Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Questions about Engine Swap and AWD Setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 08:00 AM
chickmagnet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Engine Swap and AWD Setup

What’s up fellas: I have 2 quick questions. I’ve read on the forum that with a few modifications and maybe a different tranny that the Z can be converted into an all wheel drive setup. I’m considering this possibly with a minor suspension upgrade like the tein basic setup should do for my taste. My question is how is this procedure done and what shops having the capabilities to take a RWR to AWD. And what’s a good ballpark figure of the price to successfully complete the project.

Secondly my question: I’m seeking just a mere 330 hp with an all wheel drive setup N/A. I think this in my book will make the Z a whole new animal. I have every bolt-on possible with the exception of new 3.9 gears and cams. I know these numbers can be achieved but every post I've read so far has not produced any pic's of this being done with the current vq. So should I just wait for the VQHR to be released or can these numbers be achieved with the current vq with an all wheel drive setup.

Correct me if I'm wrong I read in a post that I if you get a reflash with shorter gears you can stay in a gear a lot longer I think possibly raising the overall top speed then stock gearing. Someone please explain this concept.

And by the way spare me the just slap on a turbo and be done with it speech. Unless you wanna buy me a turbo, pay the labor cost, and pay for all the future maintance cost then spare Me.!!
Old 12-12-2006, 08:11 AM
chickmagnet

give me a sec i'm searhcing for the link where i read this info
Old 12-12-2006, 08:12 AM
THE TECH

^^HAHA!!

Good luck on being able to convert to AWD. You are looking at a lot of money for little benefit. Get out your checkbook and spread your *** cheeks.

Well since you don't have all the bolt ons out there as you claim, you should take that out of your original post so you don't have people telling you to put on a s/c or turbo.

BTW, you'll spend more on this AWD conversion than on any turbo or s/c kit.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:20 AM
chickmagnet

here it is
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....highlight=VQHR
Old 12-12-2006, 08:29 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chickmagnet
That thread was locked because there was no proof to backup the numbers.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:43 AM
chickmagnet

I know these numbers can be achieved but every post I've read so far has not produced any pic's of this being done with the current VQ!
Duahh I know the popst was closed but it is possible it just cost more to do it n/a. but cost is not the issiue and posting was closed dur to no proof with no pics.

And I personaly went to SGP and they agreed they could make a 300hp n/a car it was just more cost issiue of doing it. and that was like a year and a half ago
Old 12-12-2006, 08:45 AM
chickmagnet

not to mention that i may add a 100 shot of no2.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:51 AM
g356gear

What’s up fellas: I have 2 quick questions. I’ve read on the forum that with a few modifications and maybe a different tranny that the Z can be converted into an all wheel drive setup. I’m considering this possibly with a minor suspension upgrade like the tein basic setup should do for my taste. My question is how is this procedure done and what shops having the capabilities to take a RWR to AWD. And what’s a good ballpark figure of the price to successfully complete the project.
I did a built motor with an engine out of a G35X. I got the motor complete with all the AWD hardware, axles, etc. The set-up is completely different from the lower oil pan ( uses an axle pass through hole for drivers side ), to the tranny, and the mount points for the front transfer case to the block and the different locations of the motor mounts. You would require a complete front sub frame from a g35X to swap into the 350Z. I am sure it could be done with enough time and money but I was shocked at how much extra hardware was attached and associated with the AWD system in the G. Front spindles, hubs, axles, suspension, plus you would be stuck with an automatic tranny.....worth it??? No...IMO.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:01 AM
chickmagnet

Originally Posted by g356gear
plus you would be stuck with an automatic tranny.....worth it??? No...IMO.
well thats a mouth full I didn't consider that. so theres no manual tranny that can support awd. if not thats just not cool at all what so ever!!!
Old 12-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^
Not with our engine at least. If you were to take the time to swap in a EJ20 or something similar (turbo AWD) then maybe but you are talking lots of money.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:11 AM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

There is the Pikes Peak Z(RB 4wd swap), two of them were built i think, just make an offer on one of those.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:13 AM
THE TECH

They made a RB AWD full setup work in an S14, so anything can be done with enough time and money.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:13 AM
002-M-P

Originally Posted by kwiker
There is the Pikes Peak Z(RB 4wd swap), two of them were built i think, just make an offer on one of those.
There are four actually....Zele has two and Top Secret has two
Old 12-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why not just buy better tires. i have A LOT of power and have no trouble getting it down...
Old 12-12-2006, 09:36 AM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

Originally Posted by 002-M-P
There are four actually....Zele has two and Top Secret has two
I need to find someone that can steal one and ship it to me...Randall Raines, can you make a trip to Japan and "boost" a car for me?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:10 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, you might as well just buy a C4S.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:18 AM
SpeedRcr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they built an awd z for the pikes peak challenge a few years back
Old 12-12-2006, 10:39 AM
chickmagnet

Secondly my question: I’m seeking just a mere 330 hp with an all wheel drive setup N/A. I think this in my book will make the Z a whole new animal. I have every bolt-on possible with the exception of new 3.9 gears and cams. I know these numbers can be achieved but every post I've read so far has not produced any pic's of this being done with the current vq. So should I just wait for the VQHR to be released or can these numbers be achieved with the current vq with an all wheel drive setup.

Correct me if I'm wrong I read in a post that I if you get a reflash with shorter gears you can stay in a gear a lot longer I think possibly raising the overall top speed then stock gearing. Someone please explain this concept.
Can someone answer this portion of the question. cause It seems like ive got my answer for the all wheel drive conversion...
Old 12-12-2006, 10:54 AM
chimmike

wait a minute. You're thinking of converting your RWD Z to AWD....

And by the way spare me the just slap on a turbo and be done with it speech. Unless you wanna buy me a turbo, pay the labor cost, and pay for all the future maintance cost then spare Me.!!
but you think a turbo setup will be more expensive?

I think you need to come way back down to earth here, lol! future maintenance costs w/turbo vq<future maintenance costs with custom AWD 350z.........plus custom awd 350z costs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>turbo 350z costs.

plus, you can't throw different gears in the rear diff than those that are in the front diff...............you cannot mix and match diff gears front to back, they MUST be the same!
Old 12-12-2006, 11:25 AM
chickmagnet

I know the turbo setup is cheaper then the conversion to AWD. I just was thinking of going a different route. turbo turns me off cause I have read lots of post where people have problems and engine blows ect.

He is my deal. I love my Z. but so many are the same. Im considering an engine swap to meet hp gains but I really haven't decided on if i should take the HR which im sure is gonna cost just short of life. I also did not know that much about converting form RWD to AWD. I figured it was costly but didnt know it was only possible in AT which is an automatic uh uha no thanks for me.I just want a car thats low 11's. that is a monseter of a N/A engine with a car that has handels like a cat.

Quick Reply: Questions about Engine Swap and AWD Setup