Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

CHanging radiator hoses this weekend.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 09:48 PM
350zbiturbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHanging radiator hoses this weekend.....

My car has been overheating lately, and It got real serious one day. When I parked my car, I looked under my turbo and the hose connected to the thermostat had a hole in it. It was spraying out all over the engine bay sidewall. I just finished purchasing the samco coolant hose kit. My question is... Im going to replace the hoses with the new ones, and I assume just refill the radiator with coolant again, right?? or is theyre some special procedure I need to do.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:40 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your gonna have to drain all the coolant...

there is a bleader that you can use when re-filling...

after you do that, put a large funnel in the radiator filled with coolant, let the car run, it will bubble down... do it until it stops... may take a half hour...
Old 06-27-2006, 07:01 AM
350zbiturbo

where do I drain it from????? and where is the bleader you speak of? Do I need to open that bleader when Im refilling it from the radiator??
Old 06-27-2006, 07:37 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zbiturbo
where do I drain it from????? and where is the bleader you speak of? Do I need to open that bleader when Im refilling it from the radiator??
Heres the link you need. Good luck

http://crackaddict.com/~flynn/howtos...amco.howto.htm
Old 06-27-2006, 07:56 AM
350zbiturbo

hey 97 supra, thanx so much for the instructions link. Got plenty of detail, I already got the upper and lower hoses off. Lol its a little harder on my car bc I have the turbonetics kit, so I got some piping to move. By the way I pulled the lower hose off and it looks like its been rubbing on my pulley the whole time. Thats why theyre is a hole in it so I guess im gonna have to come up with something so the samco doesnt hit.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:03 AM
350zbiturbo

I dont have to bleed the system correct?? since Im putting all new fluid in their??
Old 06-27-2006, 09:34 AM
MIAPLAYA

I dont have to bleed the system correct?? since Im putting all new fluid in their??
Yes you do...once you remove all the coolant it is replaced with nothing but air...AS you refill it the air needs to be removed to ensure there is nothing but coolant in the system. One you have everything installed begin filling the radiator with water/coolant (now is a good time to flush in some Redline Water Wetter if you haven't already). Fill the system till it is overflowing full. Start the car and you should see the coolant level drop...Place a funnel in the rad and fill it with water/coolant..It will drain as the car runs... Now there is a bleeder valve on the passenger side of the motor behind the plenum. Its a black hose with a black plastic screw and valve in it. As the motor is running open the valve by unscrewing the plug...Don't take it all the way out..You need to keep doing that for about 30 minutes cycling from open to close frequently to release the air in the system.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the better question might be why did your stock hose have a hole in it.....might want to check and be sure it's nothing serious that caused it

yes you have to bleed it
Old 06-27-2006, 01:47 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
the better question might be why did your stock hose have a hole in it.....might want to check and be sure it's nothing serious that caused it

yes you have to bleed it
He already mentioned that it was rubbing on one of his pullies...
Old 06-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

like I said...there has to be a reason why that happened...stock hoses should not rub, against any of the stock pullies
Old 06-27-2006, 09:54 PM
350zbiturbo

well guys I installed the samco hoses, and let me tell you they fit better then my stock. The lower hose is not even close to anything, I guess maybe with the turbonetics kit a pipe must of been pushing the hose against it. I put the new hoses and antifreeze in, and the car is running pretty good. Maybe after this I can officially find out if that was the whole reason my car has been overheating for so long.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:51 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well guys I installed the samco hoses, and let me tell you they fit better then my stock. The lower hose is not even close to anything, I guess maybe with the turbonetics kit a pipe must of been pushing the hose against it. I put the new hoses and antifreeze in, and the car is running pretty good. Maybe after this I can officially find out if that was the whole reason my car has been overheating for so long.
Make sure your head gasket is okay, if your engine overheated it might have blown the head gasket also. Check inside the coolant reservoir for oil deposits, or check under the oil cap for water deposits. Its better to be safe, good luck.