Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Wow.. ebay special: PE Knockoff Oil pan.. $100..

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wow.. ebay special: PE Knockoff Oil pan.. $100..

wow.. anyone buy this?

was just browsin' ebay. they have a Power Enterprise knock off oil pan looks EXACTLY like the one that i have, but for <$100...

anyone buy one yet?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...13660080QQrdZ1
Old 08-07-2006, 07:13 PM
PANCHOVILLA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup had mine for sometime now excelent quality ebay "buy it now price" 89.00
Old 08-07-2006, 07:56 PM
SpeedCrazie

Thats funny I was doing the same, just browsing when I found these.

I wonder if there are any differences between the two. Are there any cons to using the knock off units?

Also, if the cooling fins do indeed work, is this a better unit then a JWT Oil pan spacer? Could the two be used together?

JP
Old 08-07-2006, 08:11 PM
ARMSTRONGARMS

the knockoff will have alot of casting left inside. which will come off and go through the oil system aka fawk things up!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by idwin
the knockoff will have alot of casting left inside. which will come off and go through the oil system aka fawk things up!

from personal experience, or hypothetical?

if its really rough inside, maybe a through cleaning/smoothing process might help?
Old 08-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Gary King

I bought one to compare it to a real PE Pan. The major differences I noticed were that the ebay one was cast with led or some material which was much heavier than the PE aluminum. Also the casting was a bit rough and the mating surfaces were not machined, could cause a poor seal. I know I may be biased but, the quality compared to the PE Pan was just not there.

Gary
Old 08-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Gary King

Here are some pics of the real PE Pan. Also wanted to mention another reason why I bought the ebay version, I wanted those oil line block off plates to run a real PE Pan on an NA Z.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails Wow.. ebay special: PE Knockoff Oil pan.. 0..-pe-pan-4.jpg   Wow.. ebay special: PE Knockoff Oil pan.. 0..-pe-pan-1.jpg  
Old 08-07-2006, 11:09 PM
krismax

I think this is the same company that makes the JWT knock off cams for $600
Old 08-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought one ---Cant see probs. Interior had no flash, threads were good,Mounting surface was fine. Mine had the 2 side flanges that could be drilled and fitted with whatever,temp sensor, etc.
Once the mold is made and paid for through sales then profits can be huge, I was curious so figured WTF for a 100.00 ?
Im a little torn as far as copying someone elses design more or less. But DAM!!! 500.00 for an oil pan ????
Old 08-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perfect example of the Knock-offs that Modified had a huge article on. Replicas are ruining the industry
Old 08-09-2006, 09:35 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your better off with a JWT or AAM spacer anyway... that oil pan is an engineering mistake and IMHO does exactly the opposite of what lots of people claim it will. The cooling fins are the only good thing about it... not that they do much anyway.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Gary King

How did you come to this conclusion? Not trying to be negative, just curious what you have found.

Thanks,
Gary

Originally Posted by phunk
your better off with a JWT or AAM spacer anyway... that oil pan is an engineering mistake and IMHO does exactly the opposite of what lots of people claim it will. The cooling fins are the only good thing about it... not that they do much anyway.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:13 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

ill make this as short and simple as i can

Lets refresh on the benefits of these products that the consumer is typically looking for. Increased oil capacity, Improved Oil Pickup, Lower Oil Temperatures.

Increased oil capacity should slightly lower the oil temps, but i wouldnt plan on seeing much of a difference with either route.

Looking at a spacer... You end up deepening the sump, and lowering the pickup. You keep the floor plan the same size, you just make it deeper. This provides increased oil control. This is because the oil has no where new to go, and it is contained even greater now by taller sump walls. The oil pickup tube is also extended lower, to help ensure it is always submerged.

Oil pan replacements, such as the PE and its replicas made by APS and other units available for a bargin on ebay do not have this oil containment advantage. Yes, the oil capacity has increased, but the floorplan of the oil pan has been increased by just as much if not more. The oil now has area to each side (and a lot of it) to get away from the oil pickup. So while the sump capacity has increased, the oil control has suffered rather then improved. So whatever the containment volume on the side kickout is, needs to be subtracted from the oil capacity increase, and you will see that it does not promote the same increase of oil scavenging as a spacer would.

