Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

fly-by-wire throttle question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Omega350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fly-by-wire throttle question.

Ok, I am looking for anyone that can help me with some minor technical information...

I know that our car has a fly-by-wire throttle, so that must mean there is a sending wire and some sort of signal for throttle position.

I have been making several types of LED meters for boost, air/fuel ratio, voltage, and so on.... What I am looking for is if anyone knows what wires actually carry the sending signal, and what voltage the signal runs (minimum and maximum). Typically for sending signals it seems that they are a 0.1v to 1.0v signal.

I am trying to design the LED throttle position meter and the only component i need to make this function properly is the correct IC driver chip. I have teh list of chips, but i need to know the WOT voltage signal and the zero throttle position voltage signal.

Anyone that can help it would be greatly appreciated. Im not sure what I can really do for you in return, but once i get the layout done and have a working prototype of the LED TPS meter, I could offer you one for the cost of parts or something? Kinda like trading my time for yours?

Also, look forward to my custom air/fuel meter installation in my Z sometime soon.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:16 PM
redlineRED350z

Are you looking for the same TPS wire that the zex kit uses? If you are then it is the green wire.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:41 AM
Omega350Z

Originally posted by redlineRED350z
Are you looking for the same TPS wire that the zex kit uses? If you are then it is the green wire.
I am looking for the wire (you answered that one i think), and also what the voltage current that runs thru it reads at MAX and ZERO throttle position so i can determine what IC chip is necessary to design a TPS meter around. Some signals only run between 0.1volt and 1.0volt as min and max, and then some can go as high as 0.1volt to a full 12v signal between min and max. Theres about 120 different IC chips i have to choose between to be sure i have the right one.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:03 PM
koryo

it's not that simple.

four wires are to/from a custom quadature encoder for the position and two are power for the servo. the servo apparently runs -12v to +12v. because of the design, simply reading the voltage will not give you a very accurate throttle position.

i would suggest deciphering/using the signals from encoder.

if you want, when i get some time, i can post the pin outs for you.

koryo
Old 03-08-2003, 08:52 AM
Omega350Z

Originally posted by koryo
it's not that simple.

four wires are to/from a custom quadature encoder for the position and two are power for the servo. the servo apparently runs -12v to +12v. because of the design, simply reading the voltage will not give you a very accurate throttle position.

i would suggest deciphering/using the signals from encoder.

if you want, when i get some time, i can post the pin outs for you.

koryo
I think you are reading into the wrong page on what I am looking for. It sounds like you assume i am going to be running wires into the engine bay. I plan on running directly from the accelerator pedal assembly for a TPS meter. If what you are saying is true, based on even the most basic of electrical design, the throttle would not begin to respond until you had pushed the accelerator pedal halfway down. There is no "servo" in the pedal assembly, it is simply a signal wire that leads to this "servo" assembly you refer to.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:26 PM
menehune

How about this?
Old 03-08-2003, 10:28 PM
menehune

Attached Thumbnails fly-by-wire throttle question.-tps.jpg  
Old 03-09-2003, 07:46 AM
Omega350Z

Originally posted by menehune
A ha ha ha, i think youve got it.

tapping into the 50 lead would give me what i am looking for, thats strange though because it looks like it would almost be a 5 volt signal but not quite... I would have to trim down teh upper end to show wot at 4.7~ volts, but yea, this should work. Ill figure out the parts i need this week when im at work and start designing a layout. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:54 PM
jackwhale

While you're looking at all the wires under the dash, do you have ideas about hooking up a standard sized shift light.

I really don't even notice the small stock shift light in the speedometer face when I 'm driving. Is there a wire that could tie into the stock light and power a larger standard light?
Old 03-10-2003, 01:29 PM
koryo

yup, my mistake. you said "throttle" i read "throttle body". yes, the parts i was referring to are the electronic throttle body servo and sensor. maybe you should have said "accelerator pedal".

my bad.

koryo