Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

So who's going to have the 1st 350HP 350Z?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 10:06 PM
dczoner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So who's going to have the 1st 350HP 350Z?

Okay, ever since I heard they were building a 350Z, I knew that I wanted to build a 350hp car. So it looks like thats almost within reach now with:

-AEM / Injen CA Intake
-Stillen ? / Nismo ? / Other ? Exhaust
-ECU - still in the works right? Nothing's come out with actual power numbers.
-Underdrive Pulleys
-Long Tube Headers - very soon.

All told, these might add up to:
Intake - 5hp
Exhaust - 10hp
ECU - 10hp?
UD Pulleys - 5hp?
Headers - 20hp ???

Totalling a net gain of 50hp, a 337 crank hp n/a 350z. Maybe a little more out of the ECU, perhaps running 100 octane on race day you'd get 350hp. Pretty close. Close enough for me at least. Now I don't have the money for it, so who's gonna build the 1st 350hp 350z?
Old 03-03-2003, 10:13 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default more power

Forget 350hp, I want 400hp, that is my goal. I hope with an ECU and supercharger, i can reach it.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:15 PM
nosuchsol

Well, it's more like this

Intake - 2-5hp
Exhaust - 0-13hp
ECU - 10-15hp
UD Pulleys - 5hp
Headers - 0-10hp

There's a member who has been testing some headers and I don't think it's been that large of an increase at all. The exhaust is dependent on brand and what it replaces. The ECU is up in the air but that seems to be the average. UD pulley is good.

Good Luck! The easiest would be the supercharger or turbo kit. errr.. maybe not easiest but fastest way to 350
Old 03-03-2003, 10:16 PM
nosuchsol

Default Re: more power

Originally posted by zland
Forget 350hp, I want 400hp, that is my goal. I hope with an ECU and supercharger, i can reach it.
I'm tempted to say that 400+ hp will require a 7th injector or larger injectors.... I'm not sure on the 350Z though since it hasn't been tested yet. =)
Old 03-03-2003, 11:57 PM
outazway

what about turbos I heard there is a twin turbo set in the mix that will give 450hp at the wheels turbos are the way to go I had a 425hp z32tt and I won't be happy until my 350 kills her and my tt could move.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:25 AM
Phatmitzu

Well..didnt someone in this forum already spraying 70hp shot NOS? I guess he would be the first to come close to 350hp then.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:43 AM
BigBadBuford

I think it will probably be a while until we see a 350 hp NA 350Z. Thats a 63 hp increase over stock and that would be quite a large gain from simple bolt-ons like intake/exhaust. If the ECU is really that restrictive we may be close, but I have a hard time seeing it hiding that much power. Once cams are released we will probably be fairly close. I'd be interested to see someone pull the heads, have them milled down to raise the compression a bit, port/polish the heads (and flow test them to see a good cfm gain), and extrude hone the intake manifold. With those mods and an ECU to match I'm sure we would see big power gains.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:26 AM
Zaphod 350z

Stock 287hp
Injen intake +4hp
Res removeal +2hp
NOS shot +80hp

I have 373hp?
Old 03-04-2003, 06:47 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

dont forget that with all these ooglies of power, the Tranny will be the liability issue..

nissan has a history of GREAT engines, crummy trannies.

i just hope that they built the Z to hold up to at least ~50 more ponies than stock..

underdrive pullies are great. i had them on the Max, they allow the engine to rev up quicker, although i saw a slight decrease in power steering input and a slight lag on my A/C system, that was negotiable when driving..

anyone think about port n polishing the intake runners?

the quickest way to 350hp would be NOS, good way would be Turbo, and the hardest would be NA... for obvious reasons..

oh yeah.. if you have a supercharger, i dont think you can use the underdrive pulley, since the UDP is a smaller and lighter variant of the stock drive pulley, the UDP would have to turn faster to get the same amount of boost as compared to a stock drive pulley. this is not the case for a turbo application, since you're not using a belt to drive anything!
Old 03-04-2003, 09:13 AM
McDan

Originally posted by Chebosto
dont forget that with all these ooglies of power, the Tranny will be the liability issue..

nissan has a history of GREAT engines, crummy trannies.

i just hope that they built the Z to hold up to at least ~50 more ponies than stock..

underdrive pullies are great. i had them on the Max, they allow the engine to rev up quicker, although i saw a slight decrease in power steering input and a slight lag on my A/C system, that was negotiable when driving..

anyone think about port n polishing the intake runners?

the quickest way to 350hp would be NOS, good way would be Turbo, and the hardest would be NA... for obvious reasons..

