Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Vid of my weird JWT clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 07:43 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i can't hear anything but the usual TN sounds. sorry!
Old 10-05-2006, 02:42 PM
in2therain3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll do a better video soon.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:16 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by in2therain3
Here is a video of my clutch noise..
it dose it only when the clutch is put in or slipping the clutch
All the information should be in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ5_M8uYHTg
did you go to the JWT flywheel or another flywheel that is not dual mass like the stock one?
Old 10-06-2006, 10:23 AM
zman1910

What kind of Navi do you have?
Old 10-06-2006, 11:30 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by zman1910
What kind of Navi do you have?
The stock pop-up unit Infiniti sold in 2004 model year on the G coupe. Works great; I don't like touch screens because they tend to look like crap over time and not very sharp image.

It changed the next year a little, but I have been very happy with it. I had a M35 loaner and its nav unit was not one you could tilt or push down into the dash when not in use. Not a big step forward IMHO...
Old 10-06-2006, 11:34 AM
SteveZ

Angry

No problems in the clutch. It runs great and grabs fine. Just the noise that bothers me sometimes. Clutch has been in for 2500 miles and the noise started after I adjusted my engagement point. AAM did the install and yes it was the complete JWT kit with the throw-out bearing. The noise doesn't depend on the weather from what I can tell and it is not getting any worse. It just anoys me when I hear it.. (little things bother me a lot)
Same setup I have in mine now - complete JWT kit.

When I replace the dead slave cyl I will try to get a sound clip of the chatter noise I only hear at idle or very low revs starting out.

Right now I have a 3000+ lb paperweight with a puddle underneath it until my parts come in.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:44 PM
in2therain3

what is the cause of slave cyl dying and how do you identify? I just wanted to know for future reference. Anyways, my clutch does this when I push in the clutch and rev to high rpms really quick. Or slip the clutch a little when I start moving. Same noise for both.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:43 AM
SteveZ

what is the cause of slave cyl dying and how do you identify? I just wanted to know for future reference. Anyways, my clutch does this when I push in the clutch and rev to high rpms really quick. Or slip the clutch a little when I start moving. Same noise for both.
Slave has fluid & seals, in my case the seals appear to have failed and fluid leaked out (all of it) around the rubber boot.

If your clutch ever slips when the pedal is all the way up then you need to get it checked. If the slave isn't working well the pedal is slow to return (or not at all) and yet you are moving possibly w/o fully engaging the clutch, just as if you were riding the clutch with your foot - same effect. It will ruin your clutch. I did not have any noise w/mine, just slippage in 5th/6th was first warning of problems.

I am thinking this may have been part of why mine died - I had problems in hot weather with slow pedal return esp low speed starting out, I would smell burnt clutch afterward. Check out the pic of the clutch plate I posted - those colors on the inside are from excessive heat and all that was left of the friction surface was charred black bits.

I think the reason heat was an issue is twofold:
1) The d*mn driver side cat is maybe eight inches from the slave cyl. There is a crummy little metal shield and some heat shielding on the line going in. That line is exposed to a lot of heat. The slave cyl is exposed to a lot of heat.

2) There is not a lot of volume of clutch fluid from top to bottom - I can easily imagine since this is same as brake fluid (exactly the same) it could easily get so heat soaked it boils. If it gets so hot I can see the seals in the slave getting cooked and/or not lubricated well, binding the return movement.

Someone needs to make a better piece - it's a crappy little unit, a $28 part that if it doesn't work, will cost you $800-1000+ in toasted clutch. There were NISMO slave upgrades for US 240SX and a few other Nissans but have not seen anything other than lines for upgrades yet for our cars.

I'll post a pic.