Old 05-12-2003, 01:14 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by Chebosto
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Check the Sticky Thread GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!1

Ok, I admit I am lame but what is the "Sticky Thread "? I want to read about the update...
Old 05-12-2003, 01:20 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by zland
Ok, I admit I am lame but what is the "Sticky Thread "? I want to read about the update...

5/12/03

We felt that the Magnaflow exhaust will work any better than stock, so we abandoned the idea.. from installing it and running it for a while, its appears to be WORSE than stock...

here's the kicker..

We're done with the programming.

Conserning the ignition map and fuel maping. we got the ratio to around 12.5 air fuel and +40 degrees timing. He said 40 is a bit much, so he's going to retard it little. Stock is 25-26 degrees (I think). =) The main changes to the fuel/air program is to the top end of the RPM band, stock is around 10.5 and we leaned it out a bit to the end result of 12.5

NO CEL with the Test pipes (which will go on sale soon as well, along with a tuned Ypipe to go along with the test pipes as a option)

Tadashi claims that the stock airbox is a very good free flowing intake, possibly even better with a velocity stack addon would beat all the other intakes... they are planning to make that soon.

More info about the infamous 'dialing back' of power...

the deal is that the stock ecu bases some of its fuel/air input through the oxygen sensors in the car. The computer will try to follow the pre-set map from the factory. and uses feedback from the o2 sensors to do minor adjustments to the ignition/fuel mapping. So when you put the new intake system (aka Injen) the computer senses much more air flow than the stock mapping so, with this happening, the computer goes to the feedback value that's stored in the fuel/ignition timing maps to try to put it back stock levels.. which means.. the car is inputting RETARDATION in the timing map. its' taking away the ability for the engine to fire with the leaner air from the higher flowing intake.. so we're just removing/reducing that feedback value.. if you dont believe me.. Tadashi will post a full technical report later on at his company's website.

The modified ECU program will be released as a 'general' program. it will ADAPT to your mods and will allow the mods you put on your car to get a consistant power gains over time, w/o the ECU retardning the power back.... So, with that. this ECU program will work with a bone stock Z, a slightly modified Z, and/or fully decked out intake/plenum/header/cat/ypipe/catback'd Z too....
For boost applications, when they become available, they will have a program for that as well.
If you can find a spare ECU, TechnoSquare can make that computer to work with your Z.

Well happy day...

hope this clears up some of your questions... or brings up more questions.. please post your comments on the LONG version thread in my sig....

thanks--

Cheston
Old 05-12-2003, 01:20 PM
EWOOD420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will they take an 02 3.5se Altima ecu to tune. I'm sure they are very close to each other.....
Old 05-12-2003, 01:25 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, sounds like ther is some benefits to all this work you did. Can you be more specific on what the changes it would make on a stock 350Z?
Old 05-12-2003, 01:26 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

they might be similar in flash memory.. but highly doubt the programs or the interface are close to each other

Originally posted by EWOOD420
will they take an 02 3.5se Altima ecu to tune. I'm sure they are very close to each other.....
Old 05-12-2003, 01:39 PM
EWOOD420

I see how it is..... j/k

Hey you never know right..... they put in the same motor

thanks
Old 05-12-2003, 02:12 PM
Zspot

When do you estimate the ECU will be available ?
Old 05-12-2003, 02:14 PM
Ez350

Did they come up with a final HP number that you would feel comfortable publicizing? And when do you feel like this will be available for purchase?
Old 05-12-2003, 02:19 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

We will be doing a DynoJet pull to get a 'standardized' hp # claim sometime this week to get a baseline. and sometime next week for with the modded chip alone, and with the exhaust mods.

pricing is not yet set..

Originally posted by Ez350
Did they come up with a final HP number that you would feel comfortable publicizing? And when do you feel like this will be available for purchase?
Old 05-12-2003, 04:15 PM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you define 'adapt'? What I mean to say is, let's say I have 264 cams, hi-compression pistons, plenum, headers, midpipe and exhaust. Then I get the ECU. What would it do in the presence of these mods...are you saying I could see yet more HP than what is currently being seen?

Last edited by Traffic; 05-12-2003 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:06 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

yes.

but then with the cam, the higher compression, i would suggest you get it tuned to your specific car to adjust the timing even more so with the higher compression... but in general. yes.

