Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Problem with my 5AT...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Oleg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with my 5AT...

This started a few days ago. I was driving at about 45-50 mhp and then pushed the pedal all the way down. THe revs went up, but the tranny did not downshift. I pulled over, turned car off, restarted it, same thing. I've driven the car next day. This does not happen initially, only after the car is driven for a bit.
My car is a 2003 5AT, the only driveline upgrade is the 5AT to 6MT pumpkin swap.

The local Nissan service center was not helpful. They tried to pull off the crap to blame it on the aftermarket wheels. I actually had to threaten their manager with legal action. They did not let me take their tech on a ride to show the problem, did n't let me go with the tech. He went by himself and 3 minutes later came back and "reported no problems".

It was suggested to me that it could be a torque converter issue, I called Protorque (they are local to me) and they told me that my description does not fit a TC problem.

OK, if anyone with a 5AT had this issue, or if anyone with 5AT knowledge has any helpful info, please advise me on this.

Thank you.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:14 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

have you checked your fluid level?
Old 12-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by ZU L8R
have you checked your fluid level?
Tranny fluid?
I did not. Like I said, the dealership simply told me to F. off in a less obscene language.
The car has nearly 26K on it, I'll probably do a tranny fluid change with the next oil change, if you think that this is the case...
Old 12-28-2006, 05:26 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Originally Posted by Oleg
Tranny fluid?
I did not. Like I said, the dealership simply told me to F. off in a less obscene language.
The car has nearly 26K on it, I'll probably do a tranny fluid change with the next oil change, if you think that this is the case...
It's easy to check. Look @ the level and color of the fluid. It's suppose to be red.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Oleg

It's easy to check. Look @ the level and color of the fluid. It's suppose to be red.
How do I look at it though? I have no lift and no clue as to how to open the thing...
Old 12-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Oleg

BTW, what's the manufacturer's recommended tranny fluid change schedule?
Old 12-28-2006, 05:35 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Originally Posted by Oleg
How do I look at it though? I have no lift and no clue as to how to open the thing...
You don't need a lift. The dipstck is in your engine bay. It's in the back of the bay to the left of the rear of the intake manifold. It has a 10mm bolt holding it down. Unbolt it and pull it out and check it just like engine oil.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:36 PM
Oleg

You don't need a lift. The dipstck is in your engine bay. It's in the back of the bay to the left of the rear of the intake manifold. It has a 10mm bolt holding it down. Unbolt it and pull it out and check it just like engine oil.
Thank you! will do this tomorrow!
Old 12-28-2006, 05:39 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oleg

There is a dipstick at the back of the engine right behind the plenum. It requires a 10mm socket to open. MAke sure the engine is at normal operating temp and that you have driven it for a while (not hard though). Then park the car, leave the engine running, go through P-R-N-D and back to P and check the fluid level with the dipstick (wiping it first of course).

Make sure it has a nice red consistency. Smell it also, make sure it doesn't smell burnt. If it discolored and has a darker (or God forbid greyish) coloration, then your clutch packs are toast.

good luck HTH
Old 12-28-2006, 05:46 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Originally Posted by GurgenPB
Oleg

There is a dipstick at the back of the engine right behind the plenum. It requires a 10mm socket to open. MAke sure the engine is at normal operating temp and that you have driven it for a while (not hard though). Then park the car, leave the engine running, go through P-R-N-D and back to P and check the fluid level with the dipstick (wiping it first of course).

Make sure it has a nice red consistency. Smell it also, make sure it doesn't smell burnt. If it discolored and has a darker (or God forbid greyish) coloration, then your clutch packs are toast.

good luck HTH
Yeah I forgot to mention to check it with the engine running under normal temp. I can't do it with the SSV so i forget that's the way it's suppose to be done.