Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Anyone with experience with these clutches?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 05:55 PM
cferraro85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with experience with these clutches?

I bought my 03 Db Z used with about 24k on it. Ive had it for 2 months and the dealer told me that my clutch is beginning to show signs of wear and to start thinking about new ones. I have no plans of going FI, but i will have the usual bolt-ons. I want something a little tougher than stock. This is my daily driver but i would like to be able to take it to the track once every couple of months. I do drive it "spirited" from time to time also. I have looked through numerous threads and narrowed it down to ACT street setup or JWT clutch. I was also looking at the Exedy clutches (I don't know much about them though). I will not be replacing the flywheel if i can help it. For the people who have experience with these clutches please give me some info if you can. Thanks in advance
Old 12-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless u go with the more exotic materials like Iron or Ceramic Puck a Disc is, give or take a little, a Disc. Where u get additional lock up capabilitys is in the Pressure Plate---Its ur call pretty much as far as name brands. Ur going to have to have the FW spun to true it and break the glaze.

Put a pencil to figures----Disc---Matching Pressure Plate----F/W Machine work ----Throw out brg.

Then get a price on a JWT Kit with F/W or whatever ---ACT ? I like JWT

Personally I wouldnt do a clutch job using the stock F/W
Old 12-28-2006, 06:24 PM
MIAPLAYA

I have the ACT street setup and couldn't be happier. The JWT flywheel I have, thats a different story entirely. I can't stand my JWT flywheel. If I could do it again I would have used the ACT Prolite flywheel with my ACT street clutch setup..
Old 12-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
I have the ACT street setup and couldn't be happier. The JWT flywheel I have, thats a different story entirely. I can't stand my JWT flywheel. If I could do it again I would have used the ACT Prolite flywheel with my ACT street clutch setup..
I havent had any personal experience with the ACT but they seem to be catching on ----

Tell me why u like the ACT over the JWT ----
Old 12-28-2006, 06:32 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
I havent had any personal experience with the ACT but they seem to be catching on ----

Tell me why u like the ACT over the JWT ----
I posted a super long write up a while back but to summarize the ACT was quiter, revved quicker, and was more comfortable all around than the JWT. I drove several cars back to back. Stock clutch/flywheel, ACT Street/ACT Prolite, ACT Street/JWT Flywheel, JWT clutch/JWT flywheel one day. The all ACT car was the best all around IMHO.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Eazzy

Im ashamed I didnt Search ---- None the less , interesting. Im going to chk out some Sites and see what I can pick up. Just that I have been and the installs I have done have been real happy with the feel of the JWT, If there is something better---Great !!!
Old 12-28-2006, 06:46 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
Im ashamed I didnt Search ---- None the less , interesting. Im going to chk out some Sites and see what I can pick up. Just that I have been and the installs I have done have been real happy with the feel of the JWT, If there is something better---Great !!!
No harm no foul on the search... I prefer the all ACT setup over the JWT but thats my opinion...
Old 12-28-2006, 06:55 PM
MR_X

Yes ACT is a good clutch to use. I would stay away from Exedy. I think they are way over priced. Another clutch to think about is SPEC. I've used this clutch numerous times on high hp cars and never had any issue with them.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:32 AM
MasterRacer

ACT clutches are good stuff I had have used them before pretty nice feeling on the clutch, you CAN get a flywheel that wont cause chatter like some others. I think the Nismo flywheel avoids that but not sure, the trick is to not get one that uber uber light which sounds kinda dumb but o well!
Old 12-29-2006, 04:00 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterRacer
ACT clutches are good stuff I had have used them before pretty nice feeling on the clutch, you CAN get a flywheel that wont cause chatter like some others. I think the Nismo flywheel avoids that but not sure, the trick is to not get one that uber uber light which sounds kinda dumb but o well!
The NISMO is not noise free, at least on my car. At idle it is noise free, generally the noise is around 2K RPM or so. But after a couple of years you get used to it.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:03 AM
cferraro85

thanks guys for all the input. keep em coming. i had many friends with ACT's in their honda's with great results, but again thats a honda. Ive seen Exedy Stage 1 kits going for considerably cheaper than the ACT kits (like 350 for whole kits). Does anyone have any experience with that clutch?

for example:

Ebay auction for exedy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY...spagenameZWDVW

Ebay auction for ACT:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACT-S...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-29-2006, 07:11 AM
InjectedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

RPS turboclutch is another good brand as well. You will have to buy the CYNR-G flywheel to match it to their pressure plate. They use a 300zx pressure plate and it mates to the 350z flywheel. RPS offers a sport pressure plate and a max pressure plate in sprung full face and six puck. We have been using these clutches for the past ten years in numerous vehicles.

www.turboclutch.com
Old 12-29-2006, 11:20 AM
MR_X

Exedy Stage 1 is almost the same as OEM. I don't know in Nissans' but in Mazdas', their clutches are made by Exedy and they are the same as a Stage 1.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:50 PM
asp17

What setup would be the quieter and smoother..... My stock setup feels a bit rough and chatteryy... How much worste will it get?
Act Street w/ Act Prolight (streetlight/Prolite??)
JWT clutch flywheel
SToCK (which is expensive)

I have never changed a clutch before so am very new to it. Then the 350z drives a bit rough as it is so that makes me even more nervous. MAYBE my car came with an aftermarket setup already and thats y its rough and chattery anyway to find that out. I got my car preowned
Old 12-29-2006, 05:25 PM
cferraro85

i have a 100k warranty too. if i ever have a grinding issue or something in the future, will Nissan be a d*ck and not cover my trans because of the clutch being aftermarket?
Old 12-29-2006, 08:03 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by asp17
What setup would be the quieter and smoother..... My stock setup feels a bit rough and chatteryy... How much worste will it get?
Act Street w/ Act Prolight (streetlight/Prolite??)
JWT clutch flywheel
SToCK (which is expensive)

I have never changed a clutch before so am very new to it. Then the 350z drives a bit rough as it is so that makes me even more nervous. MAYBE my car came with an aftermarket setup already and thats y its rough and chattery anyway to find that out. I got my car preowned
Do a search for my write up on the ACT and the opinions/data I observed on a back to back drive...
Old 12-30-2006, 05:21 AM
asp17

Thanks man
I'll try lookin that up.