Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

HELP!! Transmission warranty void because of lowering springs and shifter!! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 09:43 AM
AP_G35C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP!! Transmission warranty void because of lowering springs and shifter!! HELP!!!

So, I have a 2003 G35 Coupe, I am on my 3rd tansmission. The first two were replaced under warranty for grinding in 6th gear at 5,500 miles and at 13,000 miles. Currently my car has 36,500 miles and the transmission is grinding exactly the same way as the previous two times. I take my car to the same dealership it was bought from and where all work has been done to it. By the way, the dealership is under new management since my last tranny was replaced. I get a call from the service manager and go to the dealership. He tells me that this work may not be covered by warranty because my car is lowered, thus causing the driveshaft pitch to be changed by a degree or two, putting uneven pressure on the transmission, also causing the driveshaft to be pushed forward by half of an inch causing the tranny to wear. I strongly disagree telling him that that is impossible becasuse the rear differential is bolted in place and lowering a car has nothingto do with the problems he told me about. The service manager says okay we will take your tranny apart to see what the problem is. They call me back and tell me my short throw shifter is the problem and putting the stock one will correct the grinding, I say no way the shifter is causing these problems but I will get it stock to you. Then they say, by the way this is not warranty work, so you will owe us 8 hours of labor at $110 an hour.

My blood begins to boil, but I remain calm. I say my car has had the tranny replaced twice for this exact problem and that was before any mods to my car.

So what do I do? I know that when I get the car back with the stock shifter the grinding will still be there, but they have done all this tranny tear down and rebuild, but fixed nothing, and now I have to pay 900 plus dollars. I don't think so, but what should I do now. I have called other local dealers who say they would warranty the work plus I called Infiniti consumer affairs who said the work sounds like it should be warrantied. Eibach sais that thesprings will cause no such problem.

NEVER GO TO CREST INFINITI IN PLANO TEXAS. This has been a nightmare.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:29 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in short... they dont know what they are talking about...

Go to a different dealer... If you have a stock shifter, put it in to be safe, but that shouldnt matter anyway...
Old 07-31-2006, 10:33 AM
undrgnd

Old 07-31-2006, 10:35 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

^^^^^^^

ok good it was edited...

if this was a solid axle then yes, but we are not... the only driveshaft that is effected is the axles between the differential housing and the wheels... nothing else if changed...
Old 07-31-2006, 10:43 AM
pingrr

That dealer sounds like an idiot. If the springs caused the problem. Why would Nissan offer a new suspension package through nismo that would lower the car and still be covered under the factory warranty.

If the dealer just doesn't know what they are talking about which appears to be the case here. I wouldn't trust their work either.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:46 PM
SpeedRcr

First get your car away from crest, take it to sewell and talk to travis or go to grubbs and talk to brad...crest infiniti is horrible on every level
Old 08-01-2006, 05:06 AM
AP_G35C

I'm really seeing how horrible this dealership really is. I'm going to talk with the service manager this morning, if nothong happens with him, I'm going to the GM. This is the most annoying and upsetting dealership event I have ever experienced!

Has anyone else had something like this happen to them? How did you react?
Old 08-01-2006, 06:56 AM
mchong75

Originally Posted by AP_G35C

NEVER GO TO CREST INFINITI IN PLANO TEXAS. This has been a nightmare.

HaHa, worst Infiniti stealership in DFW area. I hate dealing with them.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:58 AM
Q45tech

I would assume that every [techno savvy manipulative ] owner would already be very friendly with the service manager [lunch, drinks, birthday presents, and various who's your buddy bribes].
Old 08-01-2006, 10:55 AM
AP_G35C

After speaking with the service manager, service director, several technicians, and 6 service reps this morning the dealer tried to tell me that my short shifter is the cause of my tranny grinding. I frimly told them that there was no correlation, plus I had the tranny replaced twice before I installed the shifter. I took them a copy of the receipt to show them it wasn't installed when the first two trannies were replaced. When I gave them the receipt the service rep told me they were replacing the entire tranny under warranty.

Plus one for me, the dealership was trying to screw me!!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:31 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

I have seen short throw shifters messing up Honda trannies. Precision on aftermarket shifters are well bleh... Goodluck.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:31 AM
mikead_99

Crazy shiit that place wanted to pull on you. Glad it worked out for you though.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:26 AM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

tell them to slob your **** and bring in a copy of the magnusson vs moss act

This is a 1975 United States Federal Law which deals with consumer warranty coverage. It defines responsibilities for both the buyer and the seller of all consumer goods costing more than $25. A portion of this law applies to aftermarket parts and modifications and how it affects your car warranty.

For our purposes the law basically states that you have a right to use aftermarket, non-OEM parts on your car and still retain the factory warranty. However, if there is a failure and the manufacturer (Hyundai, in this case) can show that the failure was caused by the aftermarket part, they can deny coverage.

The important thing is that your dealer cannot VOID your entire warranty just because the part is on the car. There have been cases where a dealer would tell a customer that their new car had no warranty because it had an aftermarket exhaust. Granted, the exhaust is not covered, however the rest of the car is still under the normal warranty.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Q45tech

The dealer has nothing to do with the warranty. The warranty is between you and the vehicle manufacturer.

The dealer can refuse to work on your vehicle [being a private business] up to you to persuade Nissan to authorize the repayment of repairs.

The dealer only gets funds from its individual customers and Nissan.