Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Im another oil consumption victim

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 04:08 PM
creationv2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im another oil consumption victim

not very long of a story more like a few questions to other ppl with the experience. all right so after my first oil chg i was down a quart. then when i came back for the "test" at 1k they said i was fine. so that was at about 4300 on the odo. then after about 500 i chked the stick and it was fine. 500 later it was below the L when the motor was cold....then on the L after it warmed up for several minnutes or so. so i went to the dealership and this time it was a quart and a half low. so no im in the process of calling nissan and what not to see what i have to do next...

so my question is for the ppl who got new long/short blocks....when the whole process of what nissan thinks the dealership has to do, how long was it after they determined that you needed a new motor?

yah it probably differs for each case...but i just want to know how long, idk if ill get a new block since most of the threads ive read seems to be pretty severe in terms of the dilemma.

thanks
Old 01-19-2007, 04:15 PM
bofa

Your membership card is in the mail.

bofa (knows without laughter he'd go nuts)
Old 01-19-2007, 04:17 PM
bofa

btw... I'm on my third interval for the test...no new engine yet... I smell lemons.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Spoiled Z

wow and u have an 06? damn I havent checked mine lately I'll check tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:24 PM
pooked

i have an '06 as well and now i will check my oil prob weekly to see if i was one of the unlucky ones...
Old 01-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to see so many 06 and rev up owners with the same problem I had and still have.

Makes me laugh at those who were trying to imply I didn't break in my motor correctly.

Hopefully Nissan will pull their heads out and find the probelm with the rev ups and fix it or lawsuits will be flying left and right and not only by me.

Anyway, I did three 1,000 mile consumption tests and a couple of days after the results of the 3rd test were in, the new short block was on it's way.

Of course the new block has NOT fixed the problem, but maybe you will get lucky, though I'm convinced that at least 80% of the rev ups engines are burning more than normal amounts of oil.

If I hadn't moded my car so much after I bought it, I wpuld have forced them to take it back and bought a different car. Oil consumption aside, the car is fun. But how much can you really enjoy a car that has a POS motor?

Egh.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:00 PM
creationv2

they havent made me do anymore tests yet after my first oil change, i just came on my own the second time...kinda funny but also not, i dont usually do regular checks for the oil. its when i go to the bank, therees this steep *** hill and when i get to about the middle my "check oil" light comes on. the first time that happened i was just like damn, my hope was worthless

oh and YES! im getting a membership card!
Old 01-20-2007, 05:18 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad68

Of course the new block has NOT fixed the problem,
Thanks for that importan piece of info.

My '06 is using a quart about every 1200 miles (currently have 9500 on it).

I of course am NOT happy about that, but I definetly do NOT want to go through the hassle and risks of a dealer swap or replacement, and then find out it didn't fix the problem

Any others who have engine replacements or short block replacements, did it fix the problem?

bill

Last edited by bailey bill; 01-20-2007 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:26 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not another oil comsuption thread. why not post to one of the many threads already open on this topic for some insight?
Old 01-20-2007, 05:33 AM
xjongsangx80

I wonder if this problem is for Rev-up engines that made in after the first quarter of '06 time period.
My engine went in dec '05 and I don't have oil consumption problem??
Old 01-20-2007, 05:48 AM
98Ekhatch

Originally Posted by creationv2
not very long of a story more like a few questions to other ppl with the experience. all right so after my first oil chg i was down a quart. then when i came back for the "test" at 1k they said i was fine. so that was at about 4300 on the odo. then after about 500 i chked the stick and it was fine. 500 later it was below the L when the motor was cold....then on the L after it warmed up for several minnutes or so. so i went to the dealership and this time it was a quart and a half low. so no im in the process of calling nissan and what not to see what i have to do next...

so my question is for the ppl who got new long/short blocks....when the whole process of what nissan thinks the dealership has to do, how long was it after they determined that you needed a new motor?

yah it probably differs for each case...but i just want to know how long, idk if ill get a new block since most of the threads ive read seems to be pretty severe in terms of the dilemma.

