Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Any Full bolt-on Rev-ups out there?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 06:43 PM
shifty711

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Full bolt-on Rev-ups out there?

Hey, is there anyone who has a full bolton rev up, with a tune. I know one of you guys out there has to have an idea of what type of power it puts down.
So far I have a Short Ram intake, Merv+, Strupp headers, UTR test pipes, and Injen SES dual exhaust. I still would like to get a new crank pulley and Emanage with a tune.
I keep hearing that the rev-up is dynoing higher than the 287 motor, but have never seen a dyno with comparable mods. And I dont really see the sense in dynoing the car if it isnt complete so i personally havent done it yet.
So If there is anyone out there let me know.
The butt dyno says the car pulls really good to about 5500 and then from 5500-7000 it feels like a dog. Im thinking its because it needs a tune, but who knows
Feedback please
Old 08-29-2006, 07:08 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

the reason you feel better pull in the mid range is that you switched your plenum runners to the mrev+ .

Tony/Motordyne never advertized that MREV+ gives you a better top range HP over stock, because it doesn't. Go for the tune once you get all the bolt ons done
Old 08-30-2006, 07:43 PM
daytona350zr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have full bolt on's but have yet to tune my car. See my sig for mods and as far as number's I dyno'd 258.1 HP and 250.6 TQ. Hope that helps.

John
Old 08-30-2006, 07:54 PM
ct350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daytona350zr
I have full bolt on's but have yet to tune my car. See my sig for mods and as far as number's I dyno'd 258.1 HP and 250.6 TQ. Hope that helps.

John
dam for not being tuned your doing pretty good, look at my sig and see what i have and my hp is only a little bit more then yours. and your tq is better then mines. i have to retune my sh*t soon..
Old 08-30-2006, 07:56 PM
shifty711

John
does yours feel slow in top end too or is it just me. Im thinking about switchin out the lower plenums and putting back the original rev up lower plenum
Old 08-30-2006, 08:15 PM
daytona350zr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shifty711
does yours feel slow in top end too or is it just me. Im thinking about switchin out the lower plenums and putting back the original rev up lower plenum

I don't feel any lose up top, if anything my call pulls harder and longer then when it was stock. As I understand stock rev-up's dyno anywhere from 230-250 hp and I'm at 258. IMO TQ>peak HP as you will use the power down low alot more then peak HP. I would keep the MREV+ and ADD the 5/16th ISO thermal spacer to help keep some of that HP that you lose up top from the MREV+. Hope that helps.

John

Last edited by daytona350zr; 08-30-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:33 AM
shifty711

I don't feel any lose up top, if anything my call pulls harder and longer then when it was stock. As I understand stock rev-up's dyno anywhere from 230-250 hp and I'm at 258. IMO TQ>peak HP as you will use the power down low alot more then peak HP. I would keep the MREV+ and ADD the 5/16th ISO thermal spacer to help keep some of that HP that you lose up top from the MREV+. Hope that helps.

John
I have the spacer. Isnt that what merv+ is. Anyway, whatever i ordered was a modified lower plenum and a spacer. Merv+.
It just sucks racing on the freeway. when your hanging in high rpm a long time you really notice the loss. just my opinion.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:53 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Dyno it to be sure of the differences. There shouldn't be much of a difference at the peak ...about +5/-4 HP from baseline peak.

What you will see is much greater TQ in the upper midrange with the MREV. Even though the stock plenum and MREV decline to the same level of TQ at the top, the MREV has a much bigger TQ curve earlier on.

When the MREV 5K RPM TQ numbers start higher, the relative decline from 5K to 7K is greater even though the final number at 7K is the same as stock.

Maybey this is what you are feeling?
Old 09-01-2006, 08:28 AM
shifty711

To be honest I dont think its the Merv at all, I was just reving the motor in my drive way this morning and noticed a whole lot of fuel comming out of the exhaust. I blipped the throttle 2 times to about 5k and ground behind the pipes was all damp with fuel.

So, it really think its just time for a tune.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:00 PM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damp with fuel? You have serious problems buddy. I had a very similar setup, and NEVER saw anything like that, and it pulled much better than stock. The only dampness I saw was from water, a byproduct of combustion. I suspect you have other problems, nothing to do with the MREV.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:43 AM
shifty711

Originally Posted by undrgnd
Damp with fuel? You have serious problems buddy. I had a very similar setup, and NEVER saw anything like that, and it pulled much better than stock. The only dampness I saw was from water, a byproduct of combustion. I suspect you have other problems, nothing to do with the MREV.
So your saying that the fluid comming out is water. Interesting. It has a fuel smell.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there is no way the grass was damp with fuel...your car would have burned to the ground by now if you had that much unburnt gas

it is condensation - it smells like fuel because you have no cats

you need a tune

these cars dont make big high end HP without alot of work...otherwise they do exactly what you are feeling they do. They have nice mid range power. To net power up top is going to take more than a tune....headers for one, cams (when/if they offer them) would be a logical choice as well
Old 09-05-2006, 04:54 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
there is no way the grass was damp with fuel...your car would have burned to the ground by now if you had that much unburnt gas

you need a tune

these cars dont make big high end HP without alot of work...otherwise they do exactly what you are feeling they do. They have nice mid range power. To net power up top is going to take more than a tune....headers for one, cams (when/if they offer them) would be a logical choice as well
Speaking of cams, what cams do you recommend for the non rev up motor? I have an 03 with full bolt ons (CAI, plenum, headers, cats, exhaust and ECU reflash) and am interested in getting cams. I want something to give me more at the top end without sacrificing torque down low and overall drivability.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:05 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Nismo ^
Old 09-05-2006, 05:47 AM
ZPirate

Nismo ^
Thanks. I wasn't sure if the Nismo cams are aggressive enough. I have been thinking about the JWT cams because they are more aggressive than the Nismos, but not as aggressive as some others. I just don't know that much about the JWTs nor anyone who has them. I know someone who has the Nismo cams and they really like them.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:53 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

they are nearly identical in their specs, but NISMO needs no vacuum related mods for idle quality
Old 09-05-2006, 06:07 AM
ZPirate

they are nearly identical in their specs, but NISMO needs no vacuum related mods for idle quality
Thanks again. If I go with the Nismo cams will I need to have my ECU reflashed again?
Old 09-05-2006, 06:10 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

they say no
Old 09-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Friend of mine had pop-charger, mrev2, test pipes and aam 3" exhaust in his revup. He did 272whp and 260ft/lbs on a Dynojet(untuned). Car ran strong, in 4th and after it would just walk a non revup that ran the same ET and MPH down the 1/4....
Old 09-06-2006, 04:41 AM
shifty711

you need a tune

I already have headers. But anyway, i heard that you can get intake cams for the rev-up motor. Is this true, and if so do you know anyone who has it. And is the gain worth the price?

Quick Reply: Any Full bolt-on Rev-ups out there?