Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Race Gas, NA?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 03:31 PM
DanielW
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a popcharger only and I put in about 33% 100 octane to 66% 93 today and I could tell a deffinite difference.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:00 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mario60185
Who are you talking to?
LOL. ZLadie2000 of course.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I've been wondering the same thing. I think there will be a difference but not as much as if you were boosted. I'm head to my tuner Tuesday to get my 91 octane (6000' altitude) tune. I plan on going back on the 28th to tune with 100 octane. Keep an eye out for my posts.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:18 AM
jackie chan

you want to run the lowest octane possible without detonation. race gas wont add any power.

the only reason i run a higher octane in my car is to not detonate not because i am making more power with it.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:29 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jackie chan
you want to run the lowest octane possible without detonation. race gas wont add any power.

the only reason i run a higher octane in my car is to not detonate not because i am making more power with it.
Thats exactly what we are saying.

Add 100 octane and your Z wont ping and therefore wont pull timing (decreasing hp output).
Old 10-16-2006, 08:40 AM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

Can you explain why I put higher octane in my old acura intregra(non boosted) and felt a difference in power?
Old 10-16-2006, 02:49 PM
97supratt

Originally Posted by mario60185
Can you explain why I put higher octane in my old acura intregra(non boosted) and felt a difference in power?
If you used to pump anything but premium, and you suddenly put 100 octane you will feel the difference because the knock sensor won't detect any knock therefore keep timing advanced and not retard any at all.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:26 PM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

actually I always ran premium in that car, 93 octane. Was bored one day and popped in some octane booster, made a noticeable difference in that car.
Thanks for the help 97supra, too damn bad its already winter here in chicago or id be testing this asap. I think next summer im installing my headers, probably a new plenum or spacer, and testing with race gas.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:10 PM
jackie chan

waste your money all you want. but if your car is pinging with stock compression and 93, race gas isnt your solution. na motors, unless they are running crazy compression, do not need race gas to perform at an optimal level. do some research if you really want to know, but the answers i have seen here are a joke and i already know its going to result in an arguement of people not know wtf they are talking about
Old 10-17-2006, 07:45 AM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

waste your money all you want. but if your car is pinging with stock compression and 93, race gas isnt your solution. na motors, unless they are running crazy compression, do not need race gas to perform at an optimal level. do some research if you really want to know, but the answers i have seen here are a joke and i already know its going to result in an arguement of people not know wtf they are talking about

You didnt bother to read the whole thread did you?
Old 10-17-2006, 09:23 AM
97supratt

You have to be kidding. First of all some of us live in California that only has 91 octane, plus most of our premium isn't actual 91 octane. Second of all, stock timing is very advanced at high rpm's which can be useful when used with racegas to prevent pinging therefore resulting in no power loss (adverse gain).

You're telling me all z's that run on 91 or 93 octane are at peak power for stock ecu????? WOW dude you really need to go do your hw, there have been numerous dynos proving race gas doesn't let the ecu retard timing which makes more power.

This isn't a argument, this is a discussion and frankly you are wrong. I have used race gas in turbo vehicles as well as n/a. If your compression is high enough where the ecu is retarding timing in hot weather or high rpm conditions, this means race gas will give you the power you lost plus keep your timing advanced which will create a bit more power.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:54 AM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

Word to your mother.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:55 AM
RebelinRI
Banned

Why does octane get most people confuzzled??? Just because it's 100 or 83 it still has the same bang, if I can use that term. What Supratt is trying to say, and it's perfectly clear from here is the only advantage you get is the ecu won't retard the timing, so you have the potential to make more power. Gas burns like gas burns, it's what the motor does with it, is the key. Hope it makes sense. If you advance, you get more power and more potential to go boom and it you retard, you get less power and safer.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:04 AM
FrickU

Race gas all the way
Old 10-17-2006, 10:25 AM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

Originally Posted by FrickU
Race gas all the way

Have you tried race gas or are you just adding another worthless post?
Old 10-17-2006, 10:51 AM
97supratt

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RebelinRI
Why does octane get most people confuzzled??? Just because it's 100 or 83 it still has the same bang, if I can use that term. What Supratt is trying to say, and it's perfectly clear from here is the only advantage you get is the ecu won't retard the timing, so you have the potential to make more power. Gas burns like gas burns, it's what the motor does with it, is the key. Hope it makes sense. If you advance, you get more power and more potential to go boom and it you retard, you get less power and safer.
Thank you.

So for a ecu that is tuned for 91 or 93, and the octane rating isn't really that high at the pumps. You will have a tendency to knock and ecu will retard timing therefore losing power.

Race gas will prevent the knock so you are running at tip top shape and maybe advance a bit of timing for a small increase in power over optimum power.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:57 PM
BlackTuner

Well race gas will only show gains if your horsepower is octane limited. Honestly NA your horsepower is not octane limited. Judging from what they are doing with the new High Output motors with the dual throttle bodies I would say these cars are air flow limited.

Pump gas and race gas showed no difference on my car except richening my afr and requiring me to run the car leaner and more advance to make the same gas. That is my 2cents.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:19 PM
97supratt

Originally Posted by BlackTuner
Well race gas will only show gains if your horsepower is octane limited. Honestly NA your horsepower is not octane limited. Judging from what they are doing with the new High Output motors with the dual throttle bodies I would say these cars are air flow limited.

Pump gas and race gas showed no difference on my car except richening my afr and requiring me to run the car leaner and more advance to make the same gas. That is my 2cents.
Okay two types of engines run race gas:
1) High boost applications (to prevent knock & detonation)
2) High compression applications (to prevent knock & detonation)

Now, what we have on our hands are high compression applications. Whether some members want to believe it or not, the VQ is a high compression motor obviously because it is n/a.

When modded, the 03-05 motors run a bit lean. If these engines have race gas, the ecu will not pull any timing and it will make more power.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:29 PM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

Originally Posted by BlackTuner

How about telling us the whole story....what car? What mods? What octane? Did you dyno? Ect.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:33 PM
jackie chan

10.3:1 is high compression and calls for race gas....now i have heard it all.

Quick Reply: Race Gas, NA?