Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Engine damage pictures.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 06:51 PM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Question.. What Grade of Fuel were you running?
Old 10-27-2006, 07:11 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

91 octane.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:57 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rocks
91 octane.
Probably wasn't detonation then.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:33 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Magnusson-moss act allows the consumer to sue the dealer for legal fees as well.

Stick it to 'em.
You guys that recommend fighting based on teh MM act obviously haven't had experience with it. I had a potential issue on a previous car of mine. You even mention the MM act, they just laugh at you. Nissan has lawyers on retainer and will bury you in legal papers and what-not.

from the sounds of it, they didn't void based on the muffler, more so the claim of abuse. Either one is BS IMO, but I am not the one involved.

Sometimes you have to pick your battles and if rocks decides to fight this, I doubt his car would be fixed for 6 months or longer so figure that in as well. All that said, I would seriously consider fighting it.

Other than that, forget the big single turbo as lag will own you. Get a decent twin setup, make the same peak power without the lag.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:51 PM
FLY BY Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to bump an old thread but I have a few questions.

First, are you sure that the service manager convinced Nissan to not do the work? Considering dealers get PAID MSRP AND A HEFTY LABOR MARKUP to do warranty work, I sort of doubt it.

Second, what condition was the rest of your car in like the tires, the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, etc? Are you SURE they only took pictures of the intake manifold?.....

Are you SURE you NEVER raced the car? I mean, the manual specifically states that racing will invalidate the warranty.... Even if "that's what the car was built for." Oops, no it wasn't. It just looks like the JGTC car. A little.

What happened with this case? I see that you built a new motor but why didn't you get a lawyer even when you could have had the costs paid for?

Sorry, I am just a little behind. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2007, 09:32 AM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fleet Z
Rocks...Are you being truthful about what happened to this engine? I don't want to be a smart a$$ but I don't believe the whole story is being told. If the wrist pin snap ring failed, you would see scoring up and down the cylinder wall of the failed cylinder. I'm a certified tech and have worked on everything from hi-perf Chevy small blocks to Detroit Diesel engines and what happened here was a broken rod. Too many revs from a bad downshift or a missed gear caused this problem. When the rod broke, the piston hit the valves causing it to break up in the combustion chamber. Anybody can see the rod was flying around by the damage to the underside of the block. All those nicks in the cylinder wall are a result of the rod free-wheeling in the cylinder.

I would love to see pictures of the piston and rod to confirm my diagnosis.

The reason why Nissan is voiding the warranty is that it appears to be driver abuse not product failure.

Speaking for the industry, some of these service managers are smarter than they look. Good luck and try to keep those revs under 10,000 next time...

+1 wrist pins walking out will leave up and down scores in the cylinder. my guess is a rod bolt failure. sometimes hard to tell which was first though, the chicken or the egg when it is schrapnel.
sorry to hear about the prob with the dealer though. think i would have lost it and run through the dealership kickin and screamin then parked the car outfront for a little while with signs on it. a weekend spent picketing with your car on a flatbed trailer in front of the dealer would be classic!
when my car was just a few months old it died (was the famous early crank sensor failures) nissan roadside assistance would not come get the car, so when i towed it to the dealer i parked right in front of the show room and told them to pull it off the trailer and take care of it. needless to say the service guys were literally running around getting it off the trailer and pushed into the shop, lol.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:24 PM
rocks

Rod bolt didnt fail. rods were still attached when the engine was taken apart.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:35 AM
Q45tech

Dealers do get standard hourly rate for warranty, however the technicams and dealer get FEW HOURS for the same job than if customer paid [Nissan volume discount].

Techs hate warranty work unless that is all there is, hard to feed family if you get nothing but warranty for a week........... [how techs are punished].

The usual case is dealerships doing too much under warranty [doing things they shouldn't and trying to get Nissan to pay].

If a dealership gets caught overcharging or just doing too much Nissan puts them on entensive SUPER probation and audits every charge in minute detail.

If this happens the dealerships over reacts and tries to get back in Nissan's graces by trying to save Nissan extra ................. for a while, to get rid of auditors faster so they can overcharge Nissan again.

Service departments have only two sources of revenue: Nissan and customer paid.

The Parts Department is a separate profit center and all dealership uses of parts are at retail.

Everyone should study Dealar 101, to understand how to deal with them and reduce your costs and increase your satisfaction.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:45 AM
MR_X

Talked to my wife abut this, she is a lawyer. She said that there is no way in hell they can cancel your warranty because a muffler or you "abused" the car because it has a muffler, that is stereo typing/ discrimination. She also said that there is a good chance you would have won a law suit againt the dealer and NNA. You could've walked with way more than a repair/replacement of the car because it got personnal (discriminating). But like you said it would have taken a while to get there 1 or 2 years. But she said that you "tampering" with the evidence will make this a hard case to win now.

oh yeah I don't think a wrist pin did that. I wonder if this is a "worst case scenerio' of oil consumption?

Last edited by MR_X; 01-02-2007 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Diesel350

It would probably be cheaper to expose them to the local news media than a lawyer. I bet they would hate to have their crooked dealership exposed to the media.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:51 AM
MR_X

Originally Posted by Diesel350
It would probably be cheaper to expose them to the local news media than a lawyer. I bet they would hate to have their crooked dealership exposed to the media.
Yes media is another powerful tool. But it requires some research from people that got the same treatment from the same dealer.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by MR_X
Yes media is another powerful tool. But it requires some research from people that got the same treatment from the same dealer.
That shouldn't be too hard. I'm sure there is some type of record kept at NNA of how many submitted warranty claims are denied at certain dealerships.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_X
Not always. Anytime I have an issue with a company that doesn't get solved right away, I call the media. Bought a house in a developing neighborhood. Trash was a big problem. They'd dump right by the job shack (close to my house) and it looked horrible. Several calls to the builder over the course of 6 months did nothing. I finally emailed a reporter I see on TV helping ppl out with consumer problems. The next day, I gotta call from the builder...it was the owner of the company telling me he sent someone out there to clean it up that day!

