Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

What the hell... my engine died?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 08:51 PM
zman1910

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would seriously pursue this low oil issue. I mean if they told you the oil was low than that alone is reason enough to replace the engine. Its a well known fact that the 06's have an oil consumption problem. You may have done some damage to the engine, but I doubt it would be enough for the negine to fail so soon. I mean there are people on here that have 500whp on their stock blocks and get more miles than you.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:47 PM
rlw222

Ford tarus wagon with a auto the 3.0 liter and you will have a good car.
I'm guessing MOMMY& DADDY wont get you another new 1?
GEE must be GROW UP time
When you grow up and learn the value of a $ then you should but another 1. Might treat it with some respect then.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:03 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My engine in my 2006 blew up at 6k miles with no mods but a rear muffler. Got a warranty denial letter that it was from that. The failure was from a retainer ring coming off of the wrist pin. Yea my warranty was void too.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:07 PM
wesismyhero

stealerships will void for anything. my friends evo 8 blew up at 2500 miles due to a oil pump failure and they tried to void his warranty cause he had different rims and tires on it. said "they threw the motor out of balance" or some b.s.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:53 AM
dingobiatch

Originally Posted by rlw222
Ford tarus wagon with a auto the 3.0 liter and you will have a good car.
I'm guessing MOMMY& DADDY wont get you another new 1?
GEE must be GROW UP time
When you grow up and learn the value of a $ then you should but another 1. Might treat it with some respect then.
Helpful.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:49 AM
h8bumps

I agree that you f'd up, but hindsight is 20/20.

I would read up on the oil consumption issues for the '06's so you know what you're talking about. The dealership changed your oil a week prior to your engine dying, right? They should have some responsibility if lack of oil is a possible cause. They also owe you a specific root cause of your engine dying, and 'aftermarket mods' is not an acceptable answer. What specifically happened to the engine? I would start to document all the facts, and talk to an attorney about your case if you can't get anywhere talking to the dealership and/or Nissan HQ. There is NO WAY I would let the dealership screw me the way they've screwed you. Be persistent.

BTW, no matter how crappy a driver you are, it's damn tough to burn through a clutch and flywheel in 15k miles. Did they offer you the old parts? Too late now, but FYI there's no way you should have paid for that either.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:45 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1st off, You can get a Re-Build for Much Cheaper than that 8K.

Contact some of the local shops and see what they can do, You repair bill may only be 2 or 3K. Sell your mods and that should cover a good portion of that bill. No reason to scrap a brand new car.

2nd, Its not the end of the world. I did the same thing when I was young and learning to drive a stick. I mis-shifted (big time) in to 1st gear at 70mph on the highway once in my Eclipse. The Car Died, but I was able to start it up and keep going. At 80K, the Clutch went out and I fixed it. Granted I bought and had to pay for my mistakes, its the same thing. You should just work and pay for the repairs.

We all do stupid stuff bro, no need to panic. You were given a high end car to learn on and it will be expensive to fix (relativley), but its not un-recoverable. Its just a car, a machine full of parts that can all be replaced. Its no big deal.

Last edited by sq40; 02-19-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:52 AM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealer i took my car too sanded my flywheel and clutch down, sent the pictures into NNA. Once one dealer touches your car and takes it apart for something like this another dealer cant touch it. You can sue and wait up too 2 years or more for it to go to court or you can start by getting yourself a built engine and building the car like i did.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:57 AM
CLETUS

Originally Posted by MR_X
This is the way I see it. You have a ECU reflash. Modding the ECU changes how the motor works and it limits to something out of what Nissan specified. I can see how they can void your warranty, but if your motor is jacked because it lacks of oil because some one else fcked up, that's their fult. you just need to prove it now.

Word of advise to every one, dealers are nothing but thieves. Get everything they say in writing, even if it means you have to write it on a piece of naptkin and have them signed and witness.

this sucks for you, but you have to understand one thing. the dealership has to prove your mods messed up the engine. a reprogrammed ecu and taking the motor over the factory redline is abusing the engine. people say dealerships are theives but they DO NOT understand that it is NISSAN denying warranty claims, not the dealer. when a brand new motor blows up, NISSAN wants to know a lot of info before they will release the motor for a warranty repair. if the dealership just throws a motor in (assuming it is not a restricted part) and NISSAN finds that the motor was overrevved the dealership pays for the motor. the dealership is following protocal and protecting themselves. teh dealership and NNA are not your pit crew, if you overrevved the motor, floated some valves and had some piston/valve interferance, why should NISSAN pay for it????? i would push on the low oil question and ask exactly why the warranty is being void. if they tell you it is because of teh reflash, you are screwed. i have my flame suit on, so all the "dealership should pay my bills/ NISSAN sucks/ blah blah blah" folks can let me have it, if you knew how exactly warranty procedures went you might understand.

some lessons are best learned the hard way. it may have been a combination of the low oil, overrevving and the crank pulley. you need to get as much info as you can from the dealer as to why they are not covering the motor. there is no reason to get out of modding, just understand what exactly the parts you are putting on do, and understand that when you modify how the motor works away from the factory settings, other things need to be built or bad things can happen. the factory rev limiter is there for a reason. ask them if there is damage to the pistons and valves, or scarring on the cylinder walls or bearings. the answer to these questions will tell you if it was low on oil or if teh changed redline is the culprit.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Motero
Banned

lol, you messed it up, not only did you redline it, you overreved to 7300. Thats all the dealer has to state.