Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Reaction to New ACT clutch and Flywheel...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Well than! Time for the ever dyno test! LOL I always dyno test my performance mods after install. When I get ready to do my flywheel/clutch combo keep an eye out for the dyno thread. LOL
Old 12-02-2006, 05:12 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you won't see the change on a dyno.

this is because you will be performing the dyno runs in 4th or 5th gear. In these gears, there is very little mechanical advantage and engine acceleration is relatively slow as compared to the lower gears.

if you were to perform a 1st or 2nd gear dyno, I'm sure you'd see a difference. the lighter flywheel allows to engine to pick up rpms much faster as it has less mass to accelerate and the mechanical advantage of the low gears can let the engine accelerate quickly.

make sense?
Old 12-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

All my dyno runs are in 3rd gear. And I'm sure I won't see "power" gains but the chart should show if it smooths it out or not.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:15 AM
dragon11689

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Test it on the street and you'll see for yourself. You dont need dyno numbers to know that it just got quicker.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:40 AM
smellslikecurry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how long did u wait to break in the clutch
Old 01-04-2007, 01:52 PM
VLeo8181

i was also pissed about the super high engagement point with the stock clutch and i have been comtemplating a clutch/flywheel combo...until yesterday:

JWT Clutch
UR Flywheel
NISMO Steel Clutch Hose

and for kicks

DC Headers

its all being installed today! its gonna be fun to drive...well...after 500-1000 miles of break-in time...
Old 01-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Whats the weight on the JWT setup??
Old 01-05-2007, 04:18 AM
MasterRacer

Originally Posted by azrlee
Well I change my flywheel some time ago (JWT) and to tell you guys the truth i expected a lot more , of course it accelerates faster but maybe I was expecting more of a performance increase, but the 13.2lbs was the way I went because of daily driving, I know the tilton es like 8.0lbs.

Flywheel and clutch combo won't give you extra horsepower.
Which is what some people seem to think here, not saying you do
The flywheel is only freeing up some of the hp or in a sense redirecting power to wheels rather then to some engine compnents like the flywheel. I had a stillen flywheel that wasnt to heavy or to lite, I noticed a diff in accel more high end it was nice
Old 01-05-2007, 04:20 AM
MasterRacer

Originally Posted by QuadCam
you won't see the change on a dyno.

this is because you will be performing the dyno runs in 4th or 5th gear. In these gears, there is very little mechanical advantage and engine acceleration is relatively slow as compared to the lower gears.

if you were to perform a 1st or 2nd gear dyno, I'm sure you'd see a difference. the lighter flywheel allows to engine to pick up rpms much faster as it has less mass to accelerate and the mechanical advantage of the low gears can let the engine accelerate quickly.

make sense?

Perfectly +1 haha still trying to figure out how some peepz looking to
"gain" power.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:46 PM
thefastestz

Im getting the ACT HD R6 solid puck clutch installed monday...along with the prolite flywheel. I weighed the clutch and flywheel together on a bathroom scale and it came out to 29lbs. I will be using my car on the street as well even though its not recomended, but im driving mostly highway when i do and im willing to put up with all its compromises. I take my Z out to play on HPDE/TT and that was my primary concern.

I see everyone has purchased the sprung disc, anyone with the race disk? If not, im the guinea pig.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:22 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how firm is the clutch compared to stock? also what year is your Z since the newer ones are softer? how long is the pedal travel, and where is the engagement point?

sorry for all the questions, and i appreciate the help.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:49 PM
thefastestz

Originally Posted by MasterRacer
Perfectly +1 haha still trying to figure out how some peepz looking to
"gain" power.
Less mass in the drivetrain will give you more power to the wheels.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:52 PM
thefastestz

I've been driving my R6 solid puck ACT clutch and pro-lite flywheel for 2 days....I LOVE it...i let a fellow board member drive it too....he thought he wouldn't like it during everyday use....I myself found it fine...it slips enough once you get used to it...and it grabs QUICK...and lets you get through gears so much faster. I am glad i didn't go witht he Street/strip set-up for me.
For reference:
Along with the install i also added the Nismo SS clutch line.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:26 PM
VLeo8181

