Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Newbie Diff Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 10:04 PM
davidz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Diff Question

Sorry to bother you guys with this, but I just want to make sure of this.
I have 06 base and am trying to decide whether I need diff or not.
Reading through previous threads, I get a feeling that the diff would not make much of difference for normal driving. Am I getting this right?
Old 01-02-2007, 08:35 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't squeal the tires, you don't need a diff.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The above statement is retarded please ignore.

Only you can decide if you need a diff. If your going to be racing-not so much drag racing (a stock Z) but auto crossing, road racing or really like to drive hard corners on the street you should def get a diff. The way you will be able to put the power down will be much better than spinning the inside wheel like now. For the $1000 or so to buy one Id do it and install it with the help of some buddies...

In closing-I couldnt imagine a RWD sports car without one...
Old 01-02-2007, 10:25 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Normal driving for you and normal driving for me may not mean the same. I cannot believe that in order to keep the Base price down, Nissan did not include a LSD. There is no performance benefit for a audio system, automatic windows or rear windshield wiper.

There is an advantage to having LSD.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Cannysage

the z is a sports car and should not be without it. It pretty weak what they did with the base model.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:24 AM
35oZephyR

I would get a little more experience behind the wheel of your Base Z before getting a diff.

Aside from cost, I think it was partially a safety issue for Nissan to put an open-diff on their non-TCS/VDC equipped Z's. (hell even Lotus Elises don't have LSD's)The base doesn't have any traction control or VDC, so if you freak out when the diff. let's your tail hang sideways, you will spin out....especially in the rain.

Overall, if your skills are up to it, get an LSD. If not, wait off and spend your money elsewhere like suspension and tires.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Cannysage

I frown upon all base models of any cars, because they totally skimp out on essential parts. Partly it's the consumers fault as they want everything to be as cheap as possible. Base models are a bad idea for the average consumer, imo
Old 01-02-2007, 11:54 AM
one350zfan

Originally Posted by Cannysage
I frown upon all base models of any cars, because they totally skimp out on essential parts. Partly it's the consumers fault as they want everything to be as cheap as possible. Base models are a bad idea for the average consumer, imo
I bought the base for weight reduction then added a used VLSD. Luckily, the original owner upgraded to leather, but it is strange not to have motorized seat in a car that cost me 20G's.

Other than that, I'm not impressed with the upgrades my buddy's touring has that I don't.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:06 PM
one350zfan

Originally Posted by Alberto

Only you can decide if you need a diff. If your going to be racing-not so much drag racing (a stock Z) but auto crossing, road racing or really like to drive hard corners on the street you should def get a diff. The way you will be able to put the power down will be much better than spinning the inside wheel like now. For the $1000 or so to buy one Id do it and install it with the help of some buddies...

I don't know Alberto, I think LSD's are critical for drag racing.

I have a base and with DR's I could only pull 1.9 60's on 125 shot. When I do a burn out one wheel spins which is the only one that heats up. I believe that kills 60' times but on top of that, when I slammed from gear to gear down the 1/4 that one wheel was gripping better and caused the back end to get BAD loose.

I recently picked up a used VLSD pumpkin w/ stub axles for $475 and installed it yesterday. Its been raining so I haven't tried it out but I'm going to the track soon. I'll let people know if I feel a substantial difference.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:08 PM
davidz33

Thanks for your input guys
Well, since my odometer reads only 135 I don't feel like to do anything to the z yet. (my excuse to come up with $1500)
But, I agree that LSD is a must for car like Z.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:23 PM
roast

Originally Posted by davidz33
Sorry to bother you guys with this, but I just want to make sure of this.
I have 06 base and am trying to decide whether I need diff or not.
Reading through previous threads, I get a feeling that the diff would not make much of difference for normal driving. Am I getting this right?
You do need a differential, and you already have one.

The question is whether you want a limited slip differential as opposed to your current open differential.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:37 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by Alberto

LOL; just getting the conversation rolling for the newb.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:39 PM
bullseye

Any street conditions that make for low traction situations would warrant the installation of a lsd or atb, such as rain, mud and snow. This is in addition to the aforementioned high acceleration or fast curve situations.