Old 02-05-2007, 11:04 AM
skmaxima2535

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats NA
Old 02-05-2007, 11:37 AM
nismology1

Originally Posted by sunmind
Thanks to the boys "down under"... I got my billet camshafts, double valve springs, adjustable vernier gears and engine management system from Oz (for the 3000GT) which were just not available in the U.S.

We Poms aren't bad at messing with engines either... the headers were custom made in the U.K. by the guys that fabricate for Ralliart and Ford rally teams. I confess to an interest in those Cosworth cylinder heads for my Z.. after warranty has expired ..!!

The shipping between the U.S. and U.K. was bloody expensive though, not to mention the Aussie, British and U.S. Customs all getting their piece of the action
I'm sorry but what does this 3000GT n/a buildup have to do with the VQ35DE?
Old 02-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Nismo 350z

Originally Posted by skmaxima2535
whats NA
Naturally Aspirated
Old 02-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Nismo 350z

Originally Posted by JapsFinest
ok...here is the deal. As I said with my first post on this thread...i dont care if I spend.."X"amount on a NA motor that will put down the same power as a 7K FI setup.
I'm sure I will have more usable power coming out of the apex then a turbo car that does not have the linear power that I will have.
updates on the setup:
What I'm currently researching on is the heads.
I am considering going with the Cosworth heads and going with an oversized intake valve, they offer it in a +1mm intake and exhaust. I would like to go with a +2mm intake.and use their +1mm exhaust. With a good tune I should be able to make my power goal. the cosworth head is good to 10500 rpm's

I have put the bottom end on hold for the mean time. Since I know that the stroker kit is only going to be raising my displacement and my torque. I have been thinking of going with the crower stroker crank with a custom venolia piston. That is not for sure yet, since the CP is just fine. .

The only thing have not figured out is if I want to use or disable the VTC. I dont really see it hurting me but I would need to find a tuner that is knowledgeable with its functions.

Once that that is built (estimate 3 to 4 months) tranny and drivetrain is my next issue. The rear-end will hold the hp, the torque of the 4.1 is questionable. I know that the tranny will def. not hold. I have put 600hp on my is300 with the supra getrag v160. that may be an option or the GM t56 may also be another option.

Just imagine the engine note of a stroked vq, high compression, with ITB's, at 9500 rpm's.....If thats not motivation to go NA i dont know what is.
btw..for those that support the project.Thank you and keep checking back. I will post as the motor makes progress

the 17-20K price mentioned above is a realistic figure and it does not include drivetrain(tranny/rearend), wheels, suspension, brakes, or chasis reinforcement. I'm sure I will have the motor built in the next 6 months but it will probably be a year before the motor will ever see the car.
That mod list sounds great for a NA setup. But u need to factor in a few more things. I can see you are planning on running a stroker kit, but why not bore out the cyl. as well? Also cam selection will be a definite plus. Try something like Nismo S2 because they are the most aggresive cams available for the vq35. They are rated at 284 I believe. You can also order a set of custom Nismo cams. You will need to use Nismo VTC pullies though. Also if u want something to control the VTC timing, try a motec m600/m800. Those will offer full control over variable valve timing. Now intake wise, I dont think u can stuff the dual intake from the vqhr in our Zs. Your car is an 06 right? There might not be enough hood clearance. So the only choice is either an ITB kit(this will disable the drive-by-wire) or a really really good plenum design with a large diameter intake pipe and high flow throttle body. Exhaust wise you need something like crawford headers and to get max flow... do test pipes. Disable the MAF sensor as well to get max. intake flow. Thats all i can think off right now. I will let u know if I got more info for u. Good luck on the build.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:55 PM
nismology1

If you read first instead of typing, you would have realized that I was responding to the Aussie guy that has done precisely what is under discussion, namely built an N/A Z beyond 300 h.p. He made a comment about my engine first, I was being courteous.
He did? I checked and didn't see that.
Discussions relating to whether engines should be N/A or FI should include vital data such as what costs are involved and where those costs are derived. Since I own both a modified Z and a highly-modified 3000GT, I believe I was making a contribution to the discussion, since the principles are almost identical. Guys contemplating such a level of modification should probably be aware of the outlay in front of them.
Your list is pretty detailed, yes, but i think half of those items are either unnecessary or don't apply in a VQ35 context. What you've done to that motor is impressive, but i believe the VQ35 is a much better n/a platform and i don't want people to think that what you did to your engine is necessary to have a SERIOUS all-motor VQ35. I'm not a believer in just throwing money at an engine and hoping for good results. Speaking in general...not saying that's what you did...
Old 02-05-2007, 08:01 PM
BhamZMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice stuff, I hope you can pull it off . I would rather spend my cash on a built TT setup, but I respect anyone having the ***** to do something different. Just dont add some kind of ridiculous ****ing wing to it after your done .
Old 02-06-2007, 04:40 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey guys, as i have stated before, my car is currently being rebuilt, i am using 12.7 CR pistons with just the right cams to get it up around 14 to 1. everything blue printed and balanced, lightened as much as possible within reason, ported heads, full valvetrain, etc...

i dont see why it wouldnt put down over 300.

hopefully the motor will be done in less than a month, i am going to have my stock 6 speed tranny on it for now and then put the th400 on later on.

i will have a write up on it very very soon....

i pmed you japsfinest..
Old 02-06-2007, 05:14 AM
RBlover69

nice jeremy there should be a package offered when its proven .Something like 300rwhp NA pacakge lmao. Good luck man And all who are going the NA route. I will be there shortly.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:56 AM
Zilvia

well im def excited to follow this build up. Nice to see a change in the community.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Nismo 350z

Thank you

Recommendations noted about the bodywork... it will remain like this:

Of course, there's always my Z... waiting for the same treatment

Beautiful cars u got there.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh yes, of course i am using race fuel, i do want it to start... hehe

update coming soon, pistons will be here in 4 days!!