Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Good News: ECU outlook good

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 03:26 PM
dwnshift

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pectel Injection is the way to go and you can then run it through a Motec dash / Motec doesnt have a way to control throttle by wire as of yet nor the vario cam timing.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:41 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HUH? A motec will run any car you put it on, same as Pectel. Both of which are uber-expensive units, and really not left up to those who are not used to their software, as they are, well, quirky to say the least. Even a unit comparable in performance, though much cheaper, like Electromotive, is not advisable in the hands of a novice.

At the end of the day, it really makes NO difference which ecu option you choose - they each have plusses and minusses. The far more important choice to make is who you choose to do your tuning for you.

Adam
Old 04-22-2003, 05:37 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by dwnshift
Motec doesnt have a way to control throttle by wire
this would also be why they have my TB....

m
Old 04-22-2003, 07:55 PM
whosdady

What about an Enthusiats automatic with TCS? Would this be the same as the Touring Automatic that you posted below?

If anyone has the following cars and is willing to help out, you'll get a (free?) ECU upgrade as compensation... the only thing is, we'll need your ECU for about two weeks, so if you have a beater car, then how about helpin' the community out?

BASE model: NO options.
ENTHUSIASTS: TCS only. NO Other Options
PERFORMANCE model: NO options
TOURING Model: AUTOMATIC, No other options.

(track is covered with my car..)

I think if we can just get the BASE model, and using my TRACK we can find out what is different between the two programs, the other ECUs might not be needed...

Any Takers? please PM me..

--Cheston [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 04-29-2003, 12:13 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

Default Question for Chebosto

Whoever it is that has your ECM, have they been able to decipher the CAN signal?
Old 04-29-2003, 06:05 AM
dwnshift

We will see how things go this weekend with our testing. Our ECU is back and " tuned " Intitial feel was positive ........well see I guess......the answers will be found in the data.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:14 AM
Traffic

Originally posted by dwnshift
We will see how things go this weekend with our testing. Our ECU is back and " tuned " Intitial feel was positive ........well see I guess......the answers will be found in the data.
That's really reassuring Do you intend to sell your ECU mod, or is it too extreme for the street?
Old 04-29-2003, 07:05 AM
all_bark

So whats this about the sema people (or nismo at the sema show) saying the ecu can show no gains?

Is this a bunch of baloney?

Please say that it is..........

I want more HP!!!!!

Thanks for all the info and great work.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:08 AM
dwnshift

Its not our (350evo) mod.................It is supp tuned for much higher octane gas.........we race with 100 unleaded 76. I honestly dont know what the differnce is or if there is one........it did feel better.....but "feeling" better can be deceiving. It did "feel" better up top.
The thing with the rev limiter and us is we are running 17's and all the slow corners are 2nd gear usally for us.....and you end up hitting the limiter 3/4 or more out of the turn and if you use third the car is dead........this will let us pull oyut of a turn a little better and on the up shift be a little taller "on the pipe".
Old 04-29-2003, 01:04 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

UPDATE:

APRIL 29, 2003

Ok. Here's the latest update i got from my Tuner.
We have a good idea on how to tune the 350Z, but we need to do a 'heavy' mod so that it triggers the ECU to do something major to the numbers so we can find those key values, and base the tuning off what changes...... Its stock right now, we believe we can knock about 5-7rwhp more in stock form on premium pump gas...91 octane. You know how everyone is slapping on intakes and the car first gains power but then the hp goes away? Its due to a feedback control loop the ECU has for Fuel and Ignition timing... this is a new system Nissan has in all its New (2003+) cars... this number is a preset value which will tell the car to go back to its original state when it senses changes... well we just, prevent that from happening by altering this feedback number to a lower value so that the ECU cant adjust as much back.. we're testing the waters with slightly lower values and will keep on doing so until we reach a safe limit of where it dont adversely affect any safety measures pre-programmed into the ECU to prevent knocking.. but so far the preliminary results are pretty good... Ingition mapping is complete, the fuel curveis also nearly mapped out..

We're going to experiment with the exhaust system and build a custom Ypipe (and possible bpipe) to eliminate the cats to see if we can get power there and in doing so, tune the car with the new exhaust system to see if we can yeild higher gains than stock.. purely based on the fact the cats are a restriction in the exhaust.... They are also going to try to create a new intake system using their airflow machine.. They have a machine there that can calculate max CFM flow based on filter/tube design, and quite possible make an intake tubing that will yeild higher CFM flow rates than stock, with a velocity stack built into the tube... (venturi's principle)

I'm optomistic at the gains. but i still would like better numbers from the stock ECU tune on pump gas.. obviously any tuned ECU will make mad gains from 100+ octane, but alot of people dont have access to that kind of gas normally...

well... until next update.... hope for the best...

--Cheston

Last edited by Chebosto; 04-29-2003 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:35 PM
EWOOD420

wonder what they could do to a 2002 altima ECU?

I might be willing to send mine........