Originally posted by Daytona
Could you define 'adapt'? What I mean to say is, let's say I have 264 cams, hi-compression pistons, plenum, headers, midpipe and exhaust. Then I get the ECU. What would it do in the presence of these mods...are you saying I could see yet more HP than what is currently being seen?
Old 05-12-2003, 06:17 PM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this company is going to sell ALOT of ECUs i hope the forums members get a discount

GETTING SO EXCITED
Old 05-12-2003, 06:36 PM
Brad4rdHay

(Im stupid)

Why does decreasing the fuel make the engine more powerfull? Shouldnt gasoline have a chemicaly optimum air/fuel mix that would allow for maximum combustion...i.e. would be used on every car on the market?

Also, if I get ths ECU, then get a freer flowing intake, the ECU wont go into its own new fail safe mode when the newly programed air/fuel mix is disturbed?..if its still the same program.

Also, whats ignition timing and why is it measured in degrees? Is it how often the spark plugs fire?
Old 05-12-2003, 06:43 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Too rich, and you lose power. The factory sometimes tunes WOT to run richer to avoid detonation, but the trade-off is the loss of hp. Adding fuel cools the mixture some, which causes the decreased chance of detonation or knock.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:00 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by Brad4rdHay

Also, whats ignition timing and why is it measured in degrees? Is it how often the spark plugs fire?
Yes, it is when the plugs fire in relation to the location of the corresponding piston.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:42 PM
Brad4rdHay

The ECU sounded like a great idea at first, but now (being the constantly learning car nut that I am) it seems like were treading in dangerous waters. The engieers at Nissan know what the **** their doing, even if they are playing it safe. But still, im getting worked up about changing the akerman angle of the suspenion a few mm which will throw off the steering, and now were talking about changing the way the engine functions.

Now Im not that dumn. Aftermarket ECUs arn't brandnew, but I dont want to have a situation were we have it in the hands of overzealous tuners (arnt they by nature) who wll use their considerable skills to get every last hp out of the engine but leave us with something thats less reliable. This seemed to have happened with the new E46s M3s.....alot of problems with detonation (i think thats what it was). At leat then it was covered under warrenty. If I have a problem with my engine down the road, Ill get a big "sucks for you" from Nissan.

Sory to make this sound like a rant, its not, im just a tad anxious. More of a "prove me wrong" which I'm sure many are capable of...
Old 05-13-2003, 01:20 AM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

to each his own
Old 05-13-2003, 02:41 AM
Brad4rdHay

Seriously, I will jump all over this is someone can prove to me that changing the air/fuel mix and ignition timing wont affect longevity/reliability. If its as safe as an exhaust, ill be on that ECU like white on rice.

I wont buy it if its a "well have to wait see"
Old 05-13-2003, 06:45 AM
ITR#203

It is true that making the mixture leaner and advancing timing puts you closer to the edge pre-det. BUT have you seen the stock fuel-air ratio? He claims that it is 10.5:1 and this is backed by Amuse's numbers, who I believe got around 10.7:1. This is WAY too rich. Even 12.5:1 is on the rich side, which I dont mind for safety reasons, but most guys like to tune their cars at around 13.4-13.8:1, unless it's a forced induction application. Sure, you can go even richer than this but I wouldnt recommend it.

I dont suspect that this will be a "on the edge" ECU, where if one thing goes wrong (for example, 90.5 octane gas or 90 degrees outside temp), it will start destroying your engine. It's not doing anything different, its just that Nissan is a bunch of wusses who put in a ECU that was way too anti-mods, ran too rich, and backed down ignition timing toomuch, too quickly. In my opinion, its just fixing these problems. There should be NO adverse effects.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:46 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

if you have worries about changing the timing and a/f mixtures and longevity, you should ask some of the JWT/hondata/Gforce owners.. Technosquare (formerly Gforce Engineering) programmed thousands of turbo Supras/MR2s and still do. This isnt you're hole in the wall tune shop, Tadashi and crew are quite well known in the ECU tuning business and have been approached by big name race companies... (*cough* NISMO *cough*) but more importantly he is an enthusiast like us and he just wants good products, none of this JET Chip crap that all they do is slap a sticker on, ECU modifications have been safe in the past and i wholly believe in this one, otherwise i wouldnt have trusted them with my car for so long...

I'm not saying believe me, but once other people get it and have the chance to see what i've seen, then maybe people will get more confident. everyone is skeptical on ECU work.. same deal happened with the Maxima community a few years back when Tadashi produced the ecu for that too... just time will take to see the end result..

Originally posted by Brad4rdHay
Seriously, I will jump all over this is someone can prove to me that changing the air/fuel mix and ignition timing wont affect longevity/reliability. If its as safe as an exhaust, ill be on that ECU like white on rice.

I wont buy it if its a "well have to wait see"

Quick Reply: Good News: ECU outlook good