Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 09:49 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Default B&M Rough Shifts

Hey Guys and Gals,

I just installed my B&M short throw shifter. My question is... is it always hard to get into gear. Before with the stock shifter I never really had to press the clutch all the way in. I guess its hard to explain.

No more quick shifting. I guess

Thanks everybody

Chris
Old 10-05-2006, 09:52 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NA&CH
Hey Guys and Gals,

I just installed my B&M short throw shifter. My question is... is it always hard to get into gear. Before with the stock shifter I never really had to press the clutch all the way in. I guess its hard to explain.

Thanks everybody

Chris
Stock shifter FTW!

I've heard a lot of horror stories about B&M with our transmissions. If I were to buy a short shifter for the Z, I would get it from 350evo. I haven't heard any complaints from their shifters. I'm not even sure if they still sell it, might want to ask around.

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NA&CH
Hey Guys and Gals,

Thanks everybody

Chris

u need to re-align the brass plate. try that. and check the bolts.

clutch pressing should be independent of what shifter you use..
Old 10-06-2006, 05:08 AM
NA&CH
MY350Z.COM

Ok so it should be a little adjustment.

Ill see what I can do. Thanks Cheston. Thanks 97supra.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:37 PM
VIZAGE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1
Old 10-08-2006, 01:16 PM
gersteinp

I've had my B&M shifter for over a year with nothing but good things to say about it. Proper install is everything, however--just like any mod.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:43 AM
NA&CH
MY350Z.COM

Thats what I am thinking and hoping. just a minor adjustment.

Thanks again guys.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:33 AM
nosurf2day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the percentage of throw reduction for a b&M I am thinking of buying the rouge engenering one but its throw is only reduced by 20%. Is the B&M more?
Old 11-17-2006, 08:38 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a thread titled The worst mods that I installed. Short shifters are named frequently.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:49 PM
gersteinp

Throw reduction is 33%. And, contrary to all the naysayers, the B&M was one of the best mods I've ever done.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Gary King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like my B&M. Running it with a shorter shift **** too, take it to the track, shift fast, no problem. Mine doesn't make much noise either. I think allot or the complaints about the B&M stem from poor installs.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:14 AM
gersteinp

I think that's exactly true. I did a lot of experimentation with the install until I found a method that eliminates about 90% of the rattle and tightens the whole apparatus up--by winding one or two layers of tightly stretched electrical tape around the black metal pivot housing before lubing the whole thing and installing it into the transmission housing cup. This takes out any slop in the shifting mechanism and stops vibration of metal on metal. Over a year later, everything is still perfect. I told B&M about this and recommended they clad the pivot in Delrin or something similar. In any event, this is such a cheap and simple fix that the Delrin isn't really necessary.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Darth Zader

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by gersteinp
...by winding one or two layers of tightly stretched electrical tape around the black metal pivot housing before lubing the whole thing and installing it into the transmission housing cup. This takes out any slop in the shifting mechanism and stops vibration of metal on metal.
Where were you hearing the sound? I've got a wicked little rattle at high RPMs inside the shift ****? Did securing the housing a little better reduce vibration to the ****? Anyone try using teflon tape or loctite on the threading? Other than that, I'd have to say that the short throw is great.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:44 PM
gersteinp

Originally Posted by Darth Zader
Where were you hearing the sound? I've got a wicked little rattle at high RPMs inside the shift ****? Did securing the housing a little better reduce vibration to the ****? Anyone try using teflon tape or loctite on the threading? Other than that, I'd have to say that the short throw is great.
Regarding the shift ****, remove the chamfered silver spacer before you reinstall the ****. In my case, even though I thought it was fully tight, I was able to get another full turn out of the ****. Avoid overtorquing the shaft by holding it, under the fascia plate, with a channel locks. Use red LocTite on the threads, not too much, or the **** won't stay in place. Don't use teflon.

Before you replace the ****, go for a drive with it off and gun the car in several gears to be sure there isn't some other source of rattle (you may get some mild rattle in the shaft under hard revs over 3K--eliminated by putting down-pressure on the end of the shaft. Too much rattle and you may not have wrapped the pivot sufficiently with electrical tape. Hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Darth Zader

Yeah, it is definitely in the ****. I verified this the other night by driving with it off. I've tried with and without the spacer. I've tightened the hell out of it, as well as fairly loose. So far the spacer has pushed the rattle up into the higher RPMs where it was worse sooner without it. I've widened the hole in the aluminum where the housing is held in place above the linkage. What is the reasoning around holding the shaft and torque?

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:46 PM
gersteinp

There's a service bulletin about needing to hold the shaft to prevent linkage damage if you're twisting hard on the **** either off or on.

I have no idea what you mean by widening the aluminum (where?) or why you needed to do this.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Darth Zader

Ah, of course.

Another forum has sticky for a fix dealing with rattles. If the link comes through: http://www2.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=150410
Old 12-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Darth Zader

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by gersteinp
[...] winding one or two layers of tightly stretched electrical tape around the black metal pivot housing before lubing the whole thing and installing it into the transmission housing cup.
Well...this didnt' work. It didn't even affect the noise at all. I was looking closely at the shifter and I noticed that the ball the shifter pivots with is a separate piece of metal from the actual shaft and that the shaft can slide about a millimeter up and down through this ball. I'm curious if this is the vibration and why the hell B&M kept the ball separate from the shaft. I'm not sure if I can slip an additional c-clip between the ball and the stop but I need to do something. This thing is driving me insane (in spite of the fact that I only hear it at above 4000 RPMs). Actually, with two wraps of electrical tape and lots of lube I have managed to get my shifter stuck with some effort to push it down for reverse. I guess two wraps was too close or perhaps it didn't need it top to bottom.

Anyway, if anyone else has any input, please chime in.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:05 AM
NA&CH
MY350Z.COM

well i think the b&m might be causing my third gear grind.(possible??) I am thinking of switching back to stock.

And then take it to the dealer to get it checked.

Quick Reply: B&M Rough Shifts