Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Dampners and reducing harmonics...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 09:27 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dampners and reducing harmonics...

As most know there are two main companies that make some sort of dampner for our engines. These two companies (ATI and Fluid Dampr) both do this through the means of a crank pulley which contains some sort of material that will absorb harmonics and vibrations. This can be through the use of rubber (such as the stock crank pulley) or some sort of silicon (I think aka FD crank pullies).

Essentially, harmonics and vibrations are transmitted from the accessories of an engine to the belt and then into the crank pulley which then transmits them to the crank and bearings. This can eventually lead to excessive wear without dampening of some sort. I believe that a certain amount of virbration is from the belt it self coming into contact with the pullies, especially if you have cog style pullies (special supercharger setups mainly).

HOWEVER, AS WE ALL KNOW, OUR ENGINES HAVE INTERNAL HARMONIC BALANCERS.

It seems that having a dampner on the crank, although it will more than likely not save your engine as it does for some other cars (many run solid crank pullies on the Z's without problem), it is still considered a good safe measure. Dampners seem to be quite expensive and are somewhat heavier generally than stock pullies and a significant amount heavier than lightweight pullies.

My question is simple.

Is there any way to obsorb some of the vibrations out of the belt in a more economic way then buying a dampner? A fair amount of vibrations are transferred through the belt and into the crank pulley. If you could obsorb some of those vibrations prior to the crank pulley it could be benefitial even though not as effective as a dampened crank pulley.

My idea is could you use a fluid filled or dampened (in one way or another) tensioner pulley?

The cost to make it would be extremely cheaper than that of a crank pulley and it could allow those who use solid crank pullies to hopefully retain as much safety as the mildly dampned stock crank pulley.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL, man you have it backwards. There's a whole write up on this in several posts. Do a search. One of them is even on the next page down in this forum titled, "crank pullies". And there is no such thing as an "internal harmonic balancer".
Will
Old 09-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol! Slap me in the head for that one. I just read that post and was like s**t! Oh well!

No more responses needed then I guess.