Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clutch choices

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 10:33 AM
SteveZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by QuadCam
which flywheel is the way to go? streetlite or prolite? Is their a noise difference? is the prolite too light for daily street driving? any drwbacks to going prolite over streetlite?
I just went with JWT C&PP, FWheel. It is very difficult for me to hear or feel any flywheel chatter noise as I was warned to expect moving from dual mass stock flywheel. Don't know the weights for all 3 but JWT is pretty damn light and inside the car at idle I cannot hear any chatter. Get outside the car and yes down by the ground I can hear a slight mechanical noise which could be described as a "chatter" but is very, very faint.

More significant is the huge difference in the clutch - uptake is very low in the travel, strong as heck, stalled the car 2x backing up until I broke my old habits of expecting it to be way up top. 2/3 shift is now very impressive, I must have been having some slip for a long time there. Now it is right on.

Only difference so far I see it the rev up and rev down is quick, and for some reason my idle is ~500 rpm, was I believe higher by a 100 or 200 rpm before.

One BAD thing - much to my major disappointment, my clutch slave cylinder died within 48 hours of the new clutch install. This should be a standard step - toss the old one, put in a stronger line and a new slave, 30 bucks won't kill you. It is exposed to the elements and the driver's side CAT heat, not cool. Mine has blown its seals. Was very cold this morning, around 40 deg F, backed out of the garage, 10 mins later pushed in the clutch to go and it just stuck to the floor. Arrghh!

Since I had problems with the pedal return in hot weather and stop and go driving, 3 years/30k miles, I am guessing that having a real working clutch just pushed it over the edge, leaks profusely from the main shaft bearings of the slave. Line is OK, no issues there. I am HOPING that the OEM Slave is up to the task of working with the stronger clutch and living in bliss...

But for now, my clutch fluid is puked onto my driveway, waiting for a new slave cylinder and hoping that it is up to the task of the stronger JWT clutch force. It should not be an issue, since the clutch when you disengage it has a lot of force trying to bring things back together.

Bummer to get into the car day two after a new clutch and FW and push the pedal down, but it sits on the floor. A quick check of an empty clutch fluid master and the location of the leak said it all...

Click here for some of my Clutch Pics...