Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Heeeelllllp Flywheel problem need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 11:45 AM
clipso 01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Heeeelllllp Flywheel problem need help

I dropped mm z off at nissan to get my new transmission and while i was at it i was having them install my jwt clutch/flywheel combo. well all the parts are in and the car won't start. They have taken the trans down and reistalled everything to make sure that it was all install corectly and even checked the timing and it still won't start. i am waiting for a response from jwt (out for lunch) and i can't get through to intense who sold me the parts.

Has anyone had this problem or any advice????

Please chime in with any info, i will be searching the forums for answers.

Thank you in advance
Mike
Old 12-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doesn't the flywheel have markings for the clyinder firing sequence? could be that.

how can nissan tech not know how to properly install a transmission.

did they reconnect the battery?
Old 12-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Billhyco

unless its not turning over at all, then why pull everything back to down to check the install? If its not turning over then obvisouly a flywheel issue but if that is the case why in the hell would they check timing?? that doesn't even make sense!!!! That timing isn't exactly adjustable by hand.

need more info...sorry bro
Old 12-01-2006, 11:54 AM
clipso 01

i don't know all of the detail but the service guy said that they have thier "best nissan tech in the state working on it" and that they can get it too crank but not start.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Motormouth
Banned

there is a timing indicator on the flywheel, did yours have the markings? was it used or brand new?
Old 12-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Billhyco

if the car is turning over, the flywheel is doing its job. that makes NO sense to me why they pulled it down again to check it if they lined it up originally. Starter turns the flywheel, flywheel turns the engine. Prolly using the wrong key.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:08 PM
clipso 01

The flwheel was brand new not even opened

i'm not sure why they took it down either, all i know is that i dropped it off wednesday and was supposed to pick it up wednesday night.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Motormouth
Banned

ok, the flywheel does turn over the engine, but it is also linked to the timing of the engine. there is normally a firing order etched into the flywheel. it has to be installed correctly to have proper timing. if it is installed correctly, the starter will still turn it but the engine will not run.

On some engines there will be timing marks on the flywheel and engine block or the manual may tell you to line up the one edge of the flywheel magnet with one of the magneto pole pieces.
The flywheel should be temporarily re-installed without tightening the nut.

Rotate the crankshaft until the timing marks are precisely aligned.

Carefully remove the flywheel without disturbing the crankshaft position.

Last edited by Motormouth; 12-01-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Billhyco

he prolly screwed up and bumped the crank sensor putting it together. w/o it properly functioning, no fire. but should show up on the scan tool. while he is there he can check for the immobilizer code see if the key is screwed up or wrong key.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Motormouth
Banned

If the flywheel had been installed wrong, it would cause the crank sensor reluctor to be out of time

A new flywheel was installed and the engine fired right up. The technician said he could have pressed the reluctor ring back on in the correct position but he didn't want to take a chance. Be aware that there is an index mark on the flywheel that lines up with the top dead center gap in the teeth of the reluctor ring.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by Billhyco
he prolly screwed up and bumped the crank sensor putting it together. w/o it properly functioning, no fire. but should show up on the scan tool. while he is there he can check for the immobilizer code see if the key is screwed up or wrong key.
exactly, I would think a simple diagnostic coudl tell them where the timing was at and if it was the key! idiots. I bet they know they messed it up and didn't want to tell you. they will blame it on the product 10-1
Old 12-01-2006, 01:00 PM
clipso 01

well now that is 5:00pm friday i have the weekend to fihure this out i guess. They asked if i wanted them to take out the jwt parts and install my stock parts, but the only reason i was doing the switch now was to save money on the install.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Motormouth
Banned

wait, what did they do?
Old 12-01-2006, 05:43 PM
thawk408

WOW. I would make them pay to have it trailered over to another dealer that knows what they are doing..... Damn I would absolutely pissed!
Old 12-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Zquicksilver

Originally Posted by Motormouth
If the flywheel had been installed wrong, it would cause the crank sensor reluctor to be out of time

A new flywheel was installed and the engine fired right up. The technician said he could have pressed the reluctor ring back on in the correct position but he didn't want to take a chance. Be aware that there is an index mark on the flywheel that lines up with the top dead center gap in the teeth of the reluctor ring.

I didn't realize the flywheel cutouts were so sensitive...

The crank position sensor reads the small cutouts on this metal ring on the back of the flywheel. To duplicate the ring with suitable precision, Jim Wolf Technology had to resort to a CNC waterjet cutting machine. Even CNC laser cutting caused spark scatter by a few tenths of a degree.

Scroll down for the image...
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr...t_nissan_350z/

Zquicksilver
Old 12-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Motormouth
Banned

or they damaged the actual sensor if a idiot was working on the car. maybe it is expensive and they didn't want to replace it?
Old 12-02-2006, 06:30 PM
alrific

Its been a while since I pulled a Z tranny but I believe there is a stud or marks on the back of the crankshaft used to index it to the flywheel. If the tech wasn't paying attention, or pulled out the stud, or just has an attitude about aftermarket parts he could have easyly gotten the flywheel out of time
w/the crank. W/o a signal from the crank sensor all the engine will do is spin and not fire. Motormouth is spot on about diagnostics. If the ecm is not getting a good signal from the crank sensor i.e.- no signal or a signal that does not match up w/the cam signal it will set a code and POOF turn on the check engine light.

Crank sensors are pretty tough and they only cost $35-40 dealer cost.

I'd say they're just being *****y about installing performance parts, made a mistake and are unmotivated to fix it.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:54 PM
redline350ZZ

Yes there is a nipple that the flywheel will rest on, its like a guide ( it only fits one way, I repeat only fits one way) then you can bolt the flywheel down with the special bolts. Unless you had the wrong flywheel Nissan probably broke something and are trying to get you to pay for it. If you saw a picture of this you would understand completely. Most dealerships don't give a crap about performace parts sadly

Look between the bolts you see the small hole
Old 12-03-2006, 06:14 AM
hippie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed an ACT prolite a few weeks ago and had the same problem. At first the car wouldn't start so I removed the crank pos. sensor and reinstalled it making sure it was seated. (I knew it wasn't damaged bc I unplugged it first thing and set it somewhere safe) The car would now fire, but only in limp mode. After a few starts it threw a CEL.......crank pos. sensor. damn

I knew from past experience (new front hubs and ABS issues) that Nissan sensors are sensitive to distance, ie They don't work too far away....I'm talking .010in will screw it up. So, I measured how deep the flywheel was from the bellhousing and ground down the mounting tab on the crank sensor to get it closer. The car fired right up....all good. I then removed the sensor to check clearance. It had a couple marks on it so I reinstalled it with a .005 spacer. So far no problems.

hope this helps
Old 12-05-2006, 08:56 AM
clipso 01

Update:
So i called nissan monday morning to try and figure things out and i find out that after i talked with my service writer on friday he decided to quit. Now i am stuck with another service writer that has no clue what is going on. I gave her the basics and she said that she would talk to the mechanic and call me back. Well at 4:30pm i call her and ask what she found out. She had not even talked with him yet. I gaver her jim wolfs # and ask her to get in touch with them so that they can get this resolved. Tuesday morning i talk to her again and she says that she finally talked with the mechanic and that he has taken the trans down twice and that it is no longer a warranty job, it is customer pay (6-7) hours already and they still have not talked with jwt yet. I am have no clue what to even do now, this was only supposed to be a one day deal and i was only supposed to have to pay for 1 hour of labor.

Quick Reply: Heeeelllllp Flywheel problem need help