Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

How to clean the Throttle Body...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 01:25 PM
halfass872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean the Throttle Body...

I realize this is a fairly elementary question. But to clean the throttle body, is it just a matter of removing the intake piping and wiping the inside surfaces with carb cleaner?? If i remove the Throttlebody to clean easier can i re-use the gasket?? Thanks!
Old 09-23-2006, 02:11 PM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I took the TB off to replace the plenum, i used acetone and a paper towel. It worked great. Make sure you disconnect the battery before you unlpug the electrical connector from the TB. Also, make sure NOT to push on the butterfly plate at all or you may have to perform a learning procedure. I reused the gasket, torqued to 90 in-lbs, no leaks, no problems, runs great. Connect the battery AFTER everything else is hooked up.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:20 PM
halfass872

Great, thanx! Unfortunatly i already did it and i didnt unplug the battery....but at no time did i turn on the key while it was removed, so hopefully when i go back out tonite i won't have any problems. If so how hard is the "re-learning" procedure for the TB?
Old 09-23-2006, 03:25 PM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will probably experience some idle issues, rough running, stalls, but nothing major. The procedure is not that difficult, download the MREV installation manual here http://www.motordyneengineering.com/manual.pdf and look on page 9, everything you may need is there. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:06 PM
halfass872

[QUOTE=undrgnd]You will probably experience some idle issues, rough running, stalls, but nothing major. The procedure is not that difficult, download the MREV installation manual here http://www.motordyneengineering.com/manual.pdf and look on page 9, everything you may need is there. Good luck.[/QUOTE

Thanks!! Well i was lucky! Just so everyone knows who may womder. I had no probs at all. Started up like i did nothing different to the car. I unplugged the T.B., moved the throttle plate various times to get to all the nooks and crannys, and re-installed it, with no problems, without disconnecting the battery. I think the key is not to turn on the key at anytime while you have it unplugged, then the computer will never have a chance to realize anythign is different. Thanks to all!!