point it wouldn't really seem to matter if it was hot or cold. But I swear for what ever reason it seemed easier to shift when the car was still cold.

You mentioned that JWT suggested checking the alignment. That makes sense. You do have the symptoms. I am wondering if possibly the tech who installed it for you might not have torqued the flywheel bolts to the proper amount. I think for the stock flywheel the bolts are to be torqued to 73 ft/lbs and JWT says when installing their fly to torque the bolts to 75 ft/lbs then take back out then reinstall at 90 ft/lbs. So maybe the fly is not sitting right. Man I wish I could just give you the answer. I was stumped about 2 months ago and just couldn't seem to figure out what it could be because there are so many different variables. Keep me posted please.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:30 PM
rpacman

Default JWT Clutch and Flywheel Combo

I have the same problem regarding when the engine is hot vs when it's cold... the RPMs does drop below 750, more often then. They are still a great combo though.