Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Motul Diff oil with Nismo diff review inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 07:18 PM
bleunetizen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds very good to me! i should give it a go next time. i wonder if it became that much smoother, the lock rate might have dropped a bit too
Old 12-11-2006, 07:21 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bleunetizen
sounds very good to me! i should give it a go next time. i wonder if it became that much smoother, the lock rate might have dropped a bit too
My tires say it didn't. I haven't had an issue with it not locking yet. I lit up some pavement Sat night and again today. My back road ends at a stop sign that I turn right at. I dumped it from almost 2500 and lit up the tires really well. Nice even stripe. Can also tell it didn't stop locking as I had to lift off the throttle to get it straight again which has been my experience with the Nismo diff in the past. Once you get the car sliding sideways for a while lifting is the only way I can get the car straight again...
Old 12-11-2006, 07:33 PM
bleunetizen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds good, but i don't think 'two stripes' is a good way to tell the locking rate. even stock lsd can give you the marks and you know how unpredictable pos stock lsd is

as long as the initial torque and lock engagement is predictable, i dont think it will matter so much, and i assume you had no trouble by reading your post..
Old 12-11-2006, 07:37 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by bleunetizen
sounds good, but i don't think 'two stripes' is a good way to tell the locking rate. even stock lsd can give you the marks and you know how unpredictable pos stock lsd is

as long as the initial torque and lock engagement is predictable, i dont think it will matter so much, and i assume you had no trouble by reading your post..
No trouble at all. I don't think the oil would affect the locking rate much anyways. My diff is set for 60% initial lock up and I can't see that it has changed much from driving the car. The transition between locked and not seems to be the part that had the biggest improvement.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:05 AM
ARLETOS 350Z

I also running right now Motul fluids,motor oil 5-40,gearbox and diff.I dont remember virsocities but i must say that they were the most expensive the dealer had,so they must be the first of the firma.

So,my car is N/A running a 100shot of nos withe plenty of tunes,stock lsd limitided diff and right now i have 80000klm with only one transmision running and only one diff.The stocks i mean.I have changed once at 3000klm both fluids and my first clutch(13,97 totaly stock)with oem as nissan recommends and after 10000klm i went with MOTUL for the rest of my life.Next week i will replace them again with motul and also i will add slick50 because of the raped use i do to my Z.I love this car
Old 12-12-2006, 06:22 AM
davidf

So what weight of Motul is recommended for the tranny?
Old 12-12-2006, 06:47 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by davidf
So what weight of Motul is recommended for the tranny?
I think the tranny is supposed to be 75W-90 GL5 or something like that. Its in the owners manual. I know the owners manual recommends 80W-90 at the minimum for the diff.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:52 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zand02max
Mia, is that fluid only for Nismo type LSD's? I have the OEM LSD, just making sure.

Use Motul 90PA in clutch style LSD's such as Nismo, Carbonetics, or Cusco.
Use the Motul Gear oil for an OEM LSD, Quaife, and your 6MT Trans.
Link to our Motul Oils here...broken down by category: http://www.forgedperformance.com/store/home.php?cat=278
Old 12-12-2006, 07:01 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Use Motul 90PA in clutch style LSD's such as Nismo...
http://www.forgedperformance.com/store/home.php?cat=278
DEFINITELY do that...
Old 12-12-2006, 08:52 AM
shushikiary

I used the Gear 300 75w-90 in the tranny and diff (stock VLSD, NOT CLUTCH TYPE, ues the 90pa for clutch type LSD's) The gear 300 is the racing oil, and is a pure ester based synthetic, the Motul gear is a synthetic blend, or so motul site says, but I'm sure it's just as good.. says it's designed for "notchy" transmissions... but I figured I'd go with the full ester based synthetic.

Also it is IMPORTANT that ALL oils that go in the tranny are GL4 approved, so they have lower sulfer in them, so they dont harm yellow metals (like copper, bronze, etc) which nissan uses in it's syncro's. GL4 is a standard that requires lower polutants in the oil, and GL5 allows more polutants, but requires better friction reduction... luckily all the Motul gear oils meet both GL4 AND GL5.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:56 PM
mavtais

MIAPLAYA, how many miles now since the diff oil change? Still no clicking, huh?
Old 12-18-2006, 04:46 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by mavtais
MIAPLAYA, how many miles now since the diff oil change? Still no clicking, huh?
I'll have to doubel check the exact miles but I'm over 500 for sure. NO clicking still.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

I purchased some of this Motul fluid from Sharif thinking what the heck, I hate my NISMO LSD 90% of the time and any improvement would be welcomed. I had just put in some Redline Oil about 300 miles ago, but it did nothing to improve the clucking, popping and overall annoyance of the NISMO LSD. The Motul showed up about an hour before Sharif did at the shop, so we changed the oil and took bets on what if any improvements we would notice...

Well, MIAPLAYA was right the Motul fluid has made a major improvement! It's not exactly like stock, but damn close.

This product is a MUST buy if you have a NISMO LSD!!!
Old 12-18-2006, 06:18 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Philthy
I purchased some of this Motul fluid from Sharif thinking what the heck, I hate my NISMO LSD 90% of the time and any improvement would be welcomed. I had just put in some Redline Oil about 300 miles ago, but it did nothing to improve the clucking, popping and overall annoyance of the NISMO LSD. The Motul showed up about an hour before Sharif did at the shop, so we changed the oil and took bets on what if any improvements we would notice...

Well, MIAPLAYA was right the Motul fluid has made a major improvement! It's not exactly like stock, but damn close.

Glad you had the same experience Philthy...wanna play over/under for how long the oil will last?
Old 12-19-2006, 05:34 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

+1000
As we were refilling the diff....the room was filled with doubt as we refilled with the Motul PA90. The change in behavior was nothing short of breathtaking. Even in cold weather, it was about 90% smooth and stock. I am sure in warmer climates it would be near stock...as MIAPLAYA reported.

I am a first hand believer now!
Old 12-19-2006, 07:41 AM
MIAPLAYA

+1000
As we were refilling the diff....the room was filled with doubt as we refilled with the Motul PA90. The change in behavior was nothing short of breathtaking. Even in cold weather, it was about 90% smooth and stock. I am sure in warmer climates it would be near stock...as MIAPLAYA reported.

I am a first hand believer now!
Wait does this mean you doubted me?
Old 12-19-2006, 07:47 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Wait does this mean you doubted me?
No, but Phillip and Don did....LOL

Phillip's diff, prior to Motul, sounded completely broken and destoryed..haha.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:26 AM
mavtais

Philthy,
Redline quiets mine down for about 700 - 1000 miles. It works nice for a race but breaks down too fast for daily driving. Hopefully your diff was properly broken-in.
BTW, who won the bet?
Old 12-19-2006, 09:40 AM
MIAPLAYA

No, but Phillip and Don did....LOL

Phillip's diff, prior to Motul, sounded completely broken and destoryed..haha.
I was j/k... I'm just glad you guys are getting the same effect I did. Mine sounded pretty broken prior to switching also..
Old 12-28-2006, 09:55 AM
mavtais

Shopping around, this vendor has a super low price advertised: $14.80 for the 2L!!! If there is a vendor here that can beat that, PM me. Ready to buy.
http://www.autosportsupplies.com/mer...egory_Code=MRO

Quick Reply: Motul Diff oil with Nismo diff review inside