Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Engine damage pictures.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 12:13 PM
mdracer76
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocks
NNA was of no help, the service manager convinced them to deny it. Its flagged in the computer now. They said it was abuse but thier "offical cause" is the muffler.
WOW.. thats F*kced up.....
Old 10-26-2006, 12:13 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NNA was of no help, the service manager convinced them to deny it. Its flagged in the computer now. They said it was abuse but thier "offical cause" is the muffler.

Look for the thread here about bad dealers and out them there so other know to steer clear.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:17 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bad thing is, this dealer the Z is the 3rd new vehicle i have bought from them, my family has also bought from them and we never had a problem. I found out they used to have a service manager that would warranty everything, they fired him and got a new one and told him to deny all warranty claims. To bad i found out to late. But Jim Spence Nissan needs to be added to that list of horrible dealers that need to burn in a fire.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

I just can't emagine that happening? I'm stuned! I brought my Evo into my service center with a pretty fair amount of mods (to include cams) and they discovered i had spun a bearing and completely warrantied my block AND turbo. They didn't ask any questions and even covered my towing and labor. I think you need a second opinion. That just blows my mind! Exhaust?? Get the F out of here!!
Old 10-26-2006, 12:58 PM
stein

Myself I would fight this!!!!
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is there for just this reason! 6200 miles and their only excuse for denying it is the muffler! The dealer has to legitimately prove that that part (muffler) caused the failure, and in your case I don't see ANY way it could have. As for abuse, what abuse? Who did the oil changes? Do you have receipts or documentation the service was done? Unless they have you on video drag racing, auto crossing or something like that they have no claim for abuse? They have to prove these things! I'd mention the MMWA and getting a lawyer to the NNA people and get them to stand up to their product! If you win they have to pay your lawyer and court costs, I don't see how you could loose unless there is something your not mentioning...
Old 10-26-2006, 01:26 PM
rocks

Lawyer has an upfront cost of 5000$. The car has to be stored as evidence. It can not be repaired and has to be left in the state it was returned to me in, this will take up to one year or longer. I do not have a second car right now. I have talked to sevral attornerys regarding this matter. It is cheaper and easier for me to put in a built engine vs buying a 2nd car and paying a lawyer 5-15k to take nissan to court. Magnusson Moss does not work untill you take them to court, its rediculous how a dealer can just screw you over.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:33 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Lawyer has an upfront cost of 5000$. The car has to be stored as evidence. It can not be repaired and has to be left in the state it was returned to me in, this will take up to one year or longer. I do not have a second car right now. I have talked to sevral attornerys regarding this matter. It is cheaper and easier for me to put in a built engine vs buying a 2nd car and paying a lawyer 5-15k to take nissan to court. Magnusson Moss does not work untill you take them to court, its rediculous how a dealer can just screw you over.

Magnusson-moss act allows the consumer to sue the dealer for legal fees as well.

Stick it to 'em.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

For more info on Magnusson moss act please check the top 100 questions thread.

Here:

Consumer Lawsuits
The Act makes it easier for purchasers to sue for breach of warranty by making breach of warranty a violation of federal law, and by allowing consumers to recover court costs and reasonable attorneys' fees. This means that if you lose a lawsuit for breach of either a written or an implied warranty, you may have to pay the customer's costs for bringing the suit, including lawyer's fees.

Because of the stringent federal jurisdictional requirements under the Act, most Magnuson-Moss lawsuits are brought in state court. However, major cases involving many consumers can be brought in federal court as class action suits under the Act.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:45 PM
rocks

Im not going without my car for 1-2 years while it sits in a field with no engine in it, while i make a new car payment. I have other methods of sticking it back to the dealer, considering i work at a insurance buisness with around 4000 customers I tell everyone that comes in what happend. In hail season i will make them lose a ton of buisness by not reffering customers to them anymore ( they have an authorized body shop to do hail repair ). I will also advertise a website that is a play on thier name with pictures and a story of what happend. I will make them lose buisness.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:49 PM
MIAPLAYA

