Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

1800 hp VQ, step aside 2jz

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zexy
Nice... Now hopefully the time will come when the VQ is par reliable with the 2jz without spending thousands more!
you have to calculate the original price of the supra. the 2jz was obviously designed for boost to begin with but you paid for it in the price of the car.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:45 AM
FEARSM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
Yea but u got to understand the 2JZ...while a great motor... is nothing more than a dyno/highway queen. We have guys with 400-450whp Z's running 11's. I have yet to see a Supra do that with 400whp. They need at least 500+ to do that. Supra was a good car but the Z is showing its potential and undoubtedley... it will suprass it.
You have no clue what you are talking about. There are several BPU supras in the 11's that are under 500 hp. I owned one myself. LOL..there are 2 built turbo charged Z's here. I would love to run either at the track or street to see if my car is a dyno queen or not.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:18 PM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

I definately think it will be more expensive to make 1200hp with a 350z than a Supra. The Supra comes turbo from the factory so right off the bat it is a stronger motor. Yes, anything over 800rwhp reliably you must build but it is still stronger. But, the Supra did cost $48-52k back in the day and the Z costs mid $30s. You have 14 years experience with the Supra and 4 years with the Z.

The other thing you must think about is how to make 1200hp. The supra is easier because you have plenty of room to put a larger turbo or turbos. The z, the largest twin turbo configuration you can fit is a GT30r and probably a 35r if you decide to "massage" the underbody. If you want to run a large single like the 47-88 you have to completely redo the front radiator support. On the Supra, you just chop the exhaust manifold down put a T6 flange on it and you are done.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:25 PM
tsopranoIS300

only replacement for displacement is put on a BIG turbo..

1100 RWHP, and a STREET CAR.....
Old 02-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

It is just too bad when the big displacement guys put on BIG turbos.

Originally Posted by tsopranoIS300
only replacement for displacement is put on a BIG turbo..
Old 02-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

thats friggin ignorant to even compare a 3.5 litre ALUMINUM block motor to a 3.0 IRON block thats been around since 1992....clearly the 2JZ motor is capable in holding a LOT more power, in STOCK form, no girdle's or sleeve's necessary like you need on the VQ....and the stock internals have been solid @ 1000 HP...I've never seen a stock VQ35 do that before...i'm talking about STOCK....with a big single or twin set up....

plus, still have yet to see XTREME's video of getting into the 6's..they have been known to lie before, not sure if they even post on this board anymore..and they certainly did NOT run that in competition either...but PM did in fall 2005 with Vinny Ten driving....

no doubt, its a factory twin turbo motor....i'm sick of ignorant people(kids) claiming that the current VQ in the 350z and G35 is capable of such power, without spending a ****load of money to reinforce the block and head...unlike the 2JZ

You better surf the board a little more before you come at me with that attitude. Not as many "kids" on here as you think bub. This thread was obviously not about a "stock" motor. And who in their right mind would spend a ton of money on a RB or 2JZ swap and not build the motor? So take all your stock talk into another forum section. We are talking about a 2500whp motor here, slick.

See that statement where you call me ignorant for comparing an aluminum block to an iron block?? what did you just do right after that statement?? Compare the two motors. stock for stock....you are comparing a boosted motor to a NA motor. Obviously stronger sleeves, lower compression, stronger internals will allow a "stock block" supra to make more power, stock. The design was engineered around turbos for christ sake. Secondly, no one said anything about boosting a stock block. Are you retarded or illiterate? As for being a kid....One more year in my 20s left. Still a kid to you? Take your IS300 over to the surpa boards. You are obviously bias.

How is calling the VQ more than capable an ignorant statement? If you spend all that money on a swap (just to swap...not to build), you just spent what it would take to built the VQ with turbos.......

Last edited by Old School; 02-20-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:24 PM
tsopranoIS300

hey slick, nobody "sleeves" 2JZ's....just FYI...and stock for stock, the 2JZ motor is clearly "stronger and built for boost", thats not even debatable....fine. even built vs built, the 2JZ can and has held more...just look up BULLISH RACING, MSP, RACE REDI, SOUND PERFORMANCE, TITAN MOTORSPORTS, etc

i'm not biased at all either, quite the contrary...I'm all for a good debate here with FACTS...and not hearsay ....easy on the name calling...we're around the same age, I meant the "kid" label to the 17/18 yr olds who think they know everything....and think that by slapping on a turbonetics turbo kit to make their Z push 450 on a stock motor makes their VQ powered car godlike...I raced a guy like that before, thought his Z was better then mine, twin turbo 6 speed Z with 450 rwhp vs a single turbo'd automatic 4 door sedan...he was sorely mistaken...he ended up blowing his engine to boot

Last edited by tsopranoIS300; 02-20-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

hey slick, nobody "sleeves" 2JZ's....just FYI...and stock for stock, the 2JZ motor is clearly "stronger and built for boost", thats not even debatable....fine. even built vs built, the 2JZ can and has held more...just look up BULLISH RACING, MSP, RACE REDI, SOUND PERFORMANCE, TITAN MOTORSPORTS, etc

i'm not biased at all either, quite the contrary...I'm all for a good debate here with FACTS...and not hearsay ....easy on the name calling...we're around the same age, I meant the "kid" label to the 17/18 yr olds who think they know everything....and think that by slapping on a turbonetics turbo kit to make their Z push 450 on a stock motor makes their VQ powered car godlike...I raced a guy like that before, thought his Z was better then mine, twin turbo 6 speed Z with 450 rwhp vs a single turbo'd automatic 4 door sedan...he was sorely mistaken...he ended up blowing his engine to boot
Not arguing the fact the 2Jz is a good motor....just stated that ppl should rethink their swaps...why swap when you have a capable platform? No one sleeves the 2jZ? My buddy has two of those motor resleeved. one in his supra (obviously) and the other in his 240sx. Both FULL drag cars. One running 8s (240), and one in the 9s. Both pushing over 1000whp. I'm a fan of the 2JZ and love inline 6s. Anytime you have a factory turbo motor....you will always have the potential for high hp b/c the engine was engineered for boost. NA motors do not have to withstand the pressure that turbocharged motors do, so parts don't have to be as bullet proof. We are arguing over BS.....you just misunderstood me. That's all. No name calling btw...just asked if you could read. lol.

Either way....2500whp for the VQ....I honestly didn't think it'd happen this fast. WOW>
Old 02-20-2007, 01:38 PM
ekim81

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
you just made us look like those ignorant rsx owners who think their cars are untouchable (not all, just the ones that everyone here complains about).

and did you call the supra owners "ricers"??? ....................................

Last edited by ekim81; 02-20-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:58 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2jz is a closed deck block vs the Vq35 open deck block wich makes it stronger. If the vq35 was a closed deck block it would handle more power. I dont think anyone sleeves a closed deck block. Hell my old 2.3 turbo ford engine was a closed deck block i ran 20psi in it for a long time with no tuning untill a piston melted. With tuning and a holset they are good for 550hp or so on stock internals, but its a closed deck block with low compression forged internals from the factory, back in the 80s.

Closed deck.

Open deck.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Amiricanmade

Originally Posted by ekim81
you just made us look like those ignorant rsx owners who think their cars are untouchable (not all, just the ones that everyone here complains about).

and did you call the supra owners "ricers"??? ....................................
+1, you make Z owners look like ricers..you faahgg!
Old 02-20-2007, 03:15 PM
nismology1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although the 2JZ will handle more power out of the box, the VQ35 heads are superior and the extra displacement allows the VQ35 to make more power PSI for PSI and have a broader, less peaky powerband at higher power levels. Not to mention how much lighter and shorter it is. Just another angle....

Can't wait until the GT-R is released. The TT HR will close the gap considerably.

