Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Motul Tranny and Diff oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Fluid1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motul Tranny and Diff oil

Has anyone used the eith of these:

MOTYLGEAR 75W90 SYNTHETIC BLEND GEARBOX OIL A great high performance synthetic blend gear oil for gearboxes and rear ends. Perfect for older boxes that are harder to shift and have a tendency to "snick" or "grind" going into gear, this oil has additives which help to reduce gear mesh. A strong friction reduction package increases mileage, while extending the life of the gearbox.
API GL4 and GL5 MIL-L2105C

GEAR 300 75W90 100% ESTER SYNTHETIC
Motul's highest quality 100% ESTER BASED synthetic 75W90 gearbox oil. Designed for today's high performance vehicles, and all out race cars. This lubricant is virtually unshearable. Its stability at high temperatures make it ideal for extreme conditions. Many endurance professional race teams swear by this oil. Designed for transmission gearboxes and rear axles. API GL4 and GL5/MIL-L-2105C

The most information that I have been able to find is in the DIY thread on how to change the oil. Well, I know how to change it. What I don't know is what oil can be used, and which is best for our application.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:13 AM
98sr20ve

I used one of those in the past. Can't remember which off the top of my head. I remember it costing just a little more then the Redline. I also had my transmission lock out of 5th grear after about 15mins at the track. No one I knew with the same car had that issue with the redline. I think I was sheering it.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:58 AM
98sr20ve

I used Gear 300.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:45 AM
shushikiary

I used the gear 300 75w90 in my VLSD and in the tranny... works quite well, been in there for almost 6000 miles now. Seemed to make the tranny shift smoother, and helped alot in the cold too.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We carry both, but will probably be switching exclusively to the 300V gear oil. It just makes sense, since its a 100% Ester Synthetic gear oil, and not too much more expensive for the infrequent intervals of a trans oil change. We carry Motul in stock if you need anything..see here: http://www.forgedperformance.com/store/home.php?cat=278
Old 02-08-2007, 02:23 PM
98sr20ve

Based on my experiance with the Motul 300 I will use Redline Shockproof lightweight once I start tracking this car. NA it's probably not needed but my SE-R did not like the 8000rpm in 4th grear with the 300. People with the same setup had no issues using shockproof. Don't know what you want out of the oil, but if track events are in the future I would use the shockproof. I know people here love Motul, and lord knows you could not pay me to put redline oil in my engine again but I like their gear oil.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by 98sr20ve
Based on my experiance with the Motul 300 I will use Redline Shockproof lightweight once I start tracking this car. NA it's probably not needed but my SE-R did not like the 8000rpm in 4th grear with the 300. People with the same setup had no issues using shockproof. Don't know what you want out of the oil, but if track events are in the future I would use the shockproof. I know people here love Motul, and lord knows you could not pay me to put redline oil in my engine again but I like their gear oil.
Have you tried the Motul in a VQ35 gearbox?
Old 02-08-2007, 06:56 PM
98sr20ve

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Have you tried the Motul in a VQ35 gearbox?
No. I Don't think it really matters. If it didn't hold up in my other transmission and others have had great success with redline shockproof in that same transmission (which is a know weak link and very tough on oils), I will choose Redline over the Motul for my new transmission. I think it’s fair to extrapolate out the results at least to some degree. I'm not getting into a big internet argument about it either. It's my opinion based on my experience with the product. Just like I don’t need to retry the Redline Motor oil in my VQ. One Blackstone lab result from using that was enough to say never again. You probably have a different view, you sell the product. Have you tried the Redline Shockproof? BTW, I am not saying the Motul was a bad product. I liked it until I started running if for 15mins+ at the track with the increased HP and RPM. I would still like the Motul 300 for a non-track driven car. I know you track your car, if you use the Motul then thats great. I just think the Shockproof is a little better for a track car. Street car I think it's overkill and I would just use the Motul.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:49 AM
Fluid1

No. I Don't think it really matters. If it didn't hold up in my other transmission and others have had great success with redline shockproof in that same transmission (which is a know weak link and very tough on oils), I will choose Redline over the Motul for my new transmission. I think it’s fair to extrapolate out the results at least to some degree. I'm not getting into a big internet argument about it either. It's my opinion based on my experience with the product. Just like I don’t need to retry the Redline Motor oil in my VQ. One Blackstone lab result from using that was enough to say never again. You probably have a different view, you sell the product. Have you tried the Redline Shockproof? BTW, I am not saying the Motul was a bad product. I liked it until I started running if for 15mins+ at the track with the increased HP and RPM. I would still like the Motul 300 for a non-track driven car. I know you track your car, if you use the Motul then thats great. I just think the Shockproof is a little better for a track car. Street car I think it's overkill and I would just use the Motul.
Of course, my VQ only revvs up to about 6700rpm's.....which is much less than the 8k you were seeing....

