Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

OK. This is kinda Wierd...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 10:16 PM
B-Unit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK. This is kinda Wierd...

Allright. well today I finally fired up the Z after about 2 weeks of it just sitting in the garage. Well. as im at a Stop light on my way through town the car just stalls. I was kinda surprised so I started her back up and went on my way...

Here are my observations..

My idle seems to be much lower for some reason.. i dont know why. ive had this popcharger on for a while and never felt like my idle was this low. im commin up on a 30k service and my oil is a lil below half...but i dont think oil has to do with this..

Any ideas??? why could my car be stalling and idling soo low? worse comes to worse i guess i can raise my idle...

while were on the topic. how can i raise the idle??..is it difficult, can i do it myself?

thanx in advance and any advice/opinions would be much appreciated.

-B-
Old 06-25-2006, 12:00 AM
ouch1011

How old is the gas? On more finicky cars, gas will because noticably bad after about a month of sitting without any stabilizer.

Also, there should be no need to reset the idle. Idle speed is usually a learned value by the PCM, so if it feels the idle is too low, it will adjust its parameters for the IAC and raise it up. Might take a little while to do it, tho..
Old 06-25-2006, 12:00 AM
VN_350z
Banned

how low is ur idle?
Old 06-25-2006, 12:38 AM
B-Unit

well guys. my gas could potentially be pretty old. i cant remember how old exactly but potentially it could be about 3 weeks.. i dont drive my car much and havent been at all lately..so the gas idea could be on point.

i cant remembber what my idle was, ill have to check tomorrow, i think it was at just unde 1k.

Sometimes i woulud rev it in neutral, and whhen the rpms were falling down it felt like the needle on the tack was heavy and could push it into stall...if that makes any sense.. its deff an idle problem tho cuz its not a fast stall, it just falls real low and boom..gone...thats why i didnt even notice it the first time.

-B-
Old 06-25-2006, 10:34 PM
B-Unit

Allright drove the car again this evening..

this is whats goin on with it.

The car doesnt stall------------

when i start the car up it idles fine, but it is very low, it idles halfway between 0 and 1000 and sometiems below. sometimes it drops a bit low and corrects itself by blipping up but if i start the car and let it stand with either the clutch in while being in gear. or out while it neutral it will not stall, but im scared it will b/c the idle seems to be very low to me...

The car stalls--------

But the car WILL STALL when im say driving down a road an approach a stopsign/red light and need to hit the clutch and my rpms fall while the clutch is in while im rolling towards the stop sign and the car will stall out. which also sucks because when this happens the car shuts off and my power steering obviously goes out, which could be a bad thing say if i pressed the clutch in while going around a corner and it fell and stalled..

so the way ive been counteracting that for the time is rev matching obviously as i come to stop signs so my rpms stay up of blipping throttle when ive got clutch in coming to a stop etc. but this is wack and should not be happening i want to fix it asap!

this is soo wierd i dont know why its happening. this is my only guess. the last couple a dayz after the car was sitting for 2 weeks i was installing some audio so i was constantly connecting and disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery. So what im guessing is.. that after i installed my popcharger a long time ago (which i didnt reset the ecu afterwards), while disconnecting the battery something happened to the ecu and the popcharger is jacking up my rpms when i clutch in.

So do you guys think i should reset the ecu again??? and maybe this will fix the problem??

-B-
Old 06-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Is this with A/C on or off?

I'd be willing to bet it has to do with the popcharger. Raising idle should help, or just running with A/C on (if it was off when you were stalling)

Get the cipher tool or borrow one from someone. Tony @ Motordyne has one if you stop by his place.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:49 PM
B-Unit

yea its the popcharger for sure. ima take a look at it in a bit
Old 06-25-2006, 11:07 PM
G352NV

Originally Posted by B-Unit
yea its the popcharger for sure. ima take a look at it in a bit
Before I was TT I had this problem with a AEM intake. I tried EVERYTHING including going to the dealer(buddy works at the dealer) They couldnt find anything wrong. In the end I gave up and pulled it off.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:10 PM
B-Unit

thats wack steve. ^^ i just disconnected the battery and ima let it sit overnight, i blew out the maf and checked the fitting and everything looked allright sooo well find out.

i can almost guarentee is b/c i was installing a head unit the other day and when i first disconnected the battery i pumped the brakes and prolly disconnected the ecu. then didnt wait for 7 hours cuz i kept puutting it on and off to test the stereo and then put it on and didnt leave it for 7 hours when i was done... so i have a feeling and am hoping that this will work

-B-
Old 06-25-2006, 11:14 PM
G352NV

Yeah it is wack. My buddy has a JWT charger on his G and its done it only once to him. I think you might be ok with a ecu reset and so good driving after the reset. I just could get the AEM to work.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:20 PM
B-Unit

yea. aem is kinda crappy imo. i try to stay away from aem more or less.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:05 AM
dbmtrx123