I troll for my motor..........
Old 04-29-2003, 02:03 PM
Intrepid

Originally posted by Chebosto
Its stock right now, we believe we can knock about 5-7rwhp more in stock form on premium pump gas...91 octane. --Cheston
Thanks for the update. So much for lots of hidden power in the ECU. Several months back, there was speculation of 15 HP or more. Oh well....
Old 04-29-2003, 07:02 PM
PhoenixINX

Ironic your tuners think its "dialing out" power... Nissan admitted its ECUs do NOTHING of the sort at SEMA.

So who's telling the truth, and who's bluffing?
Old 04-29-2003, 07:31 PM
all_bark

You know how everyone is slapping on intakes and the car first gains power but then the hp goes away? Its due to a feedback control loop the ECU has for Fuel and Ignition timing... this is a new system Nissan has in all its New (2003+) cars... this number is a preset value which will tell the car to go back to its original state when it senses changes... well we just, prevent that from happening by altering this feedback number to a lower value so that the ECU cant adjust as much back.. we're testing the waters with slightly lower values and will keep on doing so until we reach a safe limit of where it dont adversely affect any safety measures pre-programmed into the ECU to prevent knocking.. but so far the preliminary results are pretty good...
So if I understand correctly this ecu change can/may add 5-7 more rwhp (by itself) and then with an intake (such as yours or maybe injen's) we may get an additional 7-9rwhp? (just a guess) and then with an exhaust we may also get another 8-15 more for a total addition of 20-31rwhp?? Maybe more??????(wishful thinking)

If that's the case it makes the ECU a VERY nice mod!

If I am way off on this please let me know.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:44 PM
Wags

You know how everyone is slapping on intakes and the car first gains power but then the hp goes away?
As to the "dialing back"... I know we keep hearing people say they keep hearing that they keep hearing... but the ECU cannot "dial back" the additional airflow...? It could initially give a little more gas and then change it's mind, but that sure would make things lean... I would just think it would help or not, becuase it needs a better map which it doesn't have...
Old 04-30-2003, 06:54 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Wags
As to the "dialing back"... I know we keep hearing people say they keep hearing that they keep hearing... but the ECU cannot "dial back" the additional airflow...? It could initially give a little more gas and then change it's mind, but that sure would make things lean... I would just think it would help or not, becuase it needs a better map which it doesn't have...

It can not physically dial back the amount of air flow you are receiving. BUT the engine computer CAN alter the amount of flow of fuel to counter act the more air.... more air flow with the same amount of fuel is by definition LEAN. So the car senses a LEAN(-er) air flow and counter acts this with more FUEL, ending up with a near normal air to fuel ratio and thus cutting the power gains.

Originally posted by Evil350z
Ironic your tuners think its "dialing out" power... Nissan admitted its ECUs do NOTHING of the sort at SEMA.

So who's telling the truth, and who's bluffing?

As far as your comment goes... Who are you going to listen to. A person hired at booth to meet with customers, most often they work in the PR department, or my tuner who actually makes race engines FOR Nismo, has been in the ECU tuning business for over 8+ years, and custom fabricates race engine components pretty much every day? I dont want to be rude, but Nissan Reps aren't really the reliable source to go to for ECU info..
Old 04-30-2003, 07:11 AM
sschmuve

It can not physically dial back the amount of air flow you are receiving. BUT the engine computer CAN alter the amount of flow of fuel to counter act the more air.... more air flow with the same amount of fuel is by definition LEAN. So the car senses a LEAN(-er) air flow and counter acts this with more FUEL, ending up with a near normal air to fuel ratio and thus cutting the power gains.

But...If the car counter acts with more fuel, this means the car is burning more air and fuel at the normal ratio. Doesn't this mean more power? I think if there is a ECU interference, it would probably retard ignition timing to void the mod. Would Nissan really make a Z this difficult to modify? I doubt it.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:18 AM
Ez350

Before we shoot this idea down based upon the reps comments from SEMA (or anyone else's comments for that matter) why don't we wait and see if the dyno produces results.

If the ECU mod produces more HP, I don't care if I get a phone call from the President of NNA.....I'm on the side of whoever produces the results.

(Putting on fire proof suit) Okay....hit me!
Old 04-30-2003, 07:26 AM
can350z

Default Chebosto...

Is there anything additional that can be adjusted with Consult 2 at the Dealership??? I have made a small timing move like others, 15* to 16* BTDC, I'm curious to hear if your tuner knows of any other easy changes that can be made??

Thanks for your continued efforts.......
Old 04-30-2003, 07:29 AM
jeffw

Originally posted by sschmuve
But...If the car counter acts with more fuel, this means the car is burning more air and fuel at the normal ratio. Doesn't this mean more power? I think if there is a ECU interference, it would probably retard ignition timing to void the mod. Would Nissan really make a Z this difficult to modify? I doubt it.
Yes, there should still be gains. Leaning the mixture out a little should mean even more gains though. The ECU could be going rich(er) to counteract any perf. mods. I don't think that is likely for emmissions reasons.

It is possible (though unlikely) that the ECU could cut throttle when you don't want it to. Remember, we have a servo controlled throttle. There is nothing stopping Nissan from adjusting the throttle independently of the gas petal.

I wonder if anyone has checked to see if our throttle body opens fully when floored? That would be an easy way for Nissan to leave "growing room" for upping the HP every model year....

--
Jeff

Quick Reply: Good News: ECU outlook good