Last edited by nismology1; 02-20-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:28 PM
VQLOVER

Originally Posted by 98sr20ve
Who cares. Not me. I would buy a real car before a sank 100K into a 350Z or a 10 year old Toyota.
I agree. When fipping through the pages of my tuner magazines I will see these guys that brag about having 60k+ put in their car. I would much rather just take the money and buy a <insert car>. For me personally it would be a 911 turbo. But some people don't care how much they put in their car it's just for fun and that's cool too.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:30 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

thats friggin ignorant to even compare a 3.5 litre ALUMINUM block motor to a 3.0 IRON block thats been around since 1992....clearly the 2JZ motor is capable in holding a LOT more power, in STOCK form, no girdle's or sleeve's necessary like you need on the VQ....and the stock internals have been solid @ 1000 HP...I've never seen a stock VQ35 do that before...i'm talking about STOCK....with a big single or twin set up....

plus, still have yet to see XTREME's video of getting into the 6's..they have been known to lie before, not sure if they even post on this board anymore..and they certainly did NOT run that in competition either...but PM did in fall 2005 with Vinny Ten driving....
stop getting your panties in a wad.. the 2JZ-GE can't make 1000 whp on stock internals...
Old 02-20-2007, 03:55 PM
$9kttSUPRA

Originally Posted by doug
stop getting your panties in a wad.. the 2JZ-GE can't make 1000 whp on stock internals...
Maybe not a GE . But a 2JZ-GTE can and do all day !!! http://www.t04r.com/member.php?show=mike.carlin

I'll place money on my 14yo Toyota whupping a similiary modded VQ35
ANY DAY of the week !!! Bring it !!! That 1800hp Z,ain't no car !!! That's a
total redesign !!! Lemme put 40k in my motor and see what'll happen !!!
That's a trailer QUEEN right there !!!

Let's see some numbers on a STREETABLE car !!! With a NISSAN ISSUED
BLOCK,HEAD,PISTONS AND RODS !!!!

1000hp Supra's can be had for 10k if you know what your doing.

Hell NA-T Supras post pretty high numbers ALL-DAY-LONG !!!

And yes that was a CHILDISH thing to do...posting on the SF like that.
You wanna fit in then grow up. I got no beef with the Z's. You all have
BEEF with us.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:58 PM
98sr20ve

Originally Posted by Hal@IP
Are you referring to these race motors? If so, they run much more than 10k.
The girdle alone is $4500, plus two sets of sleeves (billet outers, darton inners), etc etc. Machine work adds up on these too, it is not just your standard build putting that kind of an engine together.

PS. They have made over 2500hp now, ON GAS! Twin GT47's @ 50+psi. madness.
I said "Most people are spending less then 10K" In other words, most 350Z people buying a built motor are spending less then 10K. Most people are not doing sleeves. Just Pistons, rods, etc.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:08 PM
98sr20ve

Originally Posted by InjectedPerf
I definately think it will be more expensive to make 1200hp with a 350z than a Supra. The Supra comes turbo from the factory so right off the bat it is a stronger motor. Yes, anything over 800rwhp reliably you must build but it is still stronger. But, the Supra did cost $48-52k back in the day and the Z costs mid $30s. You have 14 years experience with the Supra and 4 years with the Z.

The other thing you must think about is how to make 1200hp. The supra is easier because you have plenty of room to put a larger turbo or turbos. The z, the largest twin turbo configuration you can fit is a GT30r and probably a 35r if you decide to "massage" the underbody. If you want to run a large single like the 47-88 you have to completely redo the front radiator support. On the Supra, you just chop the exhaust manifold down put a T6 flange on it and you are done.
I was wondering about that. GT30r is a great turbo. Isn't it a 550hp rated turbo. So thats 1100hp give or take. I think it's all acedemic anyway. That much power is going to require major work on the drivetrain, etc. So a massaged chassis (BFH ) is not a big deal.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:02 PM
tsopranoIS300

Originally Posted by doug
Dave-H did....search on supraforums for him or www.boostwerx.com
Old 02-20-2007, 06:03 PM
eliazar

very nice
Old 02-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Zridder19

did you seriously call the supra owners "ricers"?!?!? are you stoopid?

you are comparing apples to oranges.... 3.4L GT47-88 Turbo GTE stroker made 1359rwhp at 42psi . **Ryan Woon- FASTEST 6 SPEED SUPRA. STILL HAS RECORD. FULL TRIM!** Ryan Woon

No N2O
Best 1/4 8.62@171.28mph
Best Mph 171.28mph
Best 60ft 1.38
3.4L Equipped
3550lbs at the Scale.

I love Z's and Supra's. Im very unbiased. Why cant we all be friends?

Last edited by Zridder19; 02-20-2007 at 06:53 PM.

Quick Reply: 1800 hp VQ, step aside 2jz