Im not going without my car for 1-2 years while it sits in a field with no engine in it, while i make a new car payment. I have other methods of sticking it back to the dealer, considering i work at a insurance buisness with around 4000 customers I tell everyone that comes in what happend. In hail season i will make them lose a ton of buisness by not reffering customers to them anymore ( they have an authorized body shop to do hail repair ). I will also advertise a website that is a play on thier name with pictures and a story of what happend. I will make them lose buisness.
Kinda like www.stillensucks.com yes thats a real site.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:09 PM
rocks

Yup kind of like that site, even with a sticker on my car. hmm i may go park it on the street in front of the dealer with that sticker on it, it is public parking.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:38 AM
Brocken

I can understand not wanting or affording to be without a car for that long but you're letting Nissan screw you. Unless there's more to the story they have no justification for denying your warranty claim. You ask them how could you abuse it if there's a rev limiter? And if they say you shouldn't drive to that you say then why is the rev limiter that high?

This is Nissan's tactic(and i'm sure other car companies). They bully you and try to make you doubt yourself. They're doing the same crap to me about oil consumption. They just give you the runaround bs and try to say it's normal or your fault.
Look at your options and see if you qualify for the lemon law. Usually getting an attorney for that you don't have to pay a retainer fee up front. They get paid out at the end. Good lawyers will look at your case and know they'll win and won't charge you a retainer. The ones that ask for thousands up front are probably A. not good lawyers or B. not experienced at this type of case. In either instance you should look for another lawyer.

Even if you think it will be fun to build a new engine you can't let Nissan get away with this stuff! It's not right! They're screwing people because they can and people need to make a stand or it will just get worse.
We're the consumer, we ultimately controll the success or failure of their business.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:43 AM
NA350Z

You're going to rebuild that? ? ?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:41 AM
rocks

Haha no, getting another block.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:44 AM
Q45tech

Something you said [offensive] to the service manager must have really ticked him off to go so far out of his way to punish you.

Even the worst [mean] ones I've ever know would just make no decision and invite you to set up a meeting with Nissan Zone Rep to evaluate whether to deny or not.

When you view combustion chambers in the non failed cylinders it appears to have over 6,000 miles from the level of deposits [amber color], valve seats, other valves in pictures.

Are you sure you didn't mis a shift and overrev?

I bellieve all meetings with service reps and service managers and customers SHOULD BE video taped by dealership to protect themselves.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:48 AM
rocks

What ticked him off was calling NNA to check on the status of my car since they could not make one. Erm the crap on the valves is probably from the piston coming apart, it went into the intake manifold and spread all throughout the engine. The engine was not torn down by nissan at all. The only thing they did was take off the intake manifold.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well isn't your warranty voided now since its torn apart regardless?
Old 10-27-2006, 11:42 AM
rocks

Hm i should say they took the engine and trans out of the car, that is the way the dealer gave it back. The car is in parts. I took the engine to built z motors in the back of a truck. Yes the entire warranty is voided on the car. Everything.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Fleet Z

Rocks...Are you being truthful about what happened to this engine? I don't want to be a smart a$$ but I don't believe the whole story is being told. If the wrist pin snap ring failed, you would see scoring up and down the cylinder wall of the failed cylinder. I'm a certified tech and have worked on everything from hi-perf Chevy small blocks to Detroit Diesel engines and what happened here was a broken rod. Too many revs from a bad downshift or a missed gear caused this problem. When the rod broke, the piston hit the valves causing it to break up in the combustion chamber. Anybody can see the rod was flying around by the damage to the underside of the block. All those nicks in the cylinder wall are a result of the rod free-wheeling in the cylinder.

I would love to see pictures of the piston and rod to confirm my diagnosis.

The reason why Nissan is voiding the warranty is that it appears to be driver abuse not product failure.

Speaking for the industry, some of these service managers are smarter than they look. Good luck and try to keep those revs under 10,000 next time...
Old 10-27-2006, 06:34 PM
rocks

Nissan didnt even take the engine apart, all nissan did was take the intake manifold off and say no on warranty. It is at builtZmotors. Todd is building my engine, he took the pictures. The rods are not broke, like broke in half broke. I will have pictures of them soon. I am not lying about my engine. I have no reason to lie.