Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Fastie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Dealer will have in their National Database the history of that Z per it's VIN. If VQ replaced under warranty, it'll disclose that.

Tip: Look at insides of tailpipe tips. If super black and sooty, might be a burner. Take for test drive and I mean a high rev many WOT test drive (wind it out!!) It's a sports car right? After test drive swipe your finger inside tail tips. If oily soot, definitely a major burner, walk away.

Also could request a compression test from dealer and base your decision on that as well.

G/L
Car checked out good - going to my mechanic tomorrow or next day for inspection as well. I loved so much I had to take a chance. I did talk with three different Nissan mechanics as well as posting to here. All three had similar story. It is mostly based on how the vehicle is maintained as well. Two of the three gave standard answers. One though took the time to explain if I have the problem, how to deal with it and he highly recommended not to change the engine if it hasn't been changed already. Car is so nice - may take me awhile to get mad about buying a potential oil burner. Bigger concern I have at this point is the clutch seems to stick when released. it goes up 3/4ths and then it snaps the rest of the way when released. Need figure that one out. Otherwise, so far so good.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:57 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Disagree about how it's maintained or lack of on these being the actual cause of issue. I'm **** about maintenance and OCI's. My 06 burned day one new and never improved = defective out-of-the-box. TSB proves Nissan/Infiniti admits revup VQ has an OC issue. Sure, don't maintain it well and any engine will go South, but that's not the case for many revup owners.

Clutch: most likely the slave cylinder and/or the DOT3 fluid is done and needs changing.

Anyway, good luck and hope your mechanic finds everything else tip top.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Chefscott360

so what about all of us that have an 06' model, way out of factor warrenty, like 89,xxx and having the oil guzzeling problem ?!?! just suppose to suck it up and buy oil every couple of months...or jerk to motor out, compleatly rebuild it and add a SC'r ?!?!
Old 07-24-2011, 02:43 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,600 Likes on 2,056 Posts

That is what happened to me at 61k on motor 2 installed 18k and 14 months prior by Nissan

I am doing a huge NA build that has been almost as frustrating as being screwed without lube by Nissan.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Wu-Watt

^What kind of issues you having with the build?
Old 07-24-2011, 03:15 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Stalled right now.

https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/5...-na-build.html

That is it's thread.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:42 AM
TheSyn3rgist

Has anyone gotten this covered outside of the warranty? I have 52,000 miles and I just determined that I'm losing quite a bit of oil between changes. I asked the dealer to check it during oil changes (I have a lifetime oil plan), but they said they couldn't because they just drain it into a large container. I pulled out a quart last night after 2,500 miles of driving... I figured it out after I had an audible tick at 2K to 3K RPMs and my oil light went on yesterday. The oil looked like it was completely burnt
Old 08-19-2011, 08:45 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

My motor/car were 6k/months out of the 12k/12 month motor warranty (second motor) and they told me to pound sand. (Reason I'll never own another Nissan)

Answer is no if you don't ask. Get the dealer to confirm the OC and if they say no escalate to Nissan USA corp.

Good luck.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Wu-Watt

Originally Posted by TheSyn3rgist
Has anyone gotten this covered outside of the warranty? I have 52,000 miles and I just determined that I'm losing quite a bit of oil between changes. I asked the dealer to check it during oil changes (I have a lifetime oil plan), but they said they couldn't because they just drain it into a large container. I pulled out a quart last night after 2,500 miles of driving... I figured it out after I had an audible tick at 2K to 3K RPMs and my oil light went on yesterday. The oil looked like it was completely burnt
Ouch... Your sol man... Engine needs a entire rebuild... And you cant pick up a junk yard motor cuz how the f.uck are you going to trust that right? Haha

GHEY!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 04:51 AM
cmcurran5

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

so after i switched nissan service centers i finally got a guy that believes me. the first place in north attleboro (fireside nissan) said that its not possible to lose that much oil between changes without a leak. he made it seem like i was blaming him for my car eating oil. so yesterday i took it to a new one (mastria nissan) and they did a chance, messured where the oil was, and i have to go back when i get to 500 miles on that change. i think i made some progress
Old 08-27-2011, 05:16 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Partial revenge was mine yesterday. A woman I met asked me how I liked my car, she is thinking of getting a 2011 370.

I said I love the car, hate Nissan and will never own another. I told her my story of 2 engines and engine 2 having the same issue 6k miles & 6 months out of the too small warranty and that I escalated it as high as possible but Nissan corp said too bad so sad.

I told her the 370's motor is different and I don't think it has this issue but Nissan is putting new motors in cars knowing they will fail and that is just wrong.

I also said I told them I'd tell anyone that would listen (as I was doing) and she said I'll look elsewhere for my next car!

It feels good to kill a sale for them!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:00 AM
06CPV35

^ Good story. And btw...there is a TSB for the VQ37VHR for OC on the G37's, most likely the 370's too.

My replacement is holding up so far, ~.75-1qt/5K miles with a lot of spoon feeding, but it's life will be short no matter what b/c of high nickel wear from the get go. When my G dies, I too will not invest in new Infiniti/Nissan again unless I go real old school when they made quality engines...that last...
Old 08-27-2011, 07:02 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

I did not know that. How the hell can they keep making disposable engines?

I will add that to my list when I kill their next sale!

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Fastie

Default Just my 2 cents

e30 - sorry to hear your story - keep bugging NISSAN and get them to make it right. I am a new NISSAN owner (used 2005 - but has rev-up engine since it is 35TH anniversary model) - reviewed the car and just don't know yet if I am also going to have this issue - clutch busted on the way home from the dealer - worked great on the test drive three days earlier - I will never buy a car again unless I test drive it the moment I buy it. I think dealer played the game of let's make a buck on repairs after he buys it. I will never buy a car from them again! But, as far as NISSAN goes - I love the cars. In my experience since my first 1994 Nissan SE-R - it is all about maintenance and how you treat the car as well. I think in this case - NISSAN should get you a new motor. If I have the same problem as you I will still fight it even if I did buy it used. I will use all the leverage I can including my affiliations with SCCA, etc. NISSAN wants happy customers - but some dealers are the issue more than NISSAN is. I found a great dealer in MD and plan on working with them on the issues on the engine if or when this happens. Best of luck, but don't hate NISSAN too much - just find another dealer.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:53 PM
cmcurran5

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

so i finally got to 500 miles. brought it in and they did some tests again. after it was all said and done they said i lost 12oz in the last 500 miles. i looked at the guy and said thats not normal and he replied "no that seems about right" thats 3 qts ever 4000 miles! thats not right. so now they want to do it again! 2 hours later i was out of there and now have to go another 500 miles and see where we stand.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:09 AM
MikeBit

I've put 4k miles on my new short block after getting it replaced, 4k miles in 3 months (will put many more miles soon in less time). It's been doing well.... less than half a quart per 3k miles which is very very good. I hope I don't get rocked like e30cabrio did..... I'm worried that as soon as the warranty (which I agree should be far longer than 12k/12months on a freakin SHORT BLOCK OVERHAUL) expires, the car will burn oil soon afterward. Dammit...
Old 09-13-2011, 04:41 AM
sr240sxt

Hey guys,

I just bought an 06 MT and didn't know about this oil consumption issue. I've read a lot about it and am pretty upset like the rest of you. The car only has 53k miles but I believe it's past the 5 year mark for the warranty, so I guess I'm stuck. It probably has been mentioned before but my question is even if we accept the car burns oil (my wrx did) between changes, does it actually hurt the engine or damage it over time significantly? I don't mind putting in 2 qts or so between changes if that's what it takes, but am more concerned about the long term reliability etc.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Wu-Watt

I'm in this boat with you, and I'm doubting long term reliability at all... We'll see!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:16 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sr240sxt
Hey guys,

I just bought an 06 MT and didn't know about this oil consumption issue. I've read a lot about it and am pretty upset like the rest of you. The car only has 53k miles but I believe it's past the 5 year mark for the warranty, so I guess I'm stuck. It probably has been mentioned before but my question is even if we accept the car burns oil (my wrx did) between changes, does it actually hurt the engine or damage it over time significantly? I don't mind putting in 2 qts or so between changes if that's what it takes, but am more concerned about the long term reliability etc.
I actually had a down payment (private party) on an 06 with 15K MI and the deal was for $17000! I was so convinced it would sell before I got there (350 Mi away), that I Pay Pal'd $200 to hold until I got there. I then researched here and found out about this oil issue and promptly cancelled the deal, forfeiting the deposit. I wanted to able to sleep at night.
I wound up getting a great deal on an 08 with 37K mi instead.

If I were you, I'd just watch the oil. Even if you add a Qt every 2K mi...it's not the end of the world. The car should hold up fine..I would think.

Last edited by ronn1; 09-13-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:55 AM
dmemenza

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
^ Good story. And btw...there is a TSB for the VQ37VHR for OC on the G37's, most likely the 370's too.

My replacement is holding up so far, ~.75-1qt/5K miles with a lot of spoon feeding, but it's life will be short no matter what b/c of high nickel wear from the get go. When my G dies, I too will not invest in new Infiniti/Nissan again unless I go real old school when they made quality engines...that last...
Wow! That is amazing that even the VQ37VHR also has oil consumption problems. I agree with e30, how can they keep doing this to consumers, without any reprimand? They should definitely be held accountable for all of this cr@p! I do worry about my motor in my G and always ask the Nissan dealer when getting oil changes, how much was I low in oil (1 qt is the worst so far). This is certainly a reason that I would be hesitant on buying another Nissan product. I'm wondering if the GTR has any oil consumption issues, at this point.....makes you start wondering, if the great Godzilla is in the same boat as our VQ motors, ya know. (I'm a big fan and adorer of the GTR, by the way)

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion