Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 05:55 PM
bofa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbasal
I was just wondering if they did anyting further. If they were just going off the BBB documents, then they should not have wasted your time in having you bring it in, especially considering they do not know the fix.

For me, I Express Mailed my package back last Wednesday, but the USPS shows that it has not been delivered

I tried to call Rhonda, but it was after business hours. I am going to call tomorrow morning to see if she has received it. Never again will I use USPS for overnight deliveries.
No I think they were just buying themselves some time and making me go through all of the steps. I can see why others get discouraged.

I sent mine DHL (not by choice.. my admin sent it that way.. but it got there). I usually only trust FedEx with overnight packages. Everything else is UPS or USPS. You may want to send another copy just in case.

I left a message for Rhonda today. They have horible hours to be working with hard-working consumers... They close at 4:30. I tried calling at 4:25 and got her voicemail so I left a message. She's pretty good about calling you back the next day though.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:59 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by bofa
No I think they were just buying themselves some time and making me go through all of the steps. I can see why others get discouraged.

I sent mine DHL (not by choice.. my admin sent it that way.. but it got there). I usually only trust FedEx with overnight packages. Everything else is UPS or USPS. You may want to send another copy just in case.

I left a message for Rhonda today. They have horible hours to be working with hard-working consumers... They close at 4:30. I tried calling at 4:25 and got her voicemail so I left a message. She's pretty good about calling you back the next day though.
That is my opinion of what they are doing too. I should have had my admin do it too, but I like to do things like that myself to make sure they get done .

The tracking says it made it to the Post Office in Arlington, but no further tracking. If she does not have it, I will resend it.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:30 PM
davids
F U StuLax18

I'm following your progress closely guys. I am more concerned about getting ti documented prior to the 1-year mark on my purchase. I have a feeling I will be in the same spot as you within a month or so.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:40 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by davids
I'm following your progress closely guys. I am more concerned about getting ti documented prior to the 1-year mark on my purchase. I have a feeling I will be in the same spot as you within a month or so.
My biggest concern is not that Nissan won't resolve it, but that the fix will reduce performance. Certainly they will not fix it in the way it should be fixed if it truly is as I believe, an overall engine design defect.

It looks like in New York you have 2 years or 18,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:55 PM
bofa

My worry is that it will reduce performance and/or be an incomplete fix dragging this issue out even further for everyone. I guess the good news for me is that because I'm beyond the final repair attempt we'll be coming to terms pretty soon one way or another.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:10 PM
aren21

I know what you guys mean, if its a software fix and they have to detune it back to the 287hp, or if there is any power decrease, I will be really upset. IF that happens.. is that considered false advertising or what??
Old 04-10-2007, 04:17 AM
antennahead

Originally Posted by aren21
I know what you guys mean, if its a software fix and they have to detune it back to the 287hp, or if there is any power decrease, I will be really upset. IF that happens.. is that considered false advertising or what??
This is one of the reasons I believe they are dragging their feet, this, or possibly the "re-program" doesn't pass EPA emissions standards. I could handle the detune, if that was it, if the torque returned to former levels. At this point, I just want to be able to enjoy the car without worry. If the reason they are so slow with the fix is because they hope by dragging their feet long enough the "expense" will be less, then I hope they get sued and loose their shirt. A company has to stand behind their product. I can't believe as big as they are that their engineers can't figure this out already.

John
Old 04-10-2007, 06:25 AM
Bar1

I have a real problem with my oil. 3 qts x 3k miles. the dealer said to come back every 1k miles to check it out. I under stand this is a real problem with many Z owners. Nissian NA says its normal for a car to burn this much oil. My 911 never did! What can be done to fix thix problem.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:53 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by Bar1
I have a real problem with my oil. 3 qts x 3k miles. the dealer said to come back every 1k miles to check it out. I under stand this is a real problem with many Z owners. Nissian NA says its normal for a car to burn this much oil. My 911 never did! What can be done to fix thix problem.
It's not normal.

I would go through the consumption tests so that you have three documented attempts. After that, file a lemon law complaint through the BBB Auto Line.

Nissan is just full of crap! 3 is terrible. The car should not consume 1 qt in that mileage.

