Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

How would my Modded AT perform against a stock 6 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 03:13 PM
Jaegermeister2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roncfpz
So true. Many of the top "supercars" nowadays have auto gearboxes. I just wish Nissan made ours to hold more power but I guess we can say that about 6MT also.
Those auto gearboses are usually manual transmissions with computer controlled hydraulic clutches. Like F1 cars. Even some cheaper cars get those these days, like the M3 or the Mini. But if you've ever driven one of those, you know how unusual it is to drive at regular cruise speeds. Very jerky. Manual cars are preferred because you can control what the car does. Automatic transmissions with "manual mode" are still transmissions with a converter and all the good stuff. You just get the chance to ask the car kindly to shift for you when it feels like it. I've driven many automatics with the manual mode. Including a g35. it's nowhere near a manual transmission. Obviously the automatic is a better choice for drag cars. I personally wouldn't drag race such a fine car.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:18 PM
roncfpz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jaegermeister2k
Those auto gearboses are usually manual transmissions with computer controlled hydraulic clutches. Like F1 cars. Even some cheaper cars get those these days, like the M3 or the Mini. But if you've ever driven one of those, you know how unusual it is to drive at regular cruise speeds. Very jerky. Manual cars are preferred because you can control what the car does. Automatic transmissions with "manual mode" are still transmissions with a converter and all the good stuff. You just get the chance to ask the car kindly to shift for you when it feels like it. I've driven many automatics with the manual mode. Including a g35. it's nowhere near a manual transmission. Obviously the automatic is a better choice for drag cars. I personally wouldn't drag race such a fine car.
I've driven both a Porsche 997 C2S and a TT, both automatic and they were smooth as silk. The 997 tiptronic is faster than the manual. Manuals are preferred by some people and automatics are preferred by others; neither is a statement to ones manhood.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Jaegermeister2k

I've driven both a Porsche 997 C2S and a TT, both automatic and they were smooth as silk. The 997 tiptronic is faster than the manual. Manuals are preferred by some people and automatics are preferred by others; neither is a statement to ones manhood.
I agree. The whole manhood statement is usually said by people who don't even use the manual in the environment it's needed for. They just liek to say the row gears.

The reason they're faster in a straight line is because they eliminate shifts, and an automatic can preload the suspension. There's a reason why F1, Leman cars, and all the other race cars don't use automatics. I've only driven the M3 with the SMG2, and it was jerky because every shift takes roughly .3 seconds. Those are actual measured numbers. So imagine the clutch disengaging, shifting gears, and engaging again, in .3 seconds. That's why it's jerky when you shift at lower RPM. Maybe the porsche just doesn't shift as fast. I know the ones that come, in the f430 i think it was, takes almost twice as much as the SMG2.

As far as the original posters question goes. Unless you race him, you won't know. I think you definitely have the upper hand going from a stop in the automatics.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:59 PM
DanielW
Banned

word
Old 12-18-2006, 06:12 AM
roncfpz

Originally Posted by Jaegermeister2k
I agree. The whole manhood statement is usually said by people who don't even use the manual in the environment it's needed for. They just liek to say the row gears.

The reason they're faster in a straight line is because they eliminate shifts, and an automatic can preload the suspension. There's a reason why F1, Leman cars, and all the other race cars don't use automatics. I've only driven the M3 with the SMG2, and it was jerky because every shift takes roughly .3 seconds. Those are actual measured numbers. So imagine the clutch disengaging, shifting gears, and engaging again, in .3 seconds. That's why it's jerky when you shift at lower RPM. Maybe the porsche just doesn't shift as fast. I know the ones that come, in the f430 i think it was, takes almost twice as much as the SMG2.

As far as the original posters question goes. Unless you race him, you won't know. I think you definitely have the upper hand going from a stop in the automatics.
Good point.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:04 AM
infamous350

I dunno but every auto z ive raced lost really bad like 2 car lenths some of them i raced one with test pipes and spacer and i still put a 1 car on him i got a 2003 6speed touring i also rape stock 06s manual also might be some wat driver related but dont know
Old 12-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Jaegermeister2k

Originally Posted by infamous350
I dunno but every auto z ive raced lost really bad like 2 car lenths some of them i raced one with test pipes and spacer and i still put a 1 car on him i got a 2003 6speed touring i also rape stock 06s manual also might be some wat driver related but dont know
From a roll yeah i don't doubt the 6 speed would take him. The automatics just seem to not have a real sweet point when going from a roll, and their transmissions obviously eat more power. But from a stop i will usually give the automatic the upper hand. Most 6 speed guys just rev up, and spin their tires to hell. Then they claim their car makes too much power. I've beaten a stalled fox body with a heads/cam windsor in it, with my cam/ bolt ons 6 speed camaro from a dig. On the street anything is possible. But please don't street race.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:35 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

Originally Posted by BrianDT3wZ
LOL ..If I decide to take the car to ATCO or Englishtown, I will most definitley post a time slip...
LOL He's too much isn't he Brian!?
Old 12-22-2006, 09:38 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

Originally Posted by jtabraham
you pretty much just have to mash on the pedal
Nope, you still have to get the launch right. And when shifting in manual mode shift at just the right time (there is a slight delay) while not bouncing off the rev limiter.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:45 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

So true. Many of the top "supercars" nowadays have auto gearboxes. I just wish Nissan made ours to hold more power but I guess we can say that about 6MT also.
yeah don't forget Jeremy (Audible Mayhem) super car is AUTO too!!

ps. okay, i'm done posting now. lol
Old 12-26-2006, 06:34 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

[QUOTE=bamyi]Every 6spd owner has too much respect to be racing a AT. Go buy a manual and your pubic hair will grow back.[/QUOT

SOUNDS LIKE YOU WERE BEAT BY A AT TO ME!

Last edited by DROPPEDIT2WCE; 12-28-2006 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianDT3wZ
Interesting since the two fastest Z's on this forum are Auto's ( 1/4 mile times, mph )
Funny how the auto guys suddenly feel their e-d!cks grew when Jeremy ran his 10.40. For the record, you bringing this up shows how much you dont know about cars. A TH400 tranny has NOTHING, not 1 part shared with your tranny, its a race transmission! So, no point in claiming "auto's" are fast if its a drag race tranny. Kinda like saying "my Cavalier is super fast because its Ferrari Red!" For the record, stock auto Z's are weaksauce, and until one passes me, so is any Nissan auto, VB, TQ converter or anything else upgraded as well, as most guys who do those upgrades have upshift/downshift issues anyways.

In a sports car---> 6MT > Auto

\Thread
Old 12-26-2006, 11:42 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

Originally Posted by Alberto
Funny how the auto guys suddenly feel their e-d!cks grew when Jeremy ran his 10.40. For the record, you bringing this up shows how much you dont know about cars. A TH400 tranny has NOTHING, not 1 part shared with your tranny, its a race transmission! So, no point in claiming "auto's" are fast if its a drag race tranny. Kinda like saying "my Cavalier is super fast because its Ferrari Red!" For the record, stock auto Z's are weaksauce, and until one passes me, so is any Nissan auto, VB, TQ converter or anything else upgraded as well, as most guys who do those upgrades have upshift/downshift issues anyways.

In a sports car---> 6MT > Auto

\Thread

Did you suddenly feel your e-d!ick grow with that post? The term "weaksauce" is relative anyway. Just the other day DayBlueZ ran a 13.1 in his NA AUTO....that wasnt NA weaksauce. The auto Z isnt your typical auto car. It blew me away, stock, after test driving it, and I came from a 2700lbs 4 cylinder 240sx w/SR20DET running 13.0 1/4 mi on the stock turbo/stock boost with basic bolt ons. We all have our preferences, to each his own!

Last edited by ZLadie2000; 12-26-2006 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

If you dont like how I express myself dont read my posts, Im no bully, my response was inline with this retarded thread. Yeah weaksauce is relative my car is weaksauce as well
Old 12-26-2006, 11:53 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

Originally Posted by Alberto
If you dont like how I express myself dont read my posts, Im no bully, my response was inline with this retarded thread. Yeah weaksauce is relative my car is weaksauce as well
Retarded thread? I'm surprised you still waste your time posting in retarded auto vs. manual threads.... I'm relatively new, I have an excuse...

On a side note I look forward to seeing your built 6mt run 10s...

Last edited by ZLadie2000; 12-26-2006 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Its retarded but keeps me laughing when at work
Old 12-26-2006, 11:58 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

Yeah it's hard to skip over your posts since they are everywhere ... (burning time till i get off work too)...
Old 12-26-2006, 12:00 PM
tmounk

Auto-stick makes sense, if the automatic could do everything a manual could do, the I'd go with the auto.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:02 PM
booger

I just love reading stupid threads like this . People feel the need to back thier choice of tranny's and put down the other . Both tranny's have good and bad sides . Both tranny's CAN be built to be raced in ANY forum of racing .
To be good with a stick , all that is needed is good timing between the hand and foot . That can be practiced...not all will be as good as some .

GET OVER IT PEOPLE ! lmao !!!!
Old 12-26-2006, 12:10 PM
ZLadie2000
Banned

Originally Posted by booger
I just love reading stupid threads like this . People feel the need to back thier choice of tranny's and put down the other . Both tranny's have good and bad sides . Both tranny's CAN be built to be raced in ANY forum of racing .
To be good with a stick , all that is needed is good timing between the hand and foot . That can be practiced...not all will be as good as some .

GET OVER IT PEOPLE ! lmao !!!!

Quick Reply: How would my Modded AT perform against a stock 6 speed?