Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

What the hell... my engine died?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 05:08 AM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dingobiatch
Dropped my car off at the dealership. Apparently my oil is extremely low, and the service guy I talked to said that the pistons could be ****ed cause of low oil (he showed me 'metal flakes' in the oil). I don't get how the hell my oil is low, I got it changed last week when I got it serviced.

It's more likely that if you got your oil changed last week then the place probably didn't put enough back in. I really doubt anyone would get consumption that high.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

If the dealership changed your oil a week prior to failure, and failure was caused by a lack of oil... The dealership just bought you a new engine.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:47 AM
dingobiatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what I'm hoping. I'm just scared about the mods I have in.. especially the lower plenum, spacer, and reflash..
Old 01-09-2007, 11:51 AM
jtabraham

Thats what I'm hoping. I'm just scared about the mods I have in.. especially the lower plenum, spacer, and reflash..

youre lower plenum, spacer and reflash is not what prevented them from putting the correct amount of oil in your car.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:03 PM
slickwilly23

My car has similar symtoms when the clutch was slipping, minus the noises. Put why did you pay for another stock clutch? I got the JWT clutch and flywheel package for less, and chances are it will last longer too.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:26 PM
dingobiatch

Okay, now is time for serious help from you guys.

Just got the call, my engine is blown. I asked why, he doesn't know. He said an inspector is coming to see what happened. He said that if they see that I redlined the car (which I did, I went over redline, I had my rev-limiter upped with my ECU.. he doesn't know that..), I have to pay for the engine. I'm royally ****ed if that happens.

So, educate me, please. What is that aftermarket law where they have to prove my parts caused it? How can I trust anything he says?

Just so you guys know, I have a funny feeling this dealership is going to try to screw me. I said 'what could have caused this', and he goes 'well aftermarket parts are possible'. So I said, 'what aftermarket could have caused anything like a blown engine', and he goes 'your intake'. I said 'why would my intake blow my engine??' and he says 'I don't know'.

I know that my intake wouldn't do anything to my engine, so please, for gods sake, I need some assistance!!! I'm having a melt down..
Old 01-09-2007, 02:34 PM
dingobiatch

Oh, meant to add, he told me my oil was completely fine, and it has nothing to do with that.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Cannysage

don't you have warranty? are they saying your mods voids the warranty? let me know if you get rid of it, I maybe interested in the purchase.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:40 PM
dingobiatch

My car has 15k miles, it is under warranty completely. I'm very scared that they are gonna try and say one of my mods caused it (and after the guy saying it could have been my intake, I know they are just trying to **** me over).

(If this ends up bad, I might be selling my HKS exhaust.. maybe my high-flows..)
Old 01-09-2007, 03:06 PM
jtabraham

I would swap out your Crank Pulley just to be on the safe side. All your other mods aer Exhaust or Breathing related, and have NOTHING to do with the internals of your engine blowing.

There's some great info regarding warranty/aftermarket laws that you should look into...they're meant to protect consumers like yourself.

Don't worry, your mods didn't cause this.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:08 PM
dingobiatch

Too late, my car is already at the dealership.

Be honest with me, could I have blown my engine from taking it to 7300rpm too much? Even if it could, wouldn't it have blown on the spot?
Old 01-09-2007, 03:10 PM
rythex

oh.. you over reved your poor engine and ****ed it up.. lol.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:11 PM
jtabraham

Too late, my car is already at the dealership.

Be honest with me, could I have blown my engine from taking it to 7300rpm too much? Even if it could, wouldn't it have blown on the spot?

Why did you take it that high without having a built engine? You might want to ask the knowledgeble FI guys for some causes
Old 01-09-2007, 03:19 PM
dingobiatch

Because when I got the technosquare ECU, I asked if it's cool to rev to the new revlimit, and everyone said 'yes'. I've read it many times. I mean, if my engine is blown cause of over-revving, I'll just have to suck it up and deal with it.

Seriously though, if it was from over-revving, wouldn't I have known on the spot that I blew the engine? It was a day or two since the last I drove my car hard that I realized my car was screwed..
Old 01-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Cannysage

this usually doesn't happen with rev up, but I guess you ruffed it up purty good. you gonna sell it?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:12 PM
dingobiatch

Depends. They still haven't told me if it's gonna be under warranty. Do I have any defense? Obviously if they tell me its my intake I'll say it couldn't have been. But if they say it's from redlining, should I listen?

Basically, I've heard stories of dealers saying mods blew your engine, when really your engine isn't even blown. I realize it might have been dumb to go to my reflashed ECU's limit, but even so, how can I know for sure if that caused it?

Last edited by dingobiatch; 01-09-2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:37 PM
MR_X

Did you have a witness that was there when they told you that you car was low on oil and that you had metal in the oil? BTW what dealer are you take it to?

Last edited by MR_X; 01-09-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:43 PM
dingobiatch

Santa Barbara Nissan. I do have a friend who was with me when the guy said car was low on oil and had metal in it.. but the guy told me on the phone that they figured out it wasn't to do with the oil.. what are you getting at?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:44 PM
MR_X

This is the way I see it. You have a ECU reflash. Modding the ECU changes how the motor works and it limits to something out of what Nissan specified. I can see how they can void your warranty, but if your motor is jacked because it lacks of oil because some one else fcked up, that's their fult. you just need to prove it now.

Word of advise to every one, dealers are nothing but thieves. Get everything they say in writing, even if it means you have to write it on a piece of naptkin and have them signed and witness.

Last edited by MR_X; 01-09-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:51 PM
thefastestz

They could have messed up with the flywheel install. Maybe torqued the bolts down wrong caused an unbalance in the crankshaft. I'm just trying to throw ideas out. I don't think that going to 7300 will mess it up.

I really doubt it was your fault, i think they screwed up.Unless you can prove it was thier fault with the low oil or something, they have the upper hand because of the ECU reflash. Plus they are using your lack of knowledge against you.

Last edited by thefastestz; 01-09-2007 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply: What the hell... my engine died?