Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:42 AM
jjwalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A HR motor replacement would be nice.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:01 AM
bofa

Thx for the update Theatrix but it's the same ol' story and the same info I got from the NNA tech. Bottom line.. there is an issue... no fix yet... maybe June. Sounds like he filled in a little extra fluff.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:12 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by evimero350
Do you guys think I should even start this problem with the dealership if I have a greddy tt kit on the car?
Actually, I think you may have lost your chance on this one. With TT, I would certainly expect oil to be burned.

I also assume you have a built engine with that kit. Either way, Nissan could say that the TT is causing the internals to wear at a faster rate than they normally would and that is why you are having the problem.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:17 AM
dbasal

OK. I seemed to have missed a step in my process. For some reason, I thought I was to file a Lemon Law Complaint BEFORE sending in my "Defect Notification" to Nissan to give them the file chance to repair. That being said, here is the order I would have done things:

1) Document three cases of same problem
2a) File "Motor Vehicle Defect Notification" with Nissan (final repair request)
2b) File Lemon Law complaint

For this case, I would have actually done 2a and 2b very close to the same time since we know the final repair attempt is not going to produce anything at this point.

I just wanted to pass along some lessons learned. Sending notification to Nissan today.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:19 AM
bofa

Just spoke to Rhonda at BBB.. here's what Nissan offered.

They again acknowledge that there is an issue and that they do not have a fix for it yet. The think they may have a fix by June or July. They offered to fix my car once they have a fix for it and to provide a rental and to give me their gold coverage plan free of charge.

Needless to say, I'm not accepting the offer and going to arbitration.

1. Why is it now June or July
2. Offering the fix and a rental is nothing extra
3. I'm not waiting around to see if this fix even works or to see if it alters performance.

I'm trying to schedule the date now.

Last edited by bofa; 04-10-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:42 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by bofa
Just spoke to Rhonda at BBB.. here's what Nissan offered.

They again acknowledge that there is an issue and that they do not have a fix for it yet. The think they may have a fix by June or July. They offered to fix my car once they have a fix for it and to provide a rental and to give me their gold coverage plan free of charge.

Needless to say, I'm not accepting the offer and going to arbitration.

1. Why is it now June or July
2. Offering the fix and a rental is nothing extra
3. I'm not waiting around to see if this fix even works or to see if it alters performance.

I'm trying to schedule the date now.
Thanks for the info. They will probably tell me July or Aug. The key thing in this is that the THINK they have a fix. What happens if you go through all this BS and it still consumes.

Too much of a risk in my book. I guess they put us all through this BS because most people probably will not deal with the pain in going through all the steps. Good Luck and keep us informed. It helps to know what lies ahead.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:48 AM
davids
F U StuLax18

It might also be helpful to have state/court case numbers that we can use in future arbitration cases. It would be helpful to be able to cite other cases of the issue.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:41 AM
mistico

Can't belive I read this whole thread but since i have an 06 i had to...

I'm one of the lucky ones without excesive consumption. When I say "without excesive consumption" I mean my car used about 1/2 qt in 3000 miles with two full trackdays in between. I connisder this completely normal.

I'm not sure if driving habits have anything to do with it, but the Z is not my daily driver and the only times I take it out, it gets redlined every chance I get. The car is driven hard all the time and it now has 7300 miles of mostly mountain/canyon driving and a few trackdays.

I'm still using the dealer dino Castrol GTX since I wanted the whole oil thing documented. Next oil change will be with Motul Synthetic and we'll see what happens.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:43 AM
mistico

One more thing, isn't the oil supposed to be between the L and H marks on the dipstick? That's where i keep it at least. Could it be that everyone is over filling the engine up the H mark and then see a slight decrease in oil level because of this?
Old 04-10-2007, 11:43 AM
bofa

I'll post my stuff. I don't know firsthand of anyone else that has gone this far, but if anyone does, post it up!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:45 AM
bofa

Originally Posted by mistico
One more thing, isn't the oil supposed to be between the L and H marks on the dipstick? That's where i keep it at least. Could it be that everyone is over filling the engine up the H mark and then see a slight decrease in oil level because of this?
Most people that have consumption issues are not seeing slight decreases.. mine is almost bone dry in 1500 miles or less.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:56 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by mistico
Every time the oil is filled it should be at the H. Actually, at my last change they actually overfilled by 1/4. I don't think that should cause too many issues, but overfilling excessively is certainly a problem that could cause engine failure later down the road.

At least for me, I can see the oil march right down the dipstick every 500 miles without a problem. If I let it go to 3000 miles, I would be at least 2 quarts down as mine seems to lose more the less it has.

If I actually let it go until the recommended mileage for synthetic, then I would have no oil left.

I have two opinions on this considering the way I drive. That is 90% highway cruising to work and back:

1) My oil should not move off that H between oil changes
2) If I lose a quart of oil between changes, I consider that extreme oil consumption

Again, that is me. I do not go to the track or have any mods.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:02 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by bofa
Most people that have consumption issues are not seeing slight decreases.. mine is almost bone dry in 1500 miles or less.
I still say you have an issue beyond what they are trying to fix now. Nissan has no chance against you in arbitration.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:10 PM
mistico

yes, I agree. I was only talking about the first 1/4- 1/2 quart used. Beyond that it's not normal and i've been following this whole oil consumption deal for a while. I expected my car to use a bit of oil after two trackdays.

bofa, good luck.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:11 PM
bofa

Let's hope they don't.. ya never know who you are going to get in there to make the decisions.. or what kind of day they're having. Worst case scenario... I get an attorney involved.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:25 PM
dal2kvvisp

Default modifications

ive been debating whether i should take my mrev2 and spacer off before i take the car in later this week, any suggestions? i know theyre not going to do anything, i just want documentation that im trying to do something about it
Old 04-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Mid117

Originally Posted by dal2kvvisp
ive been debating whether i should take my mrev2 and spacer off before i take the car in later this week, any suggestions? i know theyre not going to do anything, i just want documentation that im trying to do something about it
I would take off mods before bringing it in. They will try to blame it on that.

How do you guys get accurate readings on the dipstick?? It is the biggest pain in the *** to check.

I have to check my '06 rev-up to see if it's been eating anything.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:01 PM
bofa

Well, the good thing about the spacer and lower plenum is that they are both stealth mods and most wouldn't notice it when just changing the oil and with a quick visual inspection. But, yeah, I'd uninstall if at all possible to avoid any issues.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:37 PM
aren21

I would take it off I were you, just in case. Im calling to make an appoitment for an oil change and to start another consumption test, hopefully tommarow or Friday. I take off the popcharger whenever I take it in just to be safe, it only takes a few mintues.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:00 PM
dal2kvvisp

yeah thats what i figured. i figure the earlier i make a stink about this with my dealership, and the longer i stay on top of it, the sooner ill be able to see some results whenever nissan releases their 'fix'. if not, its time for lemonade.

Last edited by dal2kvvisp; 04-10-2007 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion