Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Question about oil temp sending units

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 08:30 AM
Greg'Z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about oil temp sending units

Does anyone with an aftermarket oil temp gauge happen to know what the cold reading in ohms of the temp sensor is vs. what the normal or operating temp readings would be. Yes, I realize there are different manufacturers and each could have their own design parameters and thus different readings. I ask because I'm working on a project for an oil temp gauge using the OEM 280ZXT/300ZXT oil temp sender. That unit is too large to fit in the oil filter adapter plates without modifying the plate to accept it. The operating temp range of the OEM sender according to FSM is 10~80 ohms. If I knew that the aftermarket senders (which will fit in the oil filter adapter plates) were in a similar range, I might be able to use one of them. Thanks for any and all help.

Greg
Old 10-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

might want to pick a different sending unit - that particular one is notorious (along with the oil pressure sensor) for prematurely failing. It's one part of the older Z's we ditch and go aftermarket with

Why not just use one of the common oil block adapters - they easily accept both aftermarket oil pressure and temperature gauges/sensors
Old 10-16-2006, 04:22 AM
Greg'Z33

My project includes the use of the actual guts of the S130/Z31 turbo oil temp gauge which is why I'm going to be using the OEM sender. You're right though, I'll probably use an oil pan spacer and modify it if necessary.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:05 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

like I said, I'd highly recommend using an aftermarket gauge altogether. Greddy makes a nice 52mm one that is black and lights up amber, and its far more likely to actually work down the road as compared to the old Datsun one.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:34 AM
Greg'Z33

Let me be very specific about what I'm trying to do. I'm going to design a 350Z center gauge cluster to be my interpretation of what an OEM-styled cluster would look like if Nissan offered a 350Z twin turbo from the factory. The OIL gauge is going to become a combo oil pressure/oil temp gauge and the VOLTS gauge is going to become a BOOST gauge just like Nissan did on the S130 & Z31 turbo. Why? Because I'm an OEM kinda guy and I can do it. I do not want A-pillar gauges. It's proving (so far) to be a P.I.T.A. as I have to relocate the electromechanical movement for the OIL gauge lower on the PC board to accomodate the oil temp movement up top. This necessitates relocating some surface mount transistors and resistors. I will have to have custom gauge faces made but they will have and OEM color and overall feel to them. That they may not be as accurate as an aftermarket gauge is of no concern; it would be as accurate as an OEM set-up and for my conservative HP goals, that's fine.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:34 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I understand what you mean - I'm an OE styling type guy too, so I can appreciate the desire.

Nissan did not have an analog boost gauge on the S130 turbo - not sure about on the Z31 or not. The digital dash cars had a "turbo boost" series of LED's - no LED corresponded to an actual value though, so it was useless (ask me how many 280 Turbo's I've had over the years )

But if you're going through all this time, why not simply fit a set (or as many gauges as you want) of 52mm electronic aftermarket gauges right in the factory upper panel - it will certainly have a very OEM feel to it, and it will be far more accurate and reliable than a set of 20 + year old gauges that never worked properly even when they were new. Lots have done this before with Defi D series (not longer made but also a very nice gauge if you can find them used). The Greddy52mm series would also be a great option - not particularly expensive and certainly accurate and reliable - I would forcast oil pressure, oil temp and boost to come in around the mid $500 range, with the sandwhich adapter and would take no more than a few hours total to install.