Originally Posted by thefastestz
Along with the install i also added the Nismo SS clutch line.
and so did i! good mod!
Old 01-09-2007, 05:32 PM
thefastestz

Originally Posted by hndumafia
how firm is the clutch compared to stock? also what year is your Z since the newer ones are softer? how long is the pedal travel, and where is the engagement point?

sorry for all the questions, and i appreciate the help.
I have an 03. Stock my clutch was hard to press down compared to other clutchs by far...my sister's 99 silverado truck clutch was softer. My engagement point i had adjusted for my old clutch so it was just off the floor (it was maybe a little shy of 1/3 of the way off the floor) . I moved it up slightly...but moved it back down since i can shift so so fast when accerlating with it that low. The engagement point is adjustable though.

I would say with the install it is about 40% softer, which is perfect since i hate clutches that are too soft. Its also well to note i installed a new slave cylinder as well.

And yes the SS clutch line was good, and maybe thats why i have such a grippy clutch that i can get just right on, making it streetable tottally for me. I can't wait to hit up my next event...i can shift so much faster...grab and go as soon you hit it.

Last edited by thefastestz; 01-09-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:46 AM
ekim81

Originally Posted by dragon11689
Hey guys. I just recently installed the sprung street organic clutch disc with heavy duty pressure plate and prolite flywheel. I love the way it revs much more freely and clutch engages very nicely. The only thing that bothers me is the noise that it makes when I drive under 1500 rpm. It sounds like a diesel truck. I dont know if this is normal because both flywheel and clutch are both from ACT. It might not sound as bad from outside the car as it sounds inside but it still is kind of annoying. My girlfriend might object to it also...LOL. I just want to know what everyone's opinion is on this and if its normal by any means. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.
how much did you pay for this combo?
Old 12-13-2007, 07:43 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got the Exedy Stage 1 Clutch Kit, and ACT StreetLite Flywheel. The chatter is there but very minimal. It doesnt bother me a bit. Its actually quiter then the stock if you ask me. My throw out bearing made some pretty bad chatter on my stock setup. I also changed to a SS clutch line.

1 Thing I noticed is you have to re-learn how to take off in first as it grabs so quick there is no negotiating it.

Personally I love this setup and wish I would have done this first when I got my car. The engagement point is close to stock and the pressure of the clutch is just perfect.

What do you guys recommend for taking off in first? Reason I ask is because when I try to slip it I get a lil burn smell (clutch is brand new 5 days old). I found a good point to release just wondering what everyone else is doing. Whether you are revving it more or just launching.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:50 PM
litoflow

Originally Posted by RedBullRR
I just got the Exedy Stage 1 Clutch Kit, and ACT StreetLite Flywheel. The chatter is there but very minimal. It doesnt bother me a bit. Its actually quiter then the stock if you ask me. My throw out bearing made some pretty bad chatter on my stock setup. I also changed to a SS clutch line.

1 Thing I noticed is you have to re-learn how to take off in first as it grabs so quick there is no negotiating it.

Personally I love this setup and wish I would have done this first when I got my car. The engagement point is close to stock and the pressure of the clutch is just perfect.

What do you guys recommend for taking off in first? Reason I ask is because when I try to slip it I get a lil burn smell (clutch is brand new 5 days old). I found a good point to release just wondering what everyone else is doing. Whether you are revving it more or just launching.

im also trying to re-learn how to take off on first, i have the ACT Stage 2 G6 withe the Streetlite flywheel and it chatters till 1700rpms,( not bad compared to others).
I know its been quite sometimes since you guys posted this info and i am glad this post is here, made me go ACT .....
BTW the clutch is phenomenal i just gotta learn the clutch lol ... besides that i definitely feel more power on my z...
Old 10-27-2009, 05:30 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 I heard the streetlite flywheel is a lot quieter compared to the other flywheels that are out.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:22 AM
GuardDrgn86

bumping an old thread with a question.

For those who have driven them for some time, would you rather have the ACT Streetlite or Prolite flywheel? (based on drive ability)

Quick Reply: Reaction to New ACT clutch and Flywheel...