Thanks for the info, Steve and Sharif.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:01 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

My appologies if you thought I was getting into a debate, as that was not my intention. The 350Z gearbox has some weird quirks to it, so I was just suggesting that certain oils might work better in certain gearboxes. No worries.

We track our 600whp car 1-2 times per month for 20-30min track sessions, and the gearbox shifts like butter. I have tried Redline, and Royal Purple in the gearbox, and didnt notice a big improvement over stock'ish oils, but would never say they are "bad", per se. Not sure if Shockproof is a different line of Redline. I used MT90 Redline in my gearbox.

As I've mentioned before, oil selection is very much about personal preference, so if you find something that works for you...great.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:37 AM
98sr20ve

My appologies if you thought I was getting into a debate, as that was not my intention. The 350Z gearbox has some weird quirks to it, so I was just suggesting that certain oils might work better in certain gearboxes. No worries.

We track our 600whp car 1-2 times per month for 20-30min track sessions, and the gearbox shifts like butter. I have tried Redline, and Royal Purple in the gearbox, and didnt notice a big improvement over stock'ish oils, but would never say they are "bad", per se. Not sure if Shockproof is a different line of Redline. I used MT90 Redline in my gearbox.

As I've mentioned before, oil selection is very much about personal preference, so if you find something that works for you...great.
Got a little defensive I guess. I just get tired of the people on this forum who think the 350Z is SO unique that nothing but 350Z experiance applies. If you are using Motul 300 with good success that says a lot. I watched your video and you drive it VERY smoothly. Made it look like you were not even going fast but clearly you were. Kudos.

Shockproof is a step up from the MT90. MT90 is like your Gear 300 but I would choose the Gear 300 over the MT90. Shockproof is really custom made for your car in some ways. It works great to minimize the stress on the transmission that comes from turbos, drag racing etc. It has the Lightweight which flows more like your Gear 300 and the Heavyweight which is so thick it doesn't flow very well till it has some heat. After that it feels the same as any other oil but adds a lot of protection. Someone who is really tough on a tranny would benifit from the Shockproof line. You don't seem to be one of those people.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Fluid1

Where can this be found, Steve?

I'll be landing in Denver on the 24th at 3:15pm....
Old 02-10-2007, 04:28 PM
98sr20ve

Originally Posted by Fluid1
Where can this be found, Steve?

I'll be landing in Denver on the 24th at 3:15pm....
Where can what be found?

How long you staying? Where you going again?
Old 02-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Fluid1

Where can what be found?

How long you staying? Where you going again?
I meant where can the Shockproof be found.

I'm actually flying directly into Eagle Vail this year, not Denver. I'll be in Vail from 02/24 to 03/03

Thanks again,
Old 02-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So it's better to use Motul 300 75W90 to be used in both the Tranny and LSD?

How much is everyone using in both?
Old 02-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ

This doesn't make sense.

Here.
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction-diy/131098-changing-the-differential-transmission-oil.html
Old 02-13-2007, 05:34 AM
98sr20ve

Originally Posted by Fluid1
I meant where can the Shockproof be found.

I'm actually flying directly into Eagle Vail this year, not Denver. I'll be in Vail from 02/24 to 03/03

Thanks again,
Google "My Oil Shop" and "HRP World" I love to buy stuff from HRP world as they have the best catalog ever. It's has so much racing hardware and parts that it makes your head spin.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:49 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ

300V 75-90 for the gearbox (4 liters), and ONLY for a factory LSD, open diff, or Quaife (2 Liters). If you run a clutch style LSD, such as Nismo, Carbonetics, Cusco, then use the Motul 90PA.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:04 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We carry both, but will probably be switching exclusively to the 300V gear oil. It just makes sense, since its a 100% Ester Synthetic gear oil, and not too much more expensive for the infrequent intervals of a trans oil change. We carry Motul in stock if you need anything..see here: http://www.forgedperformance.com/store/home.php?cat=278
Would you expect the 300v to help more than the regular formula with difficult shifts in a cold tranny or is it really just formulated for high-temp abuse?
Old 02-22-2007, 01:53 PM
PHARM Z

I'm about to get my tranny and diff oil changed with the Motyl Gear 75W90 from Sharif. Just wondering if I need the "friction modifiers"?

Quick Reply: Motul Tranny and Diff oil