Mine did that for a while too, but after driving the car for a while the car's ECU will correct itself. Mine did.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:14 AM
B-Unit

Wow...

i reset the ecu for approx 7 hours last night. went to start it up this morning and the engine caught on fire! haha jk.

the idle seemed much higher on the first startup this morning. but it went back down again after driving the car for a while... i have this thing nailed tho. the car will only stall if i put in the clutch and hold it in or put it in netral from a fast pace. around 60mph is what i tried and it stalled pretty much everything from either 5th or 6th while going that speed. its kinda funny. i thought that it was b/c the rpms were high so i tried reving it at stops up to around 3500 and when it falls it doesnt hit zero like it does when im going 60+...

so whatever. i have a bad habit of pushing and holding in the clutch sometimes on the freeway when im deciding if i wanna downshift and go around a car or something. but its possible that once the car stalls i can just put it into gear. let out the clutch and basically jump start the car again... i hope this isnt bad for the motor.. but im trying not to leave the car enough time to fall and hit zero whenever im going 60+ and hit the clutch..

hopefully my car like dbmtx123's will correct itself over time. DB, how long was it before u noticed the ecu fixing itself?

-B-

other option is get a cipher and up my idle.. but iono ...
Old 06-26-2006, 11:00 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you have a vacuum leak somewhere.. My car did the same thing when my BOV was leaking.. or closing too late.. changed the spring and car was fine instantly..didn't need an ECU reset..

Are you sure everything on your intake is tight? The arrows on the tube line up with the MAF sensor housing?
Old 06-26-2006, 11:04 AM
B-Unit

Originally Posted by leemik
I think you have a vacuum leak somewhere.. My car did the same thing when my BOV was leaking.. or closing too late.. changed the spring and car was fine instantly..didn't need an ECU reset..

Are you sure everything on your intake is tight? The arrows on the tube line up with the MAF sensor housing?
hmm i checked the connections on the clamps etc last night and it looked tight.. .. the engine was hot so i didnt dig in but later today after the engine has cooled ill take it appart and put everything back on ttight and well see if this helps...

-B-
Old 06-26-2006, 11:07 AM
jdnassar

My talon used to have the same problem if I disconnected the battery...not that it is comparable to the Z but the symptoms sounds exactly teh same. Sometimes it would take a couple days for the ECU to fix the idle. The dealer should be able to do a learn procedure to fix the idle, some new cars these days use things like the power window switch to re-learn the idle and Cruise control.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:11 AM
B-Unit

interesting. im sure the problem will work itself out. im going to performance nissan later this week for a service so well see if they can help speed the process up

-B-
Old 06-26-2006, 11:58 AM
dbmtrx123

hopefully my car like dbmtx123's will correct itself over time. DB, how long was it before u noticed the ecu fixing itself?

-B-

other option is get a cipher and up my idle.. but iono ...
Mine took around 2 weeks of everyday driving. It might have been less than that when I first began to notice an improvement, but about 2 weeks for everything to sort itself out.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:03 PM
VN_350z
Banned

Allright drove the car again this evening..

this is whats goin on with it.

The car doesnt stall------------

when i start the car up it idles fine, but it is very low, it idles halfway between 0 and 1000 and sometiems below. sometimes it drops a bit low and corrects itself by blipping up but if i start the car and let it stand with either the clutch in while being in gear. or out while it neutral it will not stall, but im scared it will b/c the idle seems to be very low to me...

The car stalls--------

But the car WILL STALL when im say driving down a road an approach a stopsign/red light and need to hit the clutch and my rpms fall while the clutch is in while im rolling towards the stop sign and the car will stall out. which also sucks because when this happens the car shuts off and my power steering obviously goes out, which could be a bad thing say if i pressed the clutch in while going around a corner and it fell and stalled..

so the way ive been counteracting that for the time is rev matching obviously as i come to stop signs so my rpms stay up of blipping throttle when ive got clutch in coming to a stop etc. but this is wack and should not be happening i want to fix it asap!

this is soo wierd i dont know why its happening. this is my only guess. the last couple a dayz after the car was sitting for 2 weeks i was installing some audio so i was constantly connecting and disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery. So what im guessing is.. that after i installed my popcharger a long time ago (which i didnt reset the ecu afterwards), while disconnecting the battery something happened to the ecu and the popcharger is jacking up my rpms when i clutch in.

So do you guys think i should reset the ecu again??? and maybe this will fix the problem??

-B-
Try to do idle leaning control reset from technosquare website. Let us know the result.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:15 PM
6swhite350z

its your MAF sensor, i had the same problem on my 3000gt

Quick Reply: OK. This is kinda Wierd...