Do not be fooled by the baffles, they only make the problem worse by blocking returning oil to the pickup. Basic common sense will tell you that the engine will immediately suck up whatever tiny ammount of oil those baffles were able to "contain". A truely functional baffle of this type needs to have a flapper door, such as the oil pans I have used on Dodge Viper V10s for road racing. I work in the Viper performance industry, and I know oil control is a problem on that huge V10 oil pan, its difficult to keep oil where you want it when your pan is that large. We have gotten to the point of using trap doors and SWINGING OIL PICKUPS to keep the pickup submerged as much as possible. While that is an exageratted example, the point is: Increasing the floor plan of an oil pan is for the worse.

The 350z/G35 platform has enough space to use the popular JWT and AAM oil pan spacers without intruducing the lower pan into harms way. It will remain no lower then the crossmember. You are also left with a steel lower section, which can withstand a blow much better then the cast aluminum competitors. The cast aluminum will simply shatter, while the pressed steel factory lower will accept dents and bend - possibly saving your engine from oil pressure loss in event of a foreign object hitting the pan.

The spacers are also very thick flanges, giving you all the area you need to tap into for oil drains for your turbochargers. You can also put an oil temp sensor in there if you desire, but there is a better place for that IMHO.

The replacement pans do offer one advantage, and that is casted in cooling fins. I wouldnt get too excited about that, however... if you have ever felt how hot the air is that just passed thru your radiator and intercooler (if you have one)... Its far far hotter than ambient air, and while still much cooler then the oil, i would be surprised if those cooling fins offered any measureable improvement considering that the oil doesnt sit there very long at all - Not when compared to other components where cooling fins are utilized and the fluid doesnt get very far seperated from the surface.

Now I will try my best to give a visual to those who dont understand what I am talking about with the whole "floor pan" arguement. Imagine you are looking at a fully assembled VQ35 on an engine stand... it has a oil pan spacer installed. Next to it is another engine, only with a PE style oil pan installed. You can very accurately reproduce the effects on oil sloshing during a sustained 1g lateral turn by rotating the engine stands to hang the engines at a 45 degree angle. Imagine how that would look now, with those oil pan kick-outs on the replacement pans hanging out as the lowest point.... which of the two engines do you think you would have to pour more oil into before the oil level touched the bottom of the oil pump pickup?

Last edited by phunk; 08-09-2006 at 10:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RobPhoboS (05-25-2020)
Old 08-09-2006, 10:23 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

did i mention that those oil pans make a terrible mess when you change your oil? when you take off the oil filter, the oil drips all over the top of the side kickout and runs down the front, back ,and side of the pan, and drips off all the cooling fins. its a terrible mess.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:59 PM
Gary King

I'm impressed Phunk, thank you for the excellent info . What you said makes good sence.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 08-10-2006, 09:40 AM
Tekwon-V

i never thought about it that way phunk. interesting reads...
Old 08-11-2006, 11:14 PM
aalzuhair

Thanks Charles
Old 08-12-2006, 06:34 AM
seanlaw

just from my knowledge from the 240/silvia world...there are many cast aluminum knockoff oil pans for the SR20DET and all of them suck. the casting quality doesn't match the quality of the originals and people have seen them absorb oil to the point that it leaks out of the casting b/c of the purosity. also you have to worry about the mounting...people with knockoffs can't get a proper seal between block and pan.

don't get it...why would anyone skimp on something as important as a sump....!!!!! blows my mind, just pay the extra money for the real deal.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Soundeffects

See I understand exactly your point of a taller vertical panis supposely more efficient at picking up oil rather then a wide pan is. But... If it is holding more oil say its filled almost to the top, and you put it on a 45 degree angle, where is the oil going to go? If it is empty or low on oil the tall-spacer type will contain the oil better but if you have a full pan of oil (what maybe 6.5qts with the cooling fin design) the pickup will always have oil as you could put it at close to a 60degree angle even and if it is full it can't go anywhere else. except in to the pickup. I think it is a good design but if it did have some better baffles I agree that would be ideal.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:28 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

i disagree completely... i feel it is a worthless design when you can simply use a spacer and achieve greater results. The cast aluminum wide pans are not as deep as the spacer setup, and they do not lower the pickup tube. The extra oil they hold will go off to the sides and not help keep the pickup submerged. i dont know what exactly you were asking me, but if i was empty or low on oil i wouldnt be running my engine to be honest, i dont understand the scenario you are talking about either.

Last edited by phunk; 08-12-2006 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Wow.. ebay special: PE Knockoff Oil pan.. $100..