Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

UR pulley squealing - should I just switch back to stock?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 05:49 PM
dingobiatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UR pulley squealing - should I just switch back to stock?

I think everyone has heard of the UR pulley belt squeal issue, but my problem is this: my local shop says that the belts become glazed after a few thousand miles, and the squealing isn't a matter of tightening the belts, it just simply happens because the belts have to warm up each time I turn the car on (after it's been sitting in the cold for a while).

I've had some forum members agree with his thoughts, so I believe that is true. I've had the belts retightened twice now and it doesn't do anything.

According to my shop, the only way to solve the issue is either get new belts or switch back to the stock pulley.
The new belts idea sounds alright, but I don't want to spend money buying new belts and have the same problem occur every few thousand miles.

I just don't think the benefits of the UR pulley (which according to my butt dyno is ~1-2 whp hehe) are worth this annoying squealing. Even worse, it's getting colder where I live, and now the squealing can come back over and over while I'm driving..

Thoughts?
Old 12-11-2006, 05:54 PM
stein

With my wife's matrix which has a known belt squeal issue when there is moisture in the air. The fix for it was to use a gatorback belt which eliminated it and believe me it squealed real loud until it was warmed up.

Another option rather than loosing the pulley.

Last edited by stein; 12-11-2006 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:04 PM
jeff0181

mine squels like crazy until it gets warmed up but after a few minutes it goes away.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:36 PM
first350

wonder if you could just coat the pulley with some kind of light spray paint/texture...light enough that it wouldn't effect the balance, but durable enough that it'd stay and provide enough friction that the belts wouldn't squeal.

-Peter
Old 12-11-2006, 07:36 PM
godmans

Originally Posted by first350
wonder if you could just coat the pulley with some kind of light spray paint/texture...light enough that it wouldn't effect the balance, but durable enough that it'd stay and provide enough friction that the belts wouldn't squeal.

-Peter
I have the same issue especially when it is very cold outside and or with moisture.

I dun think coating the belt is feasible, but it is more like the belt material that is causing the problem.

Fortunately, the loud squealing noise goes away once car is warmed up
Old 12-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Scarab440

try belt dressing

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=32

its similar to what first350 was suggesting... i've seen it work.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:57 PM
dingobiatch

I have something similar (belt squeak stopper spray kind of thing), but my guy at the shop said with the type of belts that our Z's use, the belt will just fly off the pulley if you put it on..
Old 12-12-2006, 07:09 AM
first350

Sorry, should have been more clear ~ I was thinking of coating the pulley...seems like the problem is not the belts, but the difference from the OE to UR pulley surafces. (I have the UR pullies, but since I park in a garage, I don't get the noises)

-Peter
Old 12-12-2006, 08:30 AM
JG 350Z

I've got the same pulley and it also only squealed when it was cold and moist outside (usually at night-predawn). It only happened twice, I just tightned it a little more. Haven't had a squeal ever since.

Maybe your belts have slipped a little too much and have gotten glazed. Find out which one is squealing and replace it, they don't cost that much.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tighten the belt.. it takes about 2 minutes of your time. spay stuff is temporary and won't fix the issue.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:55 PM
dingobiatch

It's not tightening, I've gotten it retightened twice, and the guy at the shop said you know when a belt is in spec because you shouldn't be able to twist it around more than half-way, and mine you can't turn more than a quarter of the way around. If anything it's too tight.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:36 AM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only witnessed two issues with squeals - wrong size belt and loose belts.. so you must have wrong size belts.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:02 PM
dingobiatch

I got the recommended Gates Belts, and when I ordered the belts online they said "Recommended for UR Crank Pulley"
Old 12-22-2006, 01:09 PM
hwood

used to have belt squealing in my 300zx. I rubbed bar soap on the pulley side of the belt and the noise never came back.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:05 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cannysage
I've only witnessed two issues with squeals - wrong size belt and loose belts.. so you must have wrong size belts.
Agreed. I've run UR pulleys on several cars I've owned and they don't squeal. You need to size and tighten the belt properly. EVERY pulley will squeal with a loose belt.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:30 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I had the same problem. Once it warmed up it would go away also. I tried the belt dressing as well. It got so loud I finnally did the correct thing and check my belts. They were cracked and chipped. So I ordered a new set of GATES belts from Performance Nissan.
Check your belts, Check for correct tention, and last replace them! No need to replace the whole pulley from a little noise!
Old 12-23-2006, 06:42 AM
JuanFunction2ND
Sponsor
Function:Tuned

tighten the belt and it will stop. i dont know what cars u can twist the belt and still be in spec. i know the Z needs a lot of tension. check both belt it could be the AC belt that is loose. u can do this ur self just push down on the belt with u finger till it barely has any play in it
Old 12-23-2006, 04:24 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I never had an issue with 30K+ on mine NA. +1 on tighten the belt...
Old 12-25-2006, 07:43 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

belt dressing is not going to help things beyond stopping the squeak on that day

if the belt is properly torqued, it will not slip - if its slipping, it will make noise. If you let it continue to slip, even if the noise eventually goes away, the belt becomes glazed. Like any other friction material, once the glazing has taken place, they are basically shot, and new belts are in order.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:01 PM
dingobiatch

I've gotten it retightened twice, like I said.. do you think I waited too long for the retightening and the belt became "glazed" like you say? That would make sense. If thats what happened, I'll get new belts. The ones I had were the Gates belts, should I go with the Nissan ones? And do you guys happen to the part numbers?

Quick Reply: UR pulley squealing - should I just switch back to stock?