Rocks - you did good man. You weighed your options and went with what works best for you. I doubt any of you guys would wanna wait 1-2 years for your car to run again. I know I wouldn't. Instead he'll hit em where it hurts....the wallet. Don't get mad...get even! Advertising your problem helps too. BBB, media, internet, in front of their business.....anyway you can tell people that they suck. Let us know when you put twins on her.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Q45tech

You are missing the point in that your warranty is SOLELY with Nissan, the dealer has nothing to do with it...........except acting as the eyes and ears of Nissan.

Unless you can prove they reported something that was not true to Nissan.

Your failure to have the vehicle relocated [towed] for a 2nd opinion [another dealer] makes it difficult to prove anything now.

The dealer has a simple legal excuse " Nissan Refused to pay" and they are off the hook [they were never on any hook anyway].

You said, they said ..............did you record it or have witnesses to what transpired at the dealer?

Careful about publically accusing dealer without proof, some of them will sue you right back to protect their name...........they have attorney already on retainer.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:27 PM
rocks

Lol my failure to have it towed... How the fck can it be towed when the drive train is out. I called other dealers they all said the same thing they cant even touch it because of what the dealer i took it too did. And yea i got a warranty denial letter it was because of an aftermarket muffler. Yes i probably could have won but i didnt want to pay for a car i can not drive for 2 years. In order to sue them the car had to be stored as evidence untill the trial date. Thats means it could not be repaired. I have talked to sevral attorneys so if your not a damn lawyer then dont tell me what I did wrong.

I talked to an attorney while the dealer had the car. Yes i have a witness that was with me each time i went to the dealer, he also went to the attorneys with me. I spent probably 600$ in consulatation fees to see what my options were, I talked to 4 diffrent ones.

They pulled the engine and tranny out and took the intake manifold off, that was it. They damn well knew i couldnt take it to another dealer when they did that. No other dealer would touch the car or even look at it. Once NNA denies warranty you have to sue.

I chose to build the car instead, but i will never buy another nissan for the rest of my life.

By the way Jim Spence Nissan in Hobbs New Mexico can suck a fat hard one.

Last edited by rocks; 01-02-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:28 PM
FLY BY Z

rocks, you have carefully avoided answering my questions. could you please? thanks.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:56 PM
dukeduster

I say once we get that turbo on we head on over to Jim Spence and do a Smokey burnout that covers their building while flipping of that Ruben guy that told you all that crap.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:09 PM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

nice, must be the new sandcast style. Just playing, sorry dude.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:50 PM
zero0 2 sixty

Originally Posted by rocks
No mods, except muffler, car has 6200 miles on it (When it happend). Nissan denied warranty due to abuse, its cheaper to build the car than pay a damn attorney. Last time i buy a new car.

This is the factory engine. Built Z Motors is doing the engine build, on a new 9:0.1 compression engine. Thats where the pictures were taken at. The best guess is the wrist pin backed itself out. But the piston did come off of the rod.
same thing happened to my 06 with 7200 miles on it nissan wouldn't warranty my car either due to 'abuse' its a fkin sports car wtf! they y charged me 1800 to rebuild the motor
Old 01-02-2007, 05:03 PM
rocks

Fly by Z i missed your post heh.

First, are you sure that the service manager convinced Nissan to not do the work? Considering dealers get PAID MSRP AND A HEFTY LABOR MARKUP to do warranty work, I sort of doubt it.

The sevice manager had it out for me the whole time. I had to fight with them to pay for the towing even though its stated in the warranty it covers towing from breaking down.

Second, what condition was the rest of your car in like the tires, the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, etc? Are you SURE they only took pictures of the intake manifold?.....

The flywheel and presure plate had a few small hot spots on them but i also had the problem with the clutch sticking to the floor. They still had the factory grooves in them. I also compared the clutch to my JWT clutch disc and it was in about the same condition. The picture of the manifold i posted i took that. The NNA rep told me the service manage took pictures and he also told him i admitted to driving the car over 150mph wich i did not admit. He also told them i admitted to racing and told him i street raced wich i didnt.
This came as a result of me calling NNA and complaining that car had been there for a month and no responce on what they were going to do about it. After i complained they denied the warranty 5 days later. The tires were worn from bad alignment. Back tires were wore from the inside out. Front tire from the outside in. They told me it was from racing on a track. Fking retards.

Are you SURE you NEVER raced the car? I mean, the manual specifically states that racing will invalidate the warranty.... Even if "that's what the car was built for." Oops, no it wasn't. It just looks like the JGTC car. A little.

Yea i raced it some but i know how to drive lol. Everyone races. If you dont you probably lie or have a fear of getting killed. I also short shifted it at 6500 rpms when racing because it gave me the best performance.

What happened with this case? I see that you built a new motor but why didn't you get a lawyer even when you could have had the costs paid for?

The minimum a lawyer wanted upfront was a 6500$ retainer fee. The best lawyer i could find wanted 10,000$ retainer. The retainer does not include court costs. The dealer wanted 14,000$ to fix the car, i told the them exactly " You can go fck yourselves." I decided to get a built motor after spending 2 months and hundreds of dollars talking to lawyers. So yea warrantys are BS.