Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Bummed about Dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 02:39 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bummed about Dyno results

If anyone really cares about knowing how much power they have or are increasing due to mods, please have a baseline dyno done. I have installed CAI and Exhaust but was in too much of a hurry to dyno before installing mods so I have no clue what my base dyno would have been, but I went today and had a dyno done and came out with 240 HP and 238 TQ.

I was assuming I would have been in the high 240's based on the fact that people are getting base dyno's around 240 plus the other Z with me has a base dyno a while back at 237 HP and it dyno'd again today after me with the only addition being a prototype exhaust which includes a y-pipe, straight pipe and muffler and he got 248 HP.

What could be the reason for lower than expected results:
1) These mods don't do ****
2) Maybe the ECU does correct itself as rumoured

The guy I was with is a performance mod guy and he said that we simply need an ECU reprogram, that with the intake and exahust I am getting better response but not getting the full additional horsepower.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-26-2003, 03:12 PM
zPilott

Isnt florida pretty humid? air temp, pressure and humidity will have big impacts on dyno results. Not to mention that dynos vary so much. I would at least try to buddy up with someone in your area that has a stock Z and try to dyno them together. That cant replace the baseline dyno, but it might give you a better idea.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:19 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by zPilott
Isnt florida pretty humid? air temp, pressure and humidity will have big impacts on dyno results. Not to mention that dynos vary so much. I would at least try to buddy up with someone in your area that has a stock Z and try to dyno them together. That cant replace the baseline dyno, but it might give you a better idea.
I agree with results not being apples and apples but the other Z with me got 248 HP with an exhaust mod making my run look like a base dyno almost.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:19 PM
BurnOutz

Default Re: Bummed about Dyno results

Did the other person have a remapped ECU?
Old 03-26-2003, 04:58 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Default Re: Re: Bummed about Dyno results

Originally posted by BurnOutz
Did the other person have a remapped ECU?
They haven't done anything to it as far as ECU or AFC's, how can a remap the ECU? Haven't heard of anyone out with a reprogram yet.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:06 PM
alphaz

Were you both running the same octane of gas ?
Old 03-26-2003, 05:18 PM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Bummed about Dyno results

Originally posted by westpak
If anyone really cares about knowing how much power they have or are increasing due to mods, please have a baseline dyno done. I have installed CAI and Exhaust but was in too much of a hurry to dyno before installing mods so I have no clue what my base dyno would have been, but I went today and had a dyno done and came out with 240 HP and 238 TQ.

I was assuming I would have been in the high 240's based on the fact that people are getting base dyno's around 240 plus the other Z with me has a base dyno a while back at 237 HP and it dyno'd again today after me with the only addition being a prototype exhaust which includes a y-pipe, straight pipe and muffler and he got 248 HP.

What could be the reason for lower than expected results:
1) These mods don't do ****
2) Maybe the ECU does correct itself as rumoured

The guy I was with is a performance mod guy and he said that we simply need an ECU reprogram, that with the intake and exahust I am getting better response but not getting the full additional horsepower.

What do you guys think?
How many runs did you do? Also, what 'mode' or factor were the dyno numbers? Was it SAE, STD, etc.?

May I also ask how many miles are on the car?

The mods must be doing something because other guy dynoed higher than you, and ECU must not be cancelling out any gains, also for the same reason.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:43 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Default Re: Re: Bummed about Dyno results

Originally posted by Daytona
How many runs did you do? Also, what 'mode' or factor were the dyno numbers? Was it SAE, STD, etc.?

May I also ask how many miles are on the car?

The mods must be doing something because other guy dynoed higher than you, and ECU must not be cancelling out any gains, also for the same reason.
We did two runs and both were about the same and I have 6200 miles on it. I am not sure about the parameters you are asking but not too concerned since we both tested at the same place so they should be the same for both.

As for the ECU I agree, just wandering if maybe because I have both the CAI and the exhaust that that may have an effect, I don't know just throwing thoughts out there, anyone else done dyno's with both CAI and exhaust installed other than INJEN since they did it at the same time they installed the items and I have been driving around for a few weeks with both mods on.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:26 PM
Rob Nance

I hate to be Captain Obvious, but didn't you say he had a straight through exhaust? That is the answer right there if so.

Also every engine is going to be different to some degree. Mileage is also an important factor (higher would be better I would guess in most cases), engine temperature of each car at the time. I'm surprised I don't hear this talked about more often also, but did you have your AC on by chance? Did the same guy do the dyno runs at the throttle also?
Old 03-27-2003, 03:42 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by Rob Nance
I hate to be Captain Obvious, but didn't you say he had a straight through exhaust? That is the answer right there if so.

Also every engine is going to be different to some degree. Mileage is also an important factor (higher would be better I would guess in most cases), engine temperature of each car at the time. I'm surprised I don't hear this talked about more often also, but did you have your AC on by chance? Did the same guy do the dyno runs at the throttle also?
Both cars had sat for at least 40 minutes before dyno, same guy did both cars, and a/c was off.

I don;t have straight through pipes but have a bigger aftermarket exhaust and my thought was that maybe with the CAI (the other didn't have CAI just exhaust) and I have been driving for about 3 weeks with everything on, that there is so much the ECU can do, I was told that you could see it was running rich and getting to the point it couldn't do anymore. That is why he said that the ECU reprogram is a musy and at least maybe try out an AFC.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:32 AM
stx

Rim size can also be the difference. As far as the ECU theory is concerned, Victor said it best.