Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

60k on stock clutch - time to worry?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 11:32 AM
mcm2176

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60k on stock clutch - time to worry?

I bought an 03 w/ 60k miles - absolutely beautiful and almost anally maintained (got a file PACKED with all the maintanence records). We've had a record-run of temps over 100 degrees for almost a month, and Ive noticed the car runs like a dog in this heat. Clutch feels really soft and the car seems sapped for power. Ive had the oil replaced with high heat/harsh condition oil and installed a K&N filter to help ease the burden of the heat, but Im concerned about the clutch. I know the older gentleman who owned the car previously drove like a nun and the miles are all highway between here and Dallas - but at 60k miles should I be thinking about getting that clutch replaced before it leaves me stranded? Ive also read on here about replacing the stock clutch cable with an SS unit - what are your thoughts?

I've performed the "slip test" (start out in 2nd gear with E-brake engaged) I ran it up to 2k and eased out the clutch pedal, and it jerked and stalled out, but Im hearing the chattering in neutral that is apparently characteristic of this breed. Ive also noticed a whining somewhere around 3000rpm (I checked and it wasn't my wife this time!) that is consistent in gears 2-5... Throwout bearing???

I drive the car pretty normally, but I get "spirited" kinda often (its a 300hp sports car - what do you expect!!!)

Am I being overly sensitive to the quirks of the car, or are my concerns warranted?

A 2000 stock clutch job is a little pricey just for putting my mind at ease, and Ive looked at aftermarket performance parts as an option, though I'll save that for a later thread. Any suggestions???
Old 08-23-2006, 11:52 AM
fonzy

Im at 90,000K and i do need a new clutch, but like you i havent purchased one because it is too pricy, especially if you want the best in the market. I did notice a difference in torque on my car. The pedal is extremely hard that my girlfriend cant even drive my car no more( a + for me). Everytime I want to take of on second gear I can actually hear the slipping. I guess ill run it till it dies on me, just hope nothing else breaks.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:57 AM
FastZ33

lol im at 12k and i WANT a new clutch. i hate the stock clutch
Old 08-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There are a lot of threads on replacement clutches. I recommend you browse through older threads or use the search function.

Many people will tell you to try the JWT clutch/flywheel combo...it is a good clutch, and is reasonably priced. With a fairly priced mechanic/dealer, it's a winning combo. (IIRC parts+install should be much less than 2k out the door).

P.S. Have you seen the stock flywheel in person? This thing is a beast and the dual mass characteristics of it **** me off.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 08-23-2006 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With an older clutch u cant only think of disc wear, That may be minimal due to the fact he drove like a Nun---But instead, of pressure plate deteriation.
The diaphram or the levers ---What ever the case may be lose their "spring" due to what cant be avoided if ur a Nun or not--- High heat and everyday engagement and disengagement they just lose their Clamping power which in turn causes disc slippage which in turn causes more heat which in turn makes it time to give "last rights" and replace the assy.
And IMO Master and Slave cyl. along with SS Hyd. Line

Last edited by Eazzy; 08-23-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:22 PM
mcm2176

thanks guys. Im new the board and I appreciate your helpful attitudes. I can't tell you the number of boards I've been on, under a wide range of topics, where the people replying to posts are just jerks. They can't wait to rip on someone and display their superiority (often false superiority) on a topic. Again, I appreciate it.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by E***zzzzy
And IMO Master and Slave cyl. along with SS Hyd. Line
I was already thinking about SS line for clutch, but what benefit do you get from upgrading the master/slave cyls? (Or you're just talking about replacing, for maintenance)?
Old 08-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clutch replacement is a great idea, especially when installing a new clutch. In regards to your original question, clutches rarely leave people stranded, especially if you drive your car gently. I would wait until it starts showing signs of slipping, and then purchase a new clutch. For NA applications, the JWT clutch/flywheel is a great combo, and a good price. $799 shipped: http://www.forgedperformance.com/sto...cat=269&page=1
Old 08-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wired ---- The slave should be a part of it because its THERE when u do ur clutch---Just doing a job right.

I believe in balance with Hi milage deals---New slave--New Master. Many times Iv seen one replaced and not the other, then 2 months go by and ur replacing the "brother". This is not an upgrade---Just new stock hydraulics.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
The clutch replacement is a great idea, especially when installing a new clutch. In regards to your original question, clutches rarely leave people stranded, especially if you drive your car gently. I would wait until it starts showing signs of slipping, and then purchase a new clutch. For NA applications, the JWT clutch/flywheel is a great combo, and a good price. $799 shipped: http://www.forgedperformance.com/sto...cat=269&page=1
Sharif, does the $799 include EVERYTHING you need such as pressure plate / throw out bearing? The wording seems kind of ambiguous.