oh yeah.. if you have a supercharger, i dont think you can use the underdrive pulley, since the UDP is a smaller and lighter variant of the stock drive pulley, the UDP would have to turn faster to get the same amount of boost as compared to a stock drive pulley. this is not the case for a turbo application, since you're not using a belt to drive anything!
But the auto tranny is the same as used in the Q45, so I'm sure it can handle quite a bit more that 274ftlbs. And surely the manual would be a little more stout than the auto.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:01 PM
nosuchsol

The Z32 5-speed was always said to be bullet-proof... although I managed to have mine replaced. =)
Old 03-04-2003, 01:05 PM
TonyZXT

Not all Nissan trannies are crummy. There are many highly modded older Z's out there with stock trannies. I know a guy who had a high hp 240Z with a four speed out of an older Nissan truck, and he beat the %*!@ out of that tranny, never broke it. Broke halfshafts, driveshaft yoke, disintegrated a clutch, ripped the rear end mounts out, broke motor mounts, and even a crankshaft in that car over the years, but never broke that tranny! One of the funniest things I've ever seen was the look on a modded 92 Mustang GT owners face when he looks under the hood of the primered 240z that just smoked his ***, to see a dirty old straight six, with not a performance part in sight. (It was HIGHLY modded, but you couldn't tell that by looking at it.) I cried from laughing so hard. That $100,000 from america's funniest home videos would have been MINE, had I gotten that on tape!
Anyway, lets hope the new Z tranny follows that tradition.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:57 PM
3rdpower

I personally think a ECU, Intake, Exhaust could get us to 300 at the crank. Add headers and I see 315 being possible...
Old 03-04-2003, 10:03 PM
dczoner

What's the weakest link on the Z? I guess now that performance parts are coming out, people are going to be hitting up against some parts that just don't take much more than stock. Is it clutch, flywheel, tranny? What's going to be necessary to change when these cars start hitting 320-350hp? Also, for a higher output N/A, would oil cooler & improved fuel injectors start to become necessities? I bolted on about 25 hp to my n/a 300zx back in the day, and I never upgraded anything beyond my add-ons.

Just kinda wondering. I also want to make sure that any mods that I do now will not impede my ability to generate future hp, or that maybe there's a mod I can do early on thats low $$$ but will enable me to better upgrade the performance down the road. And keep in mind, I want to stay N/A - no FI, no NOX. Why? Because I'm just that kinda guy.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:34 AM
TonyZXT

"Who's compound is so hard that finding traction in cold weather is like weapons inspectors tring to find those chemical warheads that were moved just hours before they got there?, Tires you are the weakest link,.... GOODBYE!" After that it's definately the clutch. Beyond that, get out to the track people, let's see some timeslips and some broken parts! Hopefully tranny syncros won't be high up on the list.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:55 AM
Jumpman--Z

Do you think it would be possible to make the 350Z as fast as a Z06? I know it would leave a stock Z in the dust, but with 450hp twin turbo, I'm guessing it could make up for the extra weight, since the Z06 has only 405 hp. That's my goal, to keep up with that car.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:10 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default yes but

Sure, it could be made to keep up but at what cost in dependability and how much will it cost? That is the issue!
Old 03-05-2003, 12:41 PM
dczoner

Originally posted by Jumpman--Z
Do you think it would be possible to make the 350Z as fast as a Z06? I know it would leave a stock Z in the dust, but with 450hp twin turbo, I'm guessing it could make up for the extra weight, since the Z06 has only 405 hp. That's my goal, to keep up with that car.
I think you'd have a really hard time keeping up with a Z06. I mean, sure you could tack on Forced Induction with a whole hoard of supporting parts, but by the time you get done with all of this, wouldn't it just make sense to go out and buy a used Z06? I mean, you're talking potentially 7-12 grand for a ton of performance parts that will completely blow away your warranty, reliability, street demeanor, etc. At some point it does become a "no replacement for displacement" fight.

I'm keeping my sights set on stock C5's, stock 911's, Toyota Supra Turbo's, TT Z32's (low stages, ie I-III), those sorts of cars. I'd love to be able to run high 13 quarters with consistent sub 5.5 0-60's. Thats my goal.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:00 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

I say strap on a super charger, get the ECU upgrade, hopefully you are under $5K and hopefully you will get between 350-400hp. Got a dependable Z that is quick. For me, I am not thinking of buying a Z06, I am looking at I purchased a 29K Z, put 5K in performance upgrades and it will keep up with 70K+ 911, M3's, and maybe come close to matching Z06 in 0-60. For me, i like Nissans, Vettes are GM which means rattles and inferior engineering (IMHO). If you disagree, ask some guys on 350Z.com that have owned vettes and a 350Z.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:58 PM
lex350

Boy, this is an old thread, lol. 350hp.

Quick Reply: So who's going to have the 1st 350HP 350Z?