Nissan has oil consumption issues across the board with their engines. This one just seems to be the worst.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:08 AM
bofa

Not sure how this relates but when Mazda released the RX-8 they had to restate the HP numbers a few months later and they ended up offering a buyback to all customers that had purchased before the restatement. So I have a feeling if the fix did reduce performace Nissan would be facing the same. That would be anther good reason to be pushing this off...
Old 04-10-2007, 07:09 AM
bofa

Originally Posted by dbasal
It's not normal.

I would go through the consumption tests so that you have three documented attempts. After that, file a lemon law complaint through the BBB Auto Line.

Nissan is just full of crap! 3 is terrible. The car should not consume 1 qt in that mileage.

Nissan has oil consumption issues across the board with their engines. This one just seems to be the worst.
+1,000,000 on every point.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:17 AM
watson22

I've just pased 3k miles on my 06. I went on a 2300 mile trip last week. when I got to my destination I noticed my oil was a little low, so I added about 1/2 qt. when I got ready to return home (about 800 miles after the intial check). I noticed I was a little low again and added the other half qt. then drove avout 700 miles home. have not checked it since, but I assume it may have used a little more. The car only has a little over 3k miles on it and it's the orginal oil. so I'm not sure if this is ok for the "break in" period or if I may have a problem firther down the road as many of you are having.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:24 AM
bofa

How low was a little low?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:43 AM
watson22

How low was a little low?
about half a qt.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:18 AM
evimero350

Do you guys think I should even start this problem with the dealership if I have a greddy tt kit on the car?
Old 04-10-2007, 08:23 AM
bofa

Originally Posted by watson22
about half a qt.
How did you know it was half a quart? Did you drain the oil from the car and measure it? Did you estimate by the dipstick? If you used the dipstick... how low was the level on the dipstick?
Old 04-10-2007, 08:24 AM
bofa

Originally Posted by evimero350
Do you guys think I should even start this problem with the dealership if I have a greddy tt kit on the car?
May not hurt to try but they will probably try to weasel out of it.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:43 AM
watson22

How did you know it was half a quart? Did you drain the oil from the car and measure it? Did you estimate by the dipstick? If you used the dipstick... how low was the level on the dipstick?
I just estimated by the level on the dipstick then added some and checked again later. it was probably a little less that half a qt. I actually added. I don't remember the distance from the top of the marker on the stick. I will have to try and gage it next time. i will look again this evening since I put about another 700mi or so since I last added and see what the level is now. as i recall though I didn't check it again after I added the rest of the qt (second time I "topped off"). I just added the rest of the qt. because it looked like it was at about the same place as the first time. Maybe I was lower that I thought. I guess if I knew how much oil was in there when the stick is at the bottom of the hash marks then assume it's 5qts. at the top of the hash marks I could estimate it more exact. does anyone know the answer to this?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Theatrix
Professional

Its been a while since I have posted. But I have had some interesting conversations with Nissan of late that I have promised them to convey to you.

First of all, my replacement motor is consuming the same amount of oil as my original motor. Almost exactly the same amount. That is 2 qts every 750 miles or so. Makes you think, doesn't it? Is it engine or engine management?

But in any event, I phoned Nissan Consumer Affairs and asked for the VP of consumer affairs. After three days, he called me back and was very fourthcoming with information.

First of all, Nissan Corp needed so many documented cases before they would acknowledge a car wide, engine wide problem. He said they had reached a point where they DO accept that a problem exists. Furthermore, they were deciding whether to send out a letter to all rev up owners world wide to notify them of a problem. But you have to also understand thay they are in the midst of damage control here. Nissan has elevated this to a priority status and it is the hands of their engineers to solve with some urgency. Until engineering has figured this out, they will not disscuss the problem even within their own organization until they have answers and a solution.

Once this happens, Nissan will issue a recall and service bulliten on what they will do.

I will tell you that my gut, at the time of the conversation, was that this individual was sincere, atleast with the information that he was aware of. But he is middle management, and this is on a need to know status until its resolved. Any resolution discussed at this point would be pure speculation.

Its been mentioned that a fix is fourthcoming by June and that may be very accurate. I for one continue to document my consumption by calling the dealer with my top off information and having consumer affairs update my file number with them.

At the very least, we who have been diligent in applying pressure should hopefully see a solution in the near future.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:29 AM
davids
F U StuLax18

That is encouraging news (dare I call it good?) Theatrix, thank you.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion