Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

New clutch and light flywheel problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 05:14 PM
npteske

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New clutch and light flywheel problems

I recently installed a Clutchmasters stage one (FX100) and an ACT Prolight flywheel. From the second I drove it out of the shop the clutch has chattered. And when I say "chatter" I'm NOT talking about noise. I'm talking about the vibration that you get during slow clutch engagment. I'll be stopped at a light. Light turns green so I start to let out the clutch pedal. As soon as I get to the engagment point there is a vibration (aka chatter). Once I let the pedal all the way out and the clutch is fully engaged the vibration stops. Is this normal with the lightened flywheel? I was told to expect drivablilty issues but this chatter is driving me crazy. Just thought I would ask if anybody has this same issue and if it is normal...
Old 11-09-2006, 05:29 PM
supra crazy

Thats is NOT chatter. and no this is not common with a LW flywheel. my friends S4 does that **** but i think he said it was caused because he needed his flywheel resurfaced. but that couldnt be the case with you since yours is mostlikely new. I say bring it back to the shop that installed it and have them check it out.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:13 PM
spf4000

Lightened flywheels have chatter in the lower rpms as there's no dampeners to help absorb the vibrations. It sounds like a cement mixer, and shakes the entire cabin if it's bad enough. But that's different from what you're talking about, which sounds like a problem with the surface of the flywheel (or clutch). I've heard of people having a similar vibration when they burned their clutch and had the clutch material bed itself on the surface of the flywheel, so whenever they were engaging the clutch, they'd feel vibration from the uneven flywheel surface.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like MAYBE u have a bad pressure plate. The guy that does my clutch set-up has a tester that chks clutch action and insures that the unit is releasing/engaging square with the F/W. If u have a bad diaphram leaf or lever , ur P/P will not be square with the F/W
Old 11-09-2006, 06:36 PM
npteske

I'm going to call ClutchMasters tomorrow and see what they say. I feel like the install was legit. The guy who did it has built some pretty hot Z's. I feel like I am going to get the run around from CM. What is resonable to ask them to do about this?
Old 11-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by npteske
I'm going to call ClutchMasters tomorrow and see what they say. I feel like the install was legit. The guy who did it has built some pretty hot Z's. I feel like I am going to get the run around from CM. What is resonable to ask them to do about this?
If everything is as it should be ----I wasnt blaming the installer, I was thinking more defect in P/P. Get ur installer to drive it--Get documentation. If the F/W is square on the crank end and u have a new disc---It sounds like a P/P
Old 11-09-2006, 07:50 PM
npteske

Originally Posted by E***zzzzy
Get ur installer to drive it--Get documentation.
The installer drove it and aknowledged the vibration, but he wasn't sure if it was a clutch problem or an artifact of the light flywheel. He told me to at least drive it through the clutch's break in period (which is over) before I assume something is wrong. I've been getting replys from several forum members with ACT Prolite flywheels (but with different clutches) and they have all said theirs are smooth. Damn, this is going to suck...
Old 11-15-2006, 10:12 AM
trey.hutcheson

I have a CM stage1 as well, and a JWT flywheel. If I get what you're describing, it's not chatter; it's the fact that the clutch is just that much more "grabby" than the stock unit. I've had mine on for 10k miles and it still does it. Not a problem.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:20 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the noise I get from my prolite flywheel sounds more like it is resonating the gears in the tranny. If I give it alot of throttle below 1600 rpms, it'll make the noise. There is no vibration in the car, but it sounds like **** outside the car. It really sounds like something in the tranny is right at its resonant frequency and is makin all the noise.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:46 PM
npteske

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
I have a CM stage1 as well, and a JWT flywheel. If I get what you're describing, it's not chatter; it's the fact that the clutch is just that much more "grabby" than the stock unit. I've had mine on for 10k miles and it still does it. Not a problem.
So am I understanding you correctly that your car does this also? You get a large vibration (shudder) right at the engagement point in the clutch. I've always thought this was bad. It's very annoying to me and does not seem right. Sometimes if I don't get the clutch just right it will shake the whole car.