Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

How would my Modded AT perform against a stock 6 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 06:26 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you know of two guys that have trouble with thier AT5 ???? How many MT6's guys do you know that have had problems ???? Both tranny's basicly suck for any thing more than street driving .
Ive upgraded my valve body and it shift fast...no waiting . Do you power shift in stop and go traffic ? didnt think so . So most of your shifts in stop and go traffic and in town driving are alot slower than mine .

My choice is mine and yours is yours and niether is better than the other
Old 12-27-2006, 07:41 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
You could never find 1 post where I have self proclaimed myself to be good, my times soeak for themselves, and earlier in this thread to lighten the mood I simply poked fun at myself for having issues, take it as you will.

A 6MT will in fact hold up to drag racing better than a 5AT. You ignorantly use my situation to try to prove a false point. My original and 1st replacement were horrible synchro issues, one being 5th gear grinding (which I never shift fast) and the other tranny got stuck in reverse. Only until recently and my 3rd tranny did I myself destroy 3rd gear powershifting with more than double the stock power.

I know of 2 guys personally with less than 400whp and autos who have issues with downshifting, upshifting, slipping, its a hassle. One o fthese guys even has a VB and it goes good WOT, but downshifting it hesitates, and he isnt happy with it.

Sharif has 650whp (on his dyno)and didnt break his tranny dragging all day I broke mine with 490whp in low boost on my first pass. If you want to use me as a worst case scenario and think all 6MT's suck for dragging go ahead, there are 20+ 400whp guys and 6MT's who drag there cars and don thave issues with the transmission.

And yes I like shifting my car, and I have never been a cry baby about stop and go traffic, that is my view point, my opinion, while you have to pull a stick forward or back and wait 1.5 seconds for a gear shift Im already gone in the gear I want-a manual is a much more direct connection. To each his own.

Well said. Shoulda just said that in the first place!
Old 12-27-2006, 08:10 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by booger
you know of two guys that have trouble with thier AT5 ???? How many MT6's guys do you know that have had problems ???? Both tranny's basicly suck for any thing more than street driving .
Ive upgraded my valve body and it shift fast...no waiting . Do you power shift in stop and go traffic ? didnt think so . So most of your shifts in stop and go traffic and in town driving are alot slower than mine .

My choice is mine and yours is yours and niether is better than the other
Besides the fact that Nissan has given us trannys with synchro issues, people dont have issues (usually) with the 009 version. Almost ALL auto guys with FI and 350+whp have issues with their trannys sliiping, not shifting, etc--->they need upgrades, and even then I know of guys who have issues. This is where the 6MT's shine, because a simple clutch/fw and your good to go in 95% of people's cases. The fact that your aguing whos tranny shifts faster in daily driving tells me your a tool, so I'll stop wasting time with you
Old 12-27-2006, 08:28 AM
booger

Besides the fact that Nissan has given us trannys with synchro issues, people dont have issues (usually) with the 009 version. Almost ALL auto guys with FI and 350+whp have issues with their trannys sliiping, not shifting, etc--->they need upgrades, and even then I know of guys who have issues. This is where the 6MT's shine, because a simple clutch/fw and your good to go in 95% of people's cases. The fact that your aguing whos tranny shifts faster in daily driving tells me your a tool, so I'll stop wasting time with you
You just showed your true colors Alberto . Because you didnt like my statement about you shifting slower in traffic...you decide to revert to name calling Look in the mirror Alberto
Old 12-27-2006, 08:37 AM
booger

Funny how the auto guys suddenly feel their e-d!cks grew when Jeremy ran his 10.40. For the record, you bringing this up shows how much you dont know about cars. A TH400 tranny has NOTHING, not 1 part shared with your tranny, its a race transmission! So, no point in claiming "auto's" are fast if its a drag race tranny. Kinda like saying "my Cavalier is super fast because its Ferrari Red!" For the record, stock auto Z's are weaksauce, and until one passes me, so is any Nissan auto, VB, TQ converter or anything else upgraded as well, as most guys who do those upgrades have upshift/downshift issues anyways.

In a sports car---> 6MT > Auto

\Thread
Your first sentence here also says alot about you to !!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 11:20 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah I like the Z's transmission more than a lot of sports cars I've driven, but I still don't think it feels very good trying to shift it fast. I mean, it can be done and feels better in certain gears than others, but it's still not the greatest shifter in the world. That's just how it goes.

Even vette and viper manual tranny's feel kinda clunky or truck-like

IMO just go with what you're most comfortable with or enjoy the most. I've never liked anyone's elitist attitude about one or the other, especially these days with some modern auto/paddleshift cars are sometimes capable of outperforming manuals. I happen to prefer manuals, but don't think it's worth getting snobby over
Old 12-27-2006, 02:55 PM
DanielW
Banned

will you guys please stop it. I don't want an argument and I'm the boss o' this thread
Old 12-28-2006, 04:03 AM
MasterRacer

Originally Posted by danielwebb
will you guys please stop it. I don't want an argument and I'm the boss o' this thread

So lock it
Old 12-28-2006, 09:16 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

Its retarded but keeps me laughing when at work
+1!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 03:37 PM
DanielW
Banned

I don't want to lock it I just want people to give me input on my question. I personally think I would smoke him but I would like thoughts of others
Old 01-16-2007, 12:50 AM
Vegas350Z

I really think you should quit debating it verbally and do it physically and end it.

. . .personally with your upgrades I think you'll get him no problem. Go take care of business.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:17 AM
Sean_350z

Funny how the auto guys suddenly feel their e-d!cks grew when Jeremy ran his 10.40. For the record, you bringing this up shows how much you dont know about cars. A TH400 tranny has NOTHING, not 1 part shared with your tranny, its a race transmission! <snip>
what?! that particular trans might be built for "race" use but a TH400 is NOT a race trans. You know how many passenger cars and trucks came w/ that trans over the years?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Nismo 350z

Man I wish our Zs had the s2k's 6spd. That thing is buttery smooth.