thanks
hey what ever you do dont settle for a short block...get the long block....i have an 06 to and i have a new long block due to oil consumption....mine was a pretty qiuck process alot faster than what nissan told me...i was really surprised...it would have been faster if they didnt have to ship it from japan.basicaly i figured i had a problem. so i took it in.they did the oil change told me to drive 700 miles and bring it back.at 700 miles it went from the middlie of the dipstick all the way to the l ..i new there was a problem then...so i took it back they checked it ..and they say yea there ius definitly a prob..so first they did a compression test ,3 cylinders were way off..so then they pulled the motor,then pulled the head,what they found wa that they rings didnt seat right..i think faulty rings the cylnder wall were realy scored up....so then they put the new engine on order.this was in late october.they said the engine wouldnt be in till end of november .lucklythe eng came in like 3 weeks early...all in all my car was complete in 3 weeks from start to finish.and once i got my car back i went over there work i only found a couple of probs and loose bolts .....good luck man
Old 01-20-2007, 08:45 AM
bofa

^Lucky bastard.... it might be worth a trip for me to drive to your dealership.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Bevo

Originally Posted by 98Ekhatch
hey what ever you do dont settle for a short block...get the long block....i have an 06 to and i have a new long block due to oil consumption....mine was a pretty qiuck process alot faster than what nissan told me...i was really surprised...it would have been faster if they didnt have to ship it from japan.basicaly i figured i had a problem. so i took it in.they did the oil change told me to drive 700 miles and bring it back.at 700 miles it went from the middlie of the dipstick all the way to the l ..i new there was a problem then...so i took it back they checked it ..and they say yea there ius definitly a prob..so first they did a compression test ,3 cylinders were way off..so then they pulled the motor,then pulled the head,what they found wa that they rings didnt seat right..i think faulty rings the cylnder wall were realy scored up....so then they put the new engine on order.this was in late october.they said the engine wouldnt be in till end of november .lucklythe eng came in like 3 weeks early...all in all my car was complete in 3 weeks from start to finish.and once i got my car back i went over there work i only found a couple of probs and loose bolts .....good luck man
98Ekhatch, just wondering which dealership did you go to? and did you get a free loaner car while your car was in shop?

Thanks
Old 01-20-2007, 08:53 AM
zpwnzu

Just had my long block replaced under warrantee at 9300 miles. Took 3 months and a lot of trying/fighting on the dealerships part to get corporate to give me the new engine. As of right now, only 100 miles on the new engine, but all seems ok due to the fact that there is no more pinging. Nissan USA requires 3 1000 mile oil consumption tests. If its more than 1 qt per 1000 miles, they typically will give you a short block. Make sure you fight for the long block because the shortblock will not fix the problem.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Reality350

I have had my 35th for 3 months, put almost 2k miles on it. I have experienced ZERO oil loss.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:15 AM
bofa

You sir, deserve a cookie.

I'm just jealous...
Old 01-20-2007, 05:33 PM
creationv2

hmm so it looks like imma ask about hte long block....also did it take you guys 3 1000 mile tests before they called nissan tech?

and

98ekhatch did you get a loner since it hasnt been answered yet?

and im not a first qtr z....more like second/third of 06
Old 01-20-2007, 05:37 PM
djscotty

the dealer told me the same thing about the 700 mile test. They said that they where going to seal the engine up and i was wondering what that entails. Havent checked my oil til the other day and it was even registering on the dipstick. i have 7000 miles on it and changed the oil at 3000.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:40 PM
silverZ2006

My 06 was made the month of may. So far, I added 1qt of oil after 1200 miles as of now I have 2700 and it hasn't eatin anymore. Im thinking it ate a quart early on was due to break in. I broke it in super easy for the first 1200, just as the dealer said.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:31 PM
creationv2

well i called the dealership and they said switching out the motor or antyhing isnt going to fix the problem and that they figured it out to be something wrong with the ecm....

anybody get that as a response?

Quick Reply: